Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Giorgio » Mon May 05, 2014 6:10 pm

I saw it on another video on YT, it didn't have a description how to do it (even though it is obvious), but it was even low in resolution that this.

I believe there is still things left undiscovered, like this tricky thing. I tried to do the same thing to other objects (zoom in the object, open and close the notebook, press a), with no effect so far ...probably others combinations must be made.

BlueMue wrote:[...] The game really is like life, you always and forever learn from it!
Couldn't agree more!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Giorgio » Mon May 19, 2014 4:16 pm

These are the amazing things in Shenmue! :P
phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Mon May 19, 2014 6:10 pm

This is really weird... I know that NPCs stand around there from time to time but I didn't know that they would change and disappear like that and especially never noticed that sign on the floor.

Seems like a parking lot for NPCs that have to be preloaded before they start their daily routine in Dobuita or some other crazy eco system balancing act. And they all spawn nicely right where that sign is... Anyways this is truly a great find!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rakim » Mon May 19, 2014 9:35 pm

I finally watched the In Ryo's Footsteps documentary and I have to say I was a bit let down. There were a few entertaining moments, but I think too much was packed into a short amount of time and it seemed rushed to the point that I came away feeling like almost nothing Shenmue-related was covered beyond shit you can do right here in America (or wherever the person reading this is from).

Also the "testimonials"(I don't know what to call them. interviews?) dragged on a bit and the segments where he gets all nerd-emotional were kinda weird, but I'm probably just being a cunt.

2.5/5 stars.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Someone from Japan beat the first and the last leader from the 70 Man Battle, by just using the second leader with the stick. Japanese-style crazy video! :P
phpBB [video]
Another from a Japanese. Ryo's having some twists! Just see him drinking a coffee with a twisted neck... xD [By the way, does anyone know how to do this? This video seems to explain how, but it's in Japanese, too...]
phpBB [video]
And the king of all Japanese Shenmue videos... pantsu!
phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Axm
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiyuu » Sat May 24, 2014 1:03 am

Giorgio wrote: [By the way, does anyone know how to do this? This video seems to explain how, but it's in Japanese, too...]

I've tried to explain how to do it in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29962&start=15

It's really hard to explain. Though the links there are all dead now, you have the YouTube video to watch. Hope you can trigger it.

Kiyuu has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Sat May 24, 2014 7:31 am

Giorgio wrote: Praise the Gong, with Ryo Hazuki the Gong Master:
phpBB [video]

great find. I assume this works in all versions?

maybe its an animation that was meant to be included but a glitch prevented the command from appearing and opening the note book glitches it into activating. or maybe this was truly intended as a secret.

I might as well ask this here, but does anyone know where I can download a really good 80min version of Japanese Shenmue 1, and also a really good 80 min version of japanese Shenmue 2. most of the 80 min versions out there have a lot of audio missing.

has anyone ever untaken the task of just downsampling the audio of the vanilla Japanese versions and made great 80 versions?

thanks guys
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Thu May 29, 2014 10:40 am

A wonderful video. Two beautiful things combined together. Walking in the streets of Japan, while listening to Shenmue music. Surrealistic.
phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:38 pm

I just heard a line from Ryo Hazuki's voice files, that is:
"She's gone. Suppose she must have found it."
That seems like if you don't leave for Dobuita (I think if you leave she's gone anyway) and in the same time you take a long time to go to her, then you won't be able to found her at the park. Of course, I am talking for the old lady who's looking for Yamamoto's house.

Also heard a line, that is like: "I won't eat now, I'll eat later." Probably this is an unused file or it can be triggered somehow by zooming in the food on the table of Ryo's house?

Heard other lines, too, but those impressed me the most until now. It's quite interesting to listen to this. Perhaps I'll update this post with other impressions.

Edit: Ryo says: "About the payphone in front of Manpukuken Ramen? Disappeared?"
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:55 pm

For me this is one of the quintessential things about Shenmue: http://youtu.be/YIhi0LN6h-M (video also here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46812&p=1073835#p1073825)

The interesting and/or deep conversations, with interesting and/or deep unique personalities of the Shenmue world. The empathy that you progressively feel for the characters and the bonding you're building with.

Furthermore, the beauty, the artistry, the chronology, the geography, the mythology, the culture, the setting, the atmosphere, the music, the emotions, the ambition, the desire, the patience, the suspense, the philosophy, the romanticism, the pureness, the simplicity (being grounded - feeling like a real life world), the realism, the humour, the agony, the spirituality and all the experience that is being projected to you and immerse you in it, that maybe cannot be expressed by words or in that single video.

Personally, I see more than a game in this piece of digital interactive entertainment called Shenmue, something that transcends games.

Messages...

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: BlueMue, MiTT3NZ
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I think a similar thing whenever you hear Yamagishi-san's random words of wisdom. He's easily one of the most well-written characters in video games, despite the simplicity. Everyone knows someone like him, and to have such an out'n'out "normal" character in a game, even as "grounded" as Shenmue is just something else altogether. And for all the shit that the game gets for poor voice acting, I reckon his is actually spot-on.

MiTT3NZ has received 3 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, Henry Spencer
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Agreed on that, Yamagashi is one of my favourite characters from the original too and as you say, the most well written. I would always go especially to him after each segment of the story would change, just to listen to his words of wisdom, even when he didn't know what Ryo was looking for, he always had something interesting to say at least. Plus he teaches Ryo one of my favourite martial arts moves in the series: the Double Blow (which is way OP'd in the first game, especially if you level it up to the advanced stage). I was happy to find that hidden cutscene with him just a couple of years back, which was a real nice little scene where he talks about the Sword Handguard(?) with Ryo. Never knew that was in there and just found it by chance. That old man had his head on straight anyway and only Jianmin in S2 really came close to being on the same level of likeability for me (although he feigns ignorance/being simple-minded when he's definitely far wiser than he pretends to be).

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: BlueMue, MiTT3NZ
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Ziming » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Youtuber Daym Drops shows some love for Shenmue.

http://instagram.com/p/pUIBC6mFVm/#

Ziming has received a thanks from: Axm
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Swapped the fighting styles of Ryo with Enoki and changed the model of Ryo with Lan Di's, but when Lan Di's incarnation came to Dobuita, he learned that Ryo's still in the cave and start jumping like a crazy chimpanzee from happiness!

phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Axm
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fenix » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:59 pm

LOL Giorgio, that's AMAZING hahahahaha.

Fenix has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Fenix