Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:18 am

ShenGCH wrote:
south carmain wrote: Watching the project berkley video I noticed that they originally made kowloon walled city much more authentic to the real thing. Has Suzuki ever explained why they made such a drastic design change? If not it would be an interesting question to ask him next time someone is given the chance.

As stated by Spaghetti, it's likely they altered it to be more open so it played fluidly. Can you imagine the amount of congestion, troublesome navigation, and restrictive movement in those narrow streets, especially with Shenmue II's pedestrian A.I.? They did a great job of retaining the enclosed feeling of the city, almost like it's one of those huge outdoor prisons run by the prisoners themselves.

Choubu might be the authentic Kowloon that Yu could not reproduce on Dreamcast. I think physical interactions with NPCs and global animation will be the most eye-catching element of Shenmue III when we see the game for the first time.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:25 am

Friend in Taiwan sent me this:

Amir has received 5 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, ShenGCH, Yokosuka, yuc02
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby yuc02 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:31 am

Amir wrote: Friend in Taiwan sent me this:

Yeah quite often lifts in China don't open on all the floors to save on costs. My grandparents place only has a lift that stops on floors 1, 6 and 9

yuc02 has received 3 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter, ShenGCH
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 am

yuc02 wrote:
Amir wrote: Friend in Taiwan sent me this:

Yeah quite often lifts in China don't open on all the floors to save on costs. My grandparents place only has a lift that stops on floors 1, 6 and 9

Wait, this actually happens in the real world?! :shock:

And there I was thinking Yu Suzuki was trying to represent the decaying nature of Kowloon with the fucked up elevators the whole time. Shenmue II doesn't have remotely as much attention to detail as the first game, but this is pretty damn cool.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:30 am

The developer is a genius to tell himself "hey that would be a good labyrinth for a game" lol.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:02 am

Why do people seem to think Yakuza is better than Shenmue? I saw someone say "Yakuza is Shenmue but with all the horrible crap taken out and is far more better for it." Like even some Shenmue fans think this, so tried Yakuza 1 to see what the fuss was about, it was boring, no voice acting I remember and the fighting was arcady as hell no where near as deep as Shenmue. I couldn't even finish it! Not because Yakuza isn't good on in it's own right but but because I was promised Shenmue lite but I got Sleeping Dogs without cars and action.

DoubleO_Ren has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:30 am

The last Yakuzas have overtaken Shenmue in terms of content with tons of minigames and arcade. For the first time, the Yakuza 6 trailers reminded me what I felt for Shenmue I at the time (deep content interactivity, immersive city vibe). I view Yakuza as a freed baby-Shenmue with crazy characters and waves of brawls, completely focused on immediate fun rather the narration. You don't have to begin this franchise with Yakuza 1. Each episode is relatively independent and the upcoming Yakuza 0 is really promising.

But if you want really a Shenmue-like, play Shadow of Memories (aka Shadow of Destiny) instead.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Does someone know an equivalent of SensCritique on the web? It's a famous French site where the community can rate any cultural stuff such movies, games, books or music. I had the surprise to see Shenmue II at the fourth place of best games of all time:

http://www.senscritique.com/jeuxvideo/tops/top111

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Yakuza isn't Shenmue and Shenmue isn't Yakuza. The areas of overlap are obvious, but anybody playing one and expecting the other is going to be disappointed in some way. There's a high chance of crossover appeal but it's not guaranteed, because it depends on whether the differences happen to suit your range of tastes, which can vary from one Shenmue fan to another, and one Yakuza fan to another.

But I would recommend all fans of either series to at least give the other a try, to see if their tastes can extend far enough in that direction, and specifically for Shenmue fans I would second the Shadow of Destiny/Memories recommendation in the same spirit.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Mr357 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:17 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Does someone know an equivalent of SensCritique on the web? It's a famous French site where the community can rate any cultural stuff such movies, games, books or music. I had the surprise to see Shenmue II at the fourth place of best games of all time:

Metacritic is the closest thing I can think of.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:21 pm

On a less formal and ubiquitous scale there's also Favslist.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Does someone know an equivalent of SensCritique on the web? It's a famous French site where the community can rate any cultural stuff such movies, games, books or music. I had the surprise to see Shenmue II at the fourth place of best games of all time:

You can say a lot of bad things about the French but a bad taste in video games is'nt one of them.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueMue » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:30 pm

What's funnier than a stupidly scared Fuku-san? The whole thing with his even dumber sounding Japanese voice!

phpBB [video]
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 pm

I don't see how Fuku's Japanese voice is dumber than the English one?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:45 pm

He has a low voice that sounds a bit forced. It just reminds me of typical voices for dumb characters like Big the cat or Grounder. It's not that I find Fuku-san's Japanese voice annoying or anything. I think it fits him even better.
I mean come on. We all know that he isn't exactly the smartest guy.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue