Is Shenmue your favourite video game series of all time?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Is Shenmue your favourite video game series of all time?

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:01 pm

I know this might come across as a question with an obvious answer but I know some people here think Shenmue just aint all that and that's fine but I think it would be good to discuss why it might not be and what is instead and why that is your favourite game, be interesting to know why Shenmue is most people's favourite game here and why it wont change anytime soon.
So what makes Shenmue special to you? And if it's not that special why not?

I mean Shenmue 1 & 2

My answer is simple

Mario - great gameplay

Zelda - great gameplay/music

Metal Gear Solid - story/music

GTA - great gameplay/music

Shenmue - It Only Does Everything

:)
Last edited by DoubleO_Ren on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Is Shenmue you're favourite game of all time?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Y'know, I usually put it at the top of "Favourite Game" lists n shit, but tbh, I don't have an actual favourite, but it's one of them. Some games you just can't compare. It's like when people rave about the greatest footballer of all time, it's an impossible question, coz you can't really compare a Goalkeeper to a Striker.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:09 pm

It's not but used to be. Shenmue is my second fave. (btw I'm playing it right now)
However less than a year ago was introduced to Ys. That is my fave series. Amazing gameplay Fantasy adventure old school gameplay to when gaming was its best and many other reasons. I LIKE Shenmue 2 but LOVE Shenmue. Shenmue I just love the home town feel and the detail and insight on Japanese culture and Shenmue sparked my love for that culture even further plus it's on my fave console. Now when I say it's my 2nd fave game I must say it's only a micro hair behind Ys.

Shenmue-Hometown feel of a town in Japan and good taste of the culture.

Ys-Everything I want in a game from the best era of gaming. That feeling you had as a kid picking up a Genesis/SNES controller and playing your fave adventure and dreaming big.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Is Shenmue your favourite game of all time?

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Shenmue is my favorite game of all time. I don't think there will be another game to take it's place. I like the forest chapter so much that I have completed it more than a hundred times. I played it 3 times so far in the past 4 days and I might play it later tonight.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby wude » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:56 pm

Ryudo wrote:I just love the home town feel and the detail and insight on Japanese culture

same thing for me, that magical feeling like i said before( people working, hanging out shopping..) plus the atmosphere with rain,snow and sunset. that what makes shenmue one of my fav games for all times, i don't care about the story and gameplay too much.
and i'm still searching for games that can provide me the same experience.(maybe yakuza or open world naruto :roll: )

there are also a lot of games i used to like which i don't care about anymore like zelda, FF, Tomb Raider, BioHazard..
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:04 pm

I like the story the most and talking to Shenhua. I want Shenmue 3 to be like the forest chapter. Where you spend like 2 days walking to reach a village.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Used to be a game I would include in my top 10 but not anymore. Played the series for a second time about two years ago and quite a few things make me think less of it.

Other then the arcade I find nothing in the game fun to kill time. The people have nothing intresting to say and buying capsule toys get's boring. The story also isn't that great.

The best part has to be the forest like already said. I just hope the next game doesn't force me to kill 4 hours in game time.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Nope. It's not even in my top 20 to be honest.

It was a nice little game I played for the little things like the arcades and the forklift races. Often I liked exploring the city and see the weather change while listening to the wonderful soundtrack. But I think the story is pretty garbage. They improved it in the second game but last time I tried playing that, I got so bored I switched it off.

I had MGS on my top list for a long time only because of the story. I can play games like Tetris and be entertained like an idiot for hours. But a game with an incredible story? That's one in a million.

Plus as limited as it is by comparison, I prefer Omikron over Shenmue. Better atmosphere, better story, better VA (ironic considering its only got progressively worse as its creator ventured on more cinematic endevors with the media), better characters...would say better music but I think Shenmue's soundtrack is right on par. The edge Shenmue has is its variety in things to do and has more hidden little places. The hidden places in Omikron are neat but not particularly awe inducing aside from the fight tournament and Bowie concerts.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Myles » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:15 am

I always felt like if I played Shenmue now, I wouldnt like it AS much. It's just the type of game that I was craving back then, but didnt know it. I dont play games nearly as much anymore, or get 'into' them as much either, more casually play nowandays. But yes, Shenmue is my all time favourite game. It's the one that sticks in my mind... almost like an emotional attachment.

If Shenmue III came out on a different system, I would buy that system to buy the game. That's how much I want it.
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yamagashi-San » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 pm

It will always be my favourite game of all time. It holds a lot of significance to me and it is like no other game I have played.
Yamagashi-San
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: UpstairsMuffin

Postby Myles » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I still remember when I was first playing through the first one, my Dad was real interested in it (he hates video games) and I let him explore around. All he would do is keep trying to talk to people, until they got annoyed and walked away :lol:
Myles
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Yamagashi-San wrote:It will always be my favourite game of all time. It holds a lot of significance to me and it is like no other game I have played.

I second that. No game has ever inspired me like Shenmue does.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Rakim » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:59 pm

I prefer the 2nd game, but Shenmue is definitely one of them. My "favorite" would probably be MGS 3.

I'm surprised that some of you don't care for the story. That's one of the things I like most about Shenmue.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I find the story very cliche been there done that a thousand times in ever kung fu film.
It was all about atmosphere and music for me.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 am

No. Shenmue II is.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Next

Return to Shenmue