Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby celsowm » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:14 pm

So, Is this "Ryo" a homage to Ryo Hazuki in VF5 FS Special Sparring Mode?

https://youtu.be/bjhx0FWliXA?t=282
(start in 4:42)

celsowm has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:25 pm

I explained this last night during the stream, but at the time, I wasn't totally sure of myself.

The "MJQ" in MJQ Jazz Bar stands for Modern Jazz Quartet, which was a very popular band in the 50's. Therefore, the full name would be "Modern Jazz Quartet Jazz Bar," which is obviously quite redundant.

Mr357 has received 4 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, Switch, Yokosuka
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Mr357 wrote:which is obviously quite redundant.

Not necessarily. The Modern Jazz Quartet might also happen to be fans of disco, and own a second bar in the next town called MJQ Disco Bar. :)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:32 am

What's funny is as soon as Ryo steps into the bar, there's automatically four people in there: Ryo, the bartender, and the two base workers playing pool. A true quartet!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:26 am

Wow this is a great find! Would've never guessed that MJQ is based on something, let alone something real.
Pretty bold of them to use this name. I figure they could've gotten trouble for this easily.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Gen

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:07 am

Don't know how many of you saw this, but BlueMue made an excellent video showing an oft-missed 'event' in the game:

phpBB [video]

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Himuro
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:26 am

I've finally done what it took to remedy one of my biggest mistake Shenmue wise... let my Dreamcast go, games included.

I'm now the proud "dad" (again) of an adopted family of three:
Dreamcast, Shenmue & Shenmue II. :king:

Ah Good. :heart:

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby celsowm » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 pm

celsowm has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Mr357
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Kiske » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 am

"Il semblerait qu'il y ait un peu d'activité du côté de la licence Shenmue."

Licence in this context should mean franchise, but I'm not 100% sure.

A new stone added to Shenmue 1 & 2 HD remastered rumors?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:41 am

Kiske wrote:

"Il semblerait qu'il y ait un peu d'activité du côté de la licence Shenmue."

Licence in this context should mean franchise, but I'm not 100% sure.

A new stone added to Shenmue 1 & 2 HD remastered rumors?

Please, please, please, I wouldn't care if we did't hear/see anything about Shenmue 3 for a year from now, I just want this remaster to be a dead cert and for it to be a great/faithful one with the basics (hopefully widescreen and dual language support) so we can leave our emulators behind for good (I personally don't use them because i couldn't get it to work was well as the DC when I last tried a couple of years ago) I just play on the DC/OG Xbox on occasion but I'm really hoping this comes to fruition. It's great we're getting shenmue 3 I am in peace and joy knowing it will one day come no matter how long it takes, but every time we hear another 1&2HD rumour it fills my body with such adrenaline because of it's uncertainty as well as the desire for it to be available of modern platforms (and doing away with hardware that will become obsolete) and be easily accessible for both as and new gamers at the benefit of sega and ys.net with shenmue 3. I don't want to get any hopes up but I'm helpless here. Come E3 time and I'm going to be nervous for sure.

If it's announced before E3, to me it speaks likely of it coming to the Xbone, but if we hear about it at Sony's e3 conference it may be PS4/PC only (as with double fine's lucasarts remasters) or as with ultimate marvel vs. capcom 3 come out on PS4 and then PC/Xbone 3 months later. Hopefully it's the latter but ideally everyone gets it... but at the very least it should be one of them.

And again, I don't really lean towards physical/digital, I just get whatever's cost effective but looking at the kickstarter stats SEGA should know that this group of gamers are willing to spend more to get more, so I think putting it out as an anniversary edition, maybe with a collector's/limited edition and merch etc would be in their business interest to do. Also as with marketing it they should really push the fan angle of it and show Huber's e3 hype etc and maybe some online videos some behind the scenes stuff etc. Intridged to find out which dev is porting it if this does indeed (hopefully) happen...

Also, inb4 somebody tells a "My sources at X tell me Y may sorta/kinda happen but I can't disclose nor confirm anything else" joke xD
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Kiske » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 am

Congrats Jibby!

Romain Mahut, (the journalist and Shenmue fan working for Gameblog.fr) made a blog article (April 3rd) featuring your "Tomato Convenience Store" Commercial.

http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/romain/p_1 ... tomato-kon

This is the same journalist who made the tweet (April 2nd) posted by celsowm:
https://twitter.com/RomainMahut/status/ ... 2542340096

The blog article conclusion is kind of interesting:
En tout cas, et sans surprise aucune, cette vidéo m'a donné envie de rejouer à Shenmue ! Faudrait vraiment qu'ils nous sortent les remasterisations HD ! On a assez attendu !

Anyway and it's no surprise, this video made me want to play Shenmue again! They really should release those HD remasters! We have waited long enough!

Of course, it's pure speculation from me to see some encouraging hint in the article conclusion...

Kiske has received a thanks from: Jibby
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Very cool Kiske, and congrats @Jibby great work!

I've been thinking about how SEGA handed over all their data/assets/files etc from Shenmue I/II to YS.net for use but I've been thinking, does anyone know if the source code for those games are still around? The reason i ask is that I know SEGA were notorious for losing the source code for a lot of games during the 2D megadrive/arcade boom era as they've had to move offices/buildings many times over the years and they just chucked them out. I'm wondering if that is the case for shenmue and just generally, how easy of a game it would be to port etc.

If they were to hypothetically go the emulation route, would it make certain things harder to tinker with (models/textures/assets/gameplay additions such as walking seen in modern games, performance etc) without having direct access to the source code? I've been playing Fahrenheit:Indigo Prophecy HD recently (first time I've played the HD version) for some reason I really wasn't expecting that much from it but I'm glad they somewhat managed to

The only thing I can find really that makes me confident that a port would be painless to do and adapt the game with is how great Shenmue 2x runs on the Xbox OG which has a more pc-like architecture(+the benefits like DoF are there despite them probably going a bit OTT with some of the filters/effects xD). But yeah, there's so much that I find to be fascinating with these games and their engine just because so much of it seems to be a mystery still.

(on a side note, it's a shame the saturn version is lost to time... :-( )
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:08 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:(on a side note, it's a shame the saturn version is lost to time... :-( )

I think if someone turned Ryan Payton loose in Sega's offices for 20 minutes he'd find it.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Pix'n'love managed to get the authorization from Sega to make a wonderful official Dreamcast book. Only available in French. And damnly expensive (80 euros for the Shenmue or Sonic special edition).

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter, Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue