Shenmue Composers/Music

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue Composers/Music

Postby realnabarl » Sun May 01, 2011 6:36 pm

I found this video on YouTube, the title says this piece is by Yuzo Koshiro. But I just think it is a guessing, with no proof.

Just curious, is there a composing list of Shenmue 2? Comparing to Shenmue (what has several soundtracks released, some info could be found there), Shenmue II composing list is totally unknown from the public AFAIK. Does anyone got some info about that? Even very little info would be nice.
realnabarl
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue II Composers?

Postby VGAce » Mon May 02, 2011 1:33 am

Koshiro is often erroneously credited with being the main composer for the Shenmue series (in fact a good handful of composers were responsible; it was largely an ensemble cast of musical geniuses IMO), so his name is often attributed to a lot of Shenmue music. Your assumption that his accreditation here is just a guess is likely correct, though I don't know for certain. As no official soundtrack for Shenmue II was ever released, there's no solid documentation for the composition of the music and especially for individual tracks. At least none that I've ever seen. Which is a shame since there are some real gems in the Shenmue II soundtrack and I always believe in people getting credit for their work.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 02, 2011 1:39 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42698&p=919547&hilit=composers#p919547
Yeah Koshiro. He also did Shinobi and Ys.(ys has some of the best music in gaming history)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Supa » Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 am

VGAce wrote:Koshiro is often erroneously credited with being the main composer for the Shenmue series (in fact a good handful of composers were responsible; it was largely an ensemble cast of musical geniuses IMO), so his name is often attributed to a lot of Shenmue music. Your assumption that his accreditation here is just a guess is likely correct, though I don't know for certain. As no official soundtrack for Shenmue II was ever released, there's no solid documentation for the composition of the music and especially for individual tracks. At least none that I've ever seen. Which is a shame since there are some real gems in the Shenmue II soundtrack and I always believe in people getting credit for their work.

Holy...where'd you pop up from man? How's it going?

Anyways, to the OP, I was talking to Takenobu Mitsuyoshi recently and it'd take most of the composers sitting down at a round table meeting to tell who exactly wrote what. There are so many different songs in both games, and so many composers were working with the project. The soundtracks are about the only things that credited songs to specific composers.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby VGAce » Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 am

Supa wrote:Holy...where'd you pop up from man? How's it going?

Popped my head in a few days ago for old time's sake. Been hanging around a little since then. :)
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Mon May 02, 2011 3:32 am

Remember me? We joined around the same time, I used to be the (super lame) Shenmaster777. Started the Shenmue II mini secrets thread.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdbo4iOsfc[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:05 am

Looking around i found the following names attached to Shenmue's music. Not sure if this list is right?

Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Yuzo Koshiro, Takeshi Yanagawa, Osamu Murata, and Ryuji Iuchi
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:10 am

Yuzo Koshiro is the fucking man. Did ys I&II(still his best work) Actraiser,Streets of Rage,Revenge of Shinobi,Shenmue.
That video of Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is just fun to watch.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:33 am

Indeed looking at some of the games they have worked on makes me sad to think most devs simply pay to use licensed music now days or have 3 tracks repeated all game.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Yasuhiro Takagi was the sound director for Shenmue II - the same role Takenobu Mitsuyoshi had in the orignal Shenmue. I have heard that Mitsuyoshi found the original Shenmue a huge challenge to work on, and it's possible that is why he wasn't as involved with the sequel.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Did he not say he had recored 100's of extra tracks for future games?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Did he? Don't recall any stuff I've read mentioning that. As we all know though, there are a lot of Shenmue-related musical pieces that don't feature in either of the games. It's possible that some didn't make the cut, or - as you mention - some of them were preliminary pieces that could've been adapted for future games.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Shenmue 1 music

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:26 am

I can't for the life of me find the song that plays the very first day in Yamanose and if you know the name where can I DL it. Also I really hope we get a music DL center like the old site. Feature I really miss.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Re: Shenmue music help

Postby Jackie Harris » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:55 am

I downloaded most of the Shenmue music from here when it was still available. I think this is the track you're after:

- link removed -

I hope it's okay posting links like this. I'll just leave the track there long enough for you to get it.
Last edited by Jackie Harris on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Harris

Currently playing: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue