Yellow Head Building sounds racist apparently
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:23 am

Shibiryo wrote: Yellow Head Building sounds racist apparently

I always thought it sounded like a type of pimple, personally...
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:36 am

ShenGCH wrote:

I always thaught such referred to an animal, probally a specific dragon or specific bird that's seen as sacred.

I can assure you, oriental people don't refer to them selves as Yellow, that's a distinctly western made up term. Considering that the game was made by Japanese, and Kowloon was never occupied by the English, in no way, shape or form, should that supposedly being racist, be a consideration at all.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Calshot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

I always thaught such referred to an animal, probally a specific dragon or specific bird that's seen as sacred.

I can assure you, oriental people don't refer to them selves as Yellow, that's a distinctly western made up term. Considering that the game was made by Japanese, and Kowloon was never occupied by the English, in no way, shape or form, should that supposedly being racist, be a consideration at all.

Oriental people don't refer to themselves as oriental people either.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Calshot wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Oriental people don't refer to themselves as oriental people either.

they refer to them selves as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, ect, but I'm not going to list every damn country in the orient to make the same statement, in order to cover "everyone", so stop being a ass lol.

One is a racist designation, while the other refers to a region that various people originated from, big difference.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:50 am

Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Considering the game was made by a Japanese team, I sincerely doubt there are any racist implications in its name either. Connotations perhaps, but not remotely intentional.

An old history teacher of mine used to refer to oriental people as 'yellow', which always sounded really sketchy and quite offensive. Then again, I have absolutely no problem with referring to myself as white, nor black people as black, but using the word 'yellow' to describe the skin colour of an entire race just doesn't sit easy with me. It sounds too direct and comical to be taken seriously and with any sincerity. I dunno - semantics and history, I guess?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:57 am

Zoltor wrote:and Kowloon was never occupied by the English

yes it was. Pic related is all the territory that was under British control until 1997.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Calshot » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Zoltor wrote:
they refer to them selves as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, ect, but I'm not going to list every damn country in the orient to make the same statement, in order to cover "everyone", so stop being a ass lol.

One is a racist designation, while the other refers to a region that various people originated from, big difference.

It's actually considered offensive, or at least antiquated, here in the US.

Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:48 pm

Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Orientalism sounds like a fetish to be quite honest.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 pm

damn, technology is sure a beuty, playing shenmue 1 on the bus today on my nvidia shield using reicast, what a day were living in.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:18 pm

GYO6161 wrote: damn, technology is sure a beuty, playing shenmue 1 on the bus today on my nvidia shield using reicast, what a day were living in.

How did it run, dude?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:42 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: damn, technology is sure a beuty, playing shenmue 1 on the bus today on my nvidia shield using reicast, what a day were living in.

How did it run, dude?

on the nvidia shield portable, aside from some visual glitches like ryos eyes are a little iffy and some textures here and there, it ran full speed, i did use one of the ''non stable'' reicast builds, ironically though it runs shenmue better than the current ''stable'' build. The alpha effects like dust in my experience feature a sorta greenish look to it, however it looks better than the null dc build i have on my pc since it there it kinda looks pixely and weird, overall is awesome. The triigers also work property as i can make ryo walk exacly how im holding the trigger. Havent tried the arcade games thought
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

How did it run, dude?

on the nvidia shield portable, aside from some visual glitches like ryos eyes are a little iffy and some textures here and there, it ran full speed, i did use one of the ''non stable'' reicast builds, ironically though it runs shenmue better than the current ''stable'' build. The alpha effects like dust in my experience feature a sorta greenish look to it, however it looks better than the null dc build i have on my pc since it there it kinda looks pixely and weird, overall is awesome. The triigers also work property as i can make ryo walk exacly how im holding the trigger. Havent tried the arcade games thought

Awesome! I've absolutely no experience with emulating Shenmue on anything before, but it's great to hear it's fully playable on a portable device :)

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: GYO6161
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue