Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:30 pm

johnvivant wrote: i was just playing lucky hit in shenmue 2 - the one with the move scroll prize on dragon street - and my marble actually got stuck between some of the nails!

the owner says something like ' oh dear, this board is very old, that one doesn't count' and it gives you another go.

i must have played thousands of games of lucky hit and this has never happened to me before.

Whoa, I never heard of this before, didn't know it was possible :shock:

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bambi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:00 pm

Thief wrote:
phpBB [video]

Gorgeous.

Chaikilla wrote: That compilation above is beautiful ;( watching it reminds me of why I love the series. The beauty of Shenmue is that it makes you appreciate the most obscure things in the game, from the rare pieces of dialogue with npcs to the crunchy sound Ryo's footprints make as he walks through the snow.

That really is amazing. e_e

Couldn't agree more.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:15 pm

itapck wrote: December 2017 or later... This is gonna be a long wait.

It's very short compared to the last one though.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Bambi, Taren Fox
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Amir » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:41 pm

Started work on Disc Three, got 2nd place in race on first day (also managed to clear all crates but no bonus for doing so :/ ), second day I kept restarting until I won first place, heart was pounding, was neck and neck. Now in the unlikely event I get first place again, do I just get another Forklift No. 1? If so, I'll just take it easy and go for 3rd, 4th and 5th.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:37 am

Amir wrote: Started work on Disc Three, got 2nd place in race on first day (also managed to clear all crates but no bonus for doing so :/ ), second day I kept restarting until I won first place, heart was pounding, was neck and neck. Now in the unlikely event I get first place again, do I just get another Forklift No. 1? If so, I'll just take it easy and go for 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Yeah, you'll get the Forklift toy corresponding to your finishing position each time.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:45 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Amir wrote: Started work on Disc Three, got 2nd place in race on first day (also managed to clear all crates but no bonus for doing so :/ ), second day I kept restarting until I won first place, heart was pounding, was neck and neck. Now in the unlikely event I get first place again, do I just get another Forklift No. 1? If so, I'll just take it easy and go for 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Yeah, you'll get the Forklift toy corresponding to your finishing position each time.

I came 3rd in on 3rd day but on 4th day I couldn't bring myself to suck so I got 1st again :P

I'm not sure I ever even got 2nd when I played it 14 years ago. On the last race I had help from a tip online which said to raise the forklift so it doesn't catch on things (that goddamn pipe on that turn), but mostly I found switching to first-person and using the d-pad helped most (can't turn as sharply with the analogue stick I find).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:27 am

Amir wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

I came 3rd in on 3rd day but on 4th day I couldn't bring myself to suck so I got 1st again :P

I'm not sure I ever even got 2nd when I played it 14 years ago. On the last race I had help from a tip online which said to raise the forklift so it doesn't catch on things (that goddamn pipe on that turn), but mostly I found switching to first-person and using the d-pad helped most (can't turn as sharply with the analogue stick I find).

Urgh, that damn pipe/vent behind the Harbour Lounge #-o

I think I've managed to get every single toy Forklift minus 3rd or 4th place - can't remember which - but never all in the same playthrough. I must try that one day :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:56 am

why is it on shenmue, pissing about in the forklifts, and do some bullshit turns and NOT flip it?!
seen military land rovers barrel roll for much less.
i want a serious work related injury in shenmue...:mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby csmakio » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 am

@Amir

jesus thats one of the best .gif's i've ever seen =D>
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio

Postby Amir » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:21 pm

csmakio wrote: @Amir

jesus thats one of the best .gif's i've ever seen =D>

I can't take credit for it, it was either on reddit or NeoGAF the day the Kickstarter was announced, can't remember which.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:48 am

How come you get $$$ from Fuku San at the end of Shenmue 1? What was the point cos you just lose all your money at the beginning of Shenmue 2!

Also why didn't Ine San put up a better fight against the home invaders? Little freeloader let Lan Di waltz in without even a fight and she went down like a punk.

Also why doesn't Ryo get fired if he refuses to move even a single crate on the forklift?

Also why don't we ever see Tom sell a hot dog?!

Also what would Lan Di do if, as a practical joke, the black suits cut off his ponytail and started playing keep-away with it?

Also does Master Chen wear a bra for his double D's?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:58 am

SMDzero wrote: How come you get $$$ from Fuku San at the end of Shenmue 1? What was the point cos you just lose all your money at the beginning of Shenmue 2!

Also why didn't Ine San put up a better fight against the home invaders? Little freeloader let Lan Di waltz in without even a fight and she went down like a punk.

Also why doesn't Ryo get fired if he refuses to move even a single crate on the forklift?

Also why don't we ever see Tom sell a hot dog?!

Also what would Lan Di do if, as a practical joke, the black suits cut off his ponytail and started playing keep-away with it?

Also does Master Chen wear a bra for his double D's?

1. A parting gift, perhaps? Fuku-san didn't know Ryo was going to get his bag snatched, otherwise he'd have put knuckledusters in the envelope instead of money

2. Lan Di disarmed her with such force, her weapon ended up in Hong Kong - and thus, a legend was born: Gun in Shenmue II

3. Ryo secretly snuck some chloroform into the ever-brewing kettle you see in the Alpha Trading Office, creating a Vapour of Forgetfulness (this move has been confirmed as an Arcane Technique for Shenmue III, by the way), affecting anyone in the room at the time

4. The Illuminati

5. Mo-cap that advanced didn't exist back then, hence why they vetoed it. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw this in Shenmue III with today's technology, however!

6. Those aren't double-D's - that's where Lan Di was hiding before setting off for Hong Kong. Master Chen is so hopped up on the chloroform vapour from #3, he doesn't even feel the ponytail nestling in his belly button

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:13 am

Well now that the hype has died down, it's time to return to my resting state of not caring/thinking about Shenmue. I suppose interest can return in two years -- that'll be ok I guess.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 am

ShenGCH wrote:
SMDzero wrote:

6. Those aren't double-D's - that's where Lan Di was hiding before setting off for Hong Kong. Master Chen is so hopped up on the chloroform vapour from #3, he doesn't even feel the ponytail nestling in his belly button

DUDE! No way Lan Di would hide in there! Give him his dignity for god sake!

Here on the other hand... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:15 am

SMDzero wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
SMDzero wrote:

DUDE! No way Lan Di would hide in there! Give him his dignity for god sake!

Here on the other hand... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wait 'til you find out who Niao Sun really is... Boobs... Wears red... Chinese... Hides in the shadows... She's even throwing a damn gang sign!

:devillaugh:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue