Shenmue in CryEngine

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue in CryEngine

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Yeah that's not bad. I like seeing the original image as it helps to put the close-up texture into context.

Should the textures be as seamless as possible on all four sides? Do you have a quick method of doing that? That's something I'll pay attention to on the next attempt.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Takumi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Looks good. Is there going to be a topic to track this? I can setup a github acccount and bugtracker / wiki.
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: xilezor
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue I PAL

Postby Takumi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Mitsuzuki wrote: Yeah that's not bad. I like seeing the original image as it helps to put the close-up texture into context.

Should the textures be as seamless as possible on all four sides? Do you have a quick method of doing that? That's something I'll pay attention to on the next attempt.

You can do it pretty easily on a single axis in PS using Offset.
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Mitsuzuki wrote:Yeah that's not bad. I like seeing the original image as it helps to put the close-up texture into context.

yeah it needs to be perfectly seamless or I can't stack them, I have a quick way of making them seamless but if you look in the second pic you'll notice by doing so shadows got put in weird places, the best way to prevent this is having the texture as clean as possible (no darker or higher lighting in certain areas)
Takumi wrote:Looks good. Is there going to be a topic to track this? I can setup a github acccount and bugtracker / wiki.

yeah mittz will make one when he gets back to the dojo, we'll decide about everything there I gues, until then we're highjacking this one :lol:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Takumi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Sounds good. :P

Any preference for a tracker? We could user Google Poject, or an open source bundle like Trac. Assembla has pay-for services, but it's very robust with bug tracking, a team wiki, collaboration tools and git support.

I'd have no issues with shelling out some $ for proper support if everyone is on board.
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I have something in mind.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Takumi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I have something in mind.

What's this referring to?
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Guys, what is it you are actually developing? Is it a playable game? Is it a remake, or new development of the Chapter 2 boat scene? Just i will move the relevant posts to the modding section with its own title and links if it gets off the ground.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Don't worry, I'm makin a topic for it tomorrow.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Well ive been dying to know but no-one seems to know what engines and softwares ect ect where used in the first two games, A certain they know who they are :P asked me to make a lucky hit flash game for teamyu.net, now we all know flash is terrible for realtime physics so ive got a real challenge ahead of me if im gonna live up to shenmue 2. ive looked at tonnes of realtime and none of it no matter who or what can live up to shenmue 2's lucky hit. seems odd but Ive ran massive realtime physics from passing spacecraft to golf balls on my pc and nothing can beat lucky hits realtime physics. even sega's current games which graphically and physically outperform anything today (Dont believe my try running anything they've made recently on your PC :P). anyways, what im trying to say is nothing will outperform shenmue 1 and 2 unless their made with the same effort and love and imperfection tat they were over 12 years ago., no matter what they do even if they are better they wont be, and thats why I want to know more on their making. (And Manchester city rules :P)

mrslig100 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Takumi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 pm

mrslig100 wrote: Well ive been dying to know but no-one seems to know what engines and softwares ect ect where used in the first two games, A certain they know who they are :P asked me to make a lucky hit flash game for teamyu.net, now we all know flash is terrible for realtime physics so ive got a real challenge ahead of me if im gonna live up to shenmue 2. ive looked at tonnes of realtime and none of it no matter who or what can live up to shenmue 2's lucky hit. seems odd but Ive ran massive realtime physics from passing spacecraft to golf balls on my pc and nothing can beat lucky hits realtime physics. even sega's current games which graphically and physically outperform anything today (Dont believe my try running anything they've made recently on your PC :P). anyways, what im trying to say is nothing will outperform shenmue 1 and 2 unless their made with the same effort and love and imperfection tat they were over 12 years ago., no matter what they do even if they are better they wont be, and thats why I want to know more on their making. (And Manchester city rules :P)

I'm sure using a combination of Starling, Away3D and Box2D (or Jig Lib which is more 3D-centric) you could come up with something remarkably similar. Box2D can also be offloaded to a worker thread using native extensions, exponentially increasing the performance. Starling uses Stage3D and is GPU accelerated using GLES 2.0 native bindings.

There have been complex physics demos shown that have 100s of textured objects, never dipping below 60FPS. You should be ok. :)
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Cheers, ill look into it.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:47 pm

unity can export in Flash and can easily reproduce the physics of lucky hit, in fact some people have already made a lucky hit game for iphone and android using unity
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Takumi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:57 pm

south carmain wrote: unity can export in Flash and can easily reproduce the physics of lucky hit...

Watch out when using Unity to export to flash. Performance is lackluster and there's a ton of bugs. Check the latest change log before you start down that road.
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Takumi wrote:
south carmain wrote: unity can export in Flash and can easily reproduce the physics of lucky hit...

Watch out when using Unity to export to flash. Performance is lackluster and there's a ton of bugs. Check the latest change log before you start down that road.

maybe, I have no interest in flash at all so can't say the quality of it at all, all I know is that a lot of people have been using it for making flash based apps recently
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue