Just ordered this game. Will be my 1.5 try at playing.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Just ordered this game. Will be my 1.5 try at playing.

Postby GKDAIR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

What is 1.5 you mean?

Allow me to explain. 2 years ago, I got a Dreamcast for my birthday. I got 4 games with it, Sonic Adventure, Unreal Tournament, Ready to Rumble Boxing 2, and Shenmue. I had heard a lot from Gamefaqs about how Shenmue was a must own, and I knew when I saw it in store I had to have it.

I went into the game blind, and made it to..you guessed it, the infamous "Sailors" part, before I got distracted with other projects. I liked the game, but I knew a game like this I would have to devote my time and concentrate on it, I couldn't play it without immersing myself fully in the world.

Well, months went by and I barely touched this Dreamcast. A friend was looking for some retro game consoles, so I gave her my dreamcast with my 4 games.

I regretted that decision soon after, and months went by. Eventually, last summer I managed to buy another Dreamcast. I've slowly been building up a collection for it, and as of a few days ago. Shenmue is currently on it's way to my doorstep, for me to finally play it through to the end.

I know a lot of you wish you could experience the game all over again for the first time, and I have to confess I am truly blessed to experience a game like this totally blind to the experience.

One final note. I've been browsing around various Dreamcast and Shenmue forums, and it's amazing how even Veteran players find something new in the game, even after playing it 10-20 times over. I guess it goes to show how crazy deep this game is.

GKDAIR has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yokosuka Martian
GKDAIR
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ZombiU, Shemue

Re: Just ordered this game. Will be my 1.5 try at playing.

Postby SeppukoPanda » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:04 pm

The game is a wonderful experience, I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Each play through is like a snow flake, no two are ever alike for anyone.

I've played it through at least 20 times, and it's always different. I always discover new things.

While amazing, I wish sometimes I could forget how to play it. Knowing what to do makes it difficult to explore and try to find alternate ways to do things.

I envy you here.

PS, make sure you get the Dreamcast version of Shenmue II. Not the XBox version. The ability to transfer your save over is a MUST.
SeppukoPanda
Master of the Three Blades

Postby GKDAIR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:39 pm

I have something else I want to discuss, but maybe here is not the place.

Would a Composite to HDMI converter help Shenmue look better? Would it clean up the image a bit and give some more color? I understand it won't be true HD, I'm just looking to maybe clean it up a bit.
GKDAIR

Postby SeppukoPanda » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:11 am

No, get a VGA box.

This guy knows a bit about this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATL-7BzEygI[/youtube]
SeppukoPanda

Postby GKDAIR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 am

I love Adams videos and I've seen that one.

Unfortunatly, my budget as of now is a little tight, I can't really afford the setup Adamn recommends, I happened to notice my TV has an S-video slot, so I ordered an S video cable to help clean up the image. I will be using that method however, when I get a little more cash.
GKDAIR

Postby SeppukoPanda » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 am

Oh cool.

Yeah, S-Video is definitely better than composite.
SeppukoPanda

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:08 am

GKDAIR wrote:A friend was looking for some retro game consoles, so I...

...looked him dead in the eye and told that leeching son-of-a-gun, "Hands off my hardware, brother!" Right?

GKDAIR wrote:...gave her my dreamcast with my 4 games.

I see.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Nankeiro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Good! Glad you have had an amazing experience with it. These games are unique. Wonderful. And yes, they're meant to be played more than once!
Nankeiro

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:41 pm

SeppukoPanda wrote: No, get a VGA box.

This guy knows a bit about this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATL-7BzEygI[/youtube]

I am buying one of these.
If anyone is interested, the modder charges around 260 for each unit that is exactly like the one in that video.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:34 am

If there is only one drawback to Shenmue I and II, it's that they demand your time and effort. These are not games you drop in and play for 10 minutes at at time. You have to be fully invested. But when you are, oh man, that's when the magic happens.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby GKDAIR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:56 am

Yeah that's true. I usually play for a full day in game. The days go by pretty slowly, and it allows me to get a lot done.

I just got past the infamous sailors quest, and am now looking for Charlie.

I honestly didn't remember a thing about the game when I played it today, weirdly enough, I only remembered where the Bar with the sailors was.

I found out early on that I SUCKED at the QTEs. I totally forget they used directional imputs too, and I failed the fight against the guy with the plant in his mouth. I restarted because I so ashamed, and I played at the arcade on the QTE minigame.
GKDAIR

Postby mrslig100 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:31 pm

If there is only one drawback to Shenmue I and II, it's that they demand your time and effort. These are not games you drop in and play for 10 minutes at at time. You have to be fully invested. But when you are, oh man, that's when the magic happens.

Shenmue truly is a fantastic game, I would not consider this a drawback but the exact opposite.
Games now lack depth, well in many games you can see loads of it but it isn't emmersive,
Its truley one of the greatest games in history, Truley one of a kind (Well it certainly is development wise). Wonderfully analogue and may even be better than jade cocoon! =D>
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Feelers Rebo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:56 pm

you say that, but we all know it's actually a bit shit. all the people are square and appear out of nowhere.
Feelers Rebo

Postby GKDAIR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Dammit.

I was playing today, found out where the tattoo parlor was, played some games, got some collectables, met Charlie, and wanted to play some Space Harrier.

Froze. I went to play and the screen just stayed black. Gah! That's like 30 minutes of gameplay just gone.
GKDAIR

Postby _TEWI_ » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 pm

My disc of Shenmue wouldn't even start up unless I kept the console upside down. I bought 2 copies of Shenmue so after the second one wouldn't work I did some digging and found out I wasn't the only one. They suggested playing with the console upside down.

As odd as that sounds it strangely works and this might prevent future freezing and whatnot when playing Shenmue. :)
_TEWI_

Next

Return to Shenmue