Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby amiga1200 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Dragon St. wrote:Here's a nice video review of someone who just finished Shenmue for the first time.

phpBB [video]
^^ :shock: two bat$? a 2fer?
that fuckin nice right there, and that you played it enough to do a review.
best two dabloons spent, ever! 8) :king:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Dragon St. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:06 am

It's not my review ;-) I just like to watch all these videos. It shows the magic of Shenmue is still there, 15 years later, for first timers.
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby amiga1200 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 am

^^ fair enough, my mistake! :roll:
and it does still have the magick after all this time. :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Dragon St. wrote: It's not my review ;-) I just like to watch all these videos. It shows the magic of Shenmue is still there, 15 years later, for first timers.

If you have other reviews or playthrough from people who have never played Shenmue before, especially the complete series, do not hesitate. :)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 am

Amir wrote: 22nd January.

Have almost maxed out Iron Palm and Stab Armour. Won QTE Title and Excite QTE 2 toys. Still can't get to 2nd checkpoint in Outrun.

What to train up next? Tornado Kick? Twin Swallow Leap?

Have now added Mini Darts and Outrun toys. The Outrun one was surprisingly easy to get, didn't even make it to third checkpoint I think. Mini Space Harrier one looks impossible, though, never even got to 300,000 let alone 1 million points. Finally got Silver and Gold Dural, completing VF1 toy set, as well as the full set of ABXY Excite QTE buttons (the X button was eluding me for ages). Have 8 Kids Gold D and Space Harrier figures. Almost very nearly maxed out Stab Armour, is there any notification or anything when you completely max out a move? Where are the VIrtual On toys? I got a few in those $25 boxes.

How on earth do you play Neo Darts?! I've never got more than 40 points total.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby johnvivant » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:32 am

Amir wrote: Almost very nearly maxed out Stab Armour, is there any notification or anything when you completely max out a move? Where are the VIrtual On toys? I got a few in those $25 boxes.

there is no on screen notification but when you look through your move list the text colour of the move is different (i think)

virtua on machines
- there is one hidden away down the side of a building in wise man quarter - go to where all the pawn shops are located in wise man quarter - there are some stairs and a ramp next to each other. at the bottom of the ramp/stairs go around it to an alley which goes around the side of the building. the machine is at the end.

-there is a also one on the 1st floor of thousand white building (kowloon) - near the knife shops and kung fu move shops - by the stairs.
- there is also one hidden away in the 'Electronics Emporium' in the lucky charm quarter. the shop is to the left as you go down the stairs from wise mens quarter.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Amir
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:46 am

Do the photos in Shenmue I and II change based on the weather? On my recent playthrough of Shenmue I the photo of Ryo and Nozomi had snow in the background since it was snowing that day, I don't remember there being snow in the photo on previous playthroughs.

EDIT: Seems like it: http://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Ryo_and_Nozomi_Photo
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 am

I asked myself the same question in my actual playthrough. It was dryness during the entire time I had to aerate the books and the weather immediately came to rain when Xiuying fired me from the temple.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:02 am

Yet another instance of Shenmue's brilliance there with the photos. They could've gotten away by always having this cutscene in standard weather so there would be only one photo. On one of my playthroughs the game actually changed the weather just for this cutscene!

It slowly started to snow when the cutscene came on and by the time the photo was taken the snow disappeard just as smoothly as it came. One of the most amazing things I ever witnessed the Magic Weather do.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:09 am

Yokosuka wrote:actual playthrough.

actual = / = actuel, c'est un faux-ami ;)

"Current playthrough" :)

Amir has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:16 am

Amir wrote:

:lol: thanks
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:21 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Amir wrote:

:lol: thanks

Weird coincidence, was just googling faux-amis the other day, need to brush up on my French, bit rusty :P

Spent 6 months near Bordeaux as an English Assistant back in 2008-9, I remember randomly bringing up Shenmue to some guy I barely knew and he started raving about it, too. Dunno where he is now, hope he pledged for the Kickstarter :P

Amir has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 pm

Dragon St. wrote: Here's a nice video review of someone who just finished Shenmue for the first time.

phpBB [video]

I just read a written review, also from someone who just played Shenmue for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. The writer's English is not quite perfect, but he (or she) conveys some really amazing points which reminded me of why I love the game. It's really awesome that people are discovering Shenmue for the first time and still "getting it" - Shenmue stands the test of time.

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Nikosc ... 7031.phtml

I'm posting a snippet but please read it all at the link above.

As a matter a fact i didnt get gripped by the game,because the action oriented intro , but by some more irrelevant element in the game - the very first ''quest''. I was just start exploring the game world and asking the in game characters about a black car , when i was stopped by a old woman with a simple question : Where is mister Yamamoto's house. I was just shocked by this simple task.These days gamers has grown accustomed to complex and more deeps tasks. I was just currious what reward i will be given if Ryo find this house.After walking around a bit and check nameplates i found the house and told the lady.And the most shocking moment had come - the lady just say these days youngesters wasn't polite like Ryo and give her goodbyes. It was a different experience which give me the realization that somethings in life must not be awarded by material things , but with emotional pleasure

Lan Di-sama has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Amir » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:01 am

Got 320 in Neo Darts in Shenmue II but no toy :( Just looked at a walkthrough and it says even for max score of 500 you don't get a toy in Shenmue II, oh well...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rome » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:18 am

Amir wrote: Got 320 in Neo Darts in Shenmue II but no toy :( Just looked at a walkthrough and it says even for max score of 500 you don't get a toy in Shenmue II, oh well...

Just got to the harbor on my current playthrough and was killing time in the harbor lounge and decided to play a game of neo darts. This got me wondering if in fact you could win a toy once you hit a certain score, as I have never really looked into it much.

Pretty sure this is a first for me:
phpBB [video]

Trying to remember if I've seen this before, as i've always went through the window around back.

rome has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Bambi
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue