Shenmue inspired trips to japan topic

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue inspired trips to japan topic

Postby wude » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:50 am

NHK world has some cool learning programs too, first i thought wtf this is childish, but it's actually working

wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby stigee » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:16 pm

It has been a long time since I have been on the forums... I seem to get caught up with other things and forget about the forums and then one day something will bring me back. Anyway enough of the nostalgia.

I have known a few people that lived in Japan for a number of years because they did the (Japanese Exchange Teaching) JET Program. If I had known about it before graduating college I would have applied. I say it is your best "free" ticket to Japan. I believe they pay for pretty much everything and they provide housing (you have to pay for the rent but I think it is subsidized). You don't even need to know Japanese because you are there to teach English but you will probably pick it up fast because you are emerged in it. Not sure if someone had already mentioned it in the post but it is an idea.
stigee
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mue 26 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:30 am

^
Yeah, I know someone who is doing something similar, but because they're working such extreme hours they actually have relatively little time to study the language.

@Ryudo, the sort of websites listed already are probably your best bet if you have absolutely no money whatsoever (but remember to practice writing by hand! And not just computer) but I would really recommend buying a textbook and working through it, if you want to get serious about self-study (maybe ask for it as a Christmas present). The first study book I used was the Japanese For Busy People series which I found to be very helpful. Of course, I have to state that nothing compares to taking actual classes and practising with an actual native speaker, but there's no reason at all why you can't make a good start by yourself in the meantime, even with no money!

A couple more tips from my own experience, if you wish to get serious about learning the language as fast as you can, are to practice every day(for ideally, at least an hour): get into the habit of this rather than once or twice a week, it will make a huge difference! Don't waste time: Immerse your in the language as much as is possible, replace watching English language movies with Japanese ones, instead of reading an American comic read a Japanese one. These things will speed up your Japanese study greatly!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:08 am

wude wrote:NHK world has some cool learning programs too, first i thought wtf this is childish, but it's actually working

So the top yes JGILF (Japanese girl I'd like to fuck)

Bottom is Japanese guy playing David Warner as the TGI scientist in TMNTII Secret of the Ooze.

FUCK YEAH I KNOW JAPANESE MOTHERFUCKERS!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:15 am

Oppy would only really know the answer to this, but would Japan be easier to get to from Australia than from Europe? If it us, it could very much be a possibility in the coming years!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby lavrentis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 pm

I am 19 from the UK and love Shenmue, I will be going on my own to Japan this year. Going to be scary on my own but can't wait to see Dobuita street xD

This definitely was a Shenmue inspired trip, it turned me into a bit of a Japanophile.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spokane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 pm

As long as your not Japanophobic.

Lucky you, I'm sure it'll be fun as heck. I pray your journey is a safe one.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby lavrentis » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Spokane wrote:As long as your not Japanophobic.

Lucky you, I'm sure it'll be fun as heck. I pray your journey is a safe one.

Thanks, it should be great.

Brushing up on my Japanese now \:D/
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spokane » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 pm

Are you pretty good at it, like fluent?
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Re: Shenmue fans fulfilling a dream

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:I was fascinated from the very first moment. It wasn't just the city itself, it was everything - the people, the architecture, the food, the tech, the landscape and so much more. I will never forget how i got out of the subway station, ready to step onto a Tokyo street for the first time in my life - and it was raining so badly. To my surprise a woman ran up to me, hold her umbrella over my head (getting wet herself) and asking me if i need directions. She was not a tourist guide, official or anything, just a common housewife caring about some random stranger in a city of 30 million people. From that moment on i knew i finally came "home".

The job i applied to was actually a rather boring frontdesk job for an agency renting appartments to foreigners in Tokyo. However, when i sent them my CV they were immediately like "You have so much experience with computers, we have an opening for a systems administrator job". So i got offered a much higher paid job without even asking. I'd not have had a problem getting the lowest paid job and cleaningg the hotel or whatever. I think being a stooge in Tokyo beats being a king in germany, but you need to have been there to understand that.

That's very cool.

Japan is in the backburner. A friend of mine has family in Kyoto and he tells me all I have to do is give the word and i'll have my own room waiting for me by the time I get there. Can take the bullet train to Tokyo in about 6 hours time. I'm still taking up on his offer.

But I have other places I want to see still. UK, the rest of Ireland, Australia. Hell, I want to go back to Amsterdam and visit Prauge. Since my last trip, i've been wanting to see the rest of the world. And get piss fucking drunk while i'm there.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 am

My older brother and I visited Japan for a week back in 2008. We had a friend who was going to school in Tokyo and he let us stay at his place for free. We also get basically free (just pay tax) flights because of my grandfathers seniority for United. I'd love to go back and see more of Japan, we stayed in Tokyo. Good fun and I actually took pictures for once... :P

Unfortunately I played Shenmue for the first time after I visited Japan. Wonder how my trip would have differed if I had played Shenmue first. Anyway, as much as I want to visit Japan again, Shenmue has really inspired me to visit Hong Kong and Guilin. It's pretty much my dream vacation :)
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby lavrentis » Tue May 01, 2012 8:52 am

Spokane wrote:Are you pretty good at it, like fluent?

No I have never learnt it but I'd like to be able to say some simple things when I'm there
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Lyo » Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 am

Hello,

I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I think that considering the recents informations on Fukushima situation,
I'll personnally not go to Japan for now, but really want to go there one day.

A lot of informations can be find on this website (in french and english) :
http://fukushima.over-blog.fr/

Peace.
Lyo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: FREE

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat May 26, 2012 9:30 am

Lyo wrote:Hello,

I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I think that considering the recents informations on Fukushima situation,
I'll personnally not go to Japan for now, but really want to go there one day.

A lot of informations can be find on this website (in french and english) :
http://fukushima.over-blog.fr/

Peace.

Your decision. ALways will be. Seriously, i just wish there were less people with zero knowledge trying to spread disinformation about it. You're right when you dont recommend to live in Fukushima city and surrounding areas for a long time, but imho being like "I don't go to Japan because of Fukushima" is ridiculous. I have seen so many foreign douchebags in japan who were just paranoid or had fun trying to spread panic, there was one guy in a subway with a geiger counter and he was like "OMG look at the radiation!!!" and actually the readings were lower than the normal background level here in Germany where i live. I even met people who were like "OMG, california is radiated due to Fukushima!!!". I cant read that french website very well but i highly doubt it can tell us anything new. Imho analyzing the situation of Fukushima from France is as effective as writing about the syria riots from your pool chair in palm beach.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 26, 2012 12:02 pm

I don't give a shit if the second coming was going on and satan himself took over Japan. I'm going there some day. It may be the last thing I do in life but I don't care. I'd die happy.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue