Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Fenix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:25 am

mue 26 wrote: I with Yu on the Tomato store riddim, not even 10 hours is enough of it for me

phpBB [video]

A friend challenged me to watch the full video. I accepted and cleared it.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby SaM_4000 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:30 am

I wonder is it possible to get a winning can when you buy a drink for Wang? I'm guessing that it isn't possible...
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:46 am

Be jokes if Ryo snatched it off him.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: SaM_4000
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:53 pm

I was having a pretty bad day these last couple days, but then I remembered, Shenmue 3 is happening! Anything is possible if I just believe. I won't throw in the towel!

phpBB [video]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Got my PAL copy of Shenmue II in the mail today. Burned a boot disc and took it for a (very short) spin.
It's so weird... why does it feel like such a rush to be playing SII in Japanese? It's certainly an improvement. I guess I just never watched many videos of the Japanese track or something, but it's nice hearing a version of Ryo that's not quite so robotic. Doesn't matter at all that I don't speak the language; the difference in acting quality is plain as day.
I still defend people's right to prefer the English dub, but Japanese was always going to be the preference for me, given the choice.
Do have to say though, the Xbox version was obviously prettier. People can debate all they like about blurriness or what have you; the DC version seems to have frequent slowdown, and everything looks a tiny bit more drab and less vibrant. Of course, this is all just judging by the dock up to Pigeon Park, so I can't speak for the rest of it.
All the same, I'd say the two versions seem to be about 50/50; the DC sounds better, the Xbox looks better.

OL has received a thanks from: Supa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:27 pm

The lack of English dub made me just bomb through it, and I got rid of my original Xbox before I landed Shenmue 2X, so I never truly got to appreciate it. Actually, now that I think about it, why the hell have I never jumped on the whole "let's hate Peter Moore" bandwagon? Fuck off Moore, you gay, sheep shagging cunt!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:41 pm

I remember the first time a friend showed me Shenmue, he went straight to the two punk schoolgirls on the corner and kept talking to them. We died laughing. :lol:
That was my first exposure to the game.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:09 am

^ I got similar laughs from some of the biker tough guys around town in the first game. I remember laughing my ass off at the school girls too, if I came up on some girls like that... yikes. Like wtf are you saying and why are you even talking to me? It was a pretty ridiculous sequence when you really think about it, think japan is actually like that? Or worse maybe there are places everywhere that are like that :shock:

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby NismoZZzz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 am

Ordered an upscaler to play the game from VGA to HDMI again. Not shooting for a perfect game, just want to relive the story once more.
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:59 am

OL wrote: Got my PAL copy of Shenmue II in the mail today. Burned a boot disc and took it for a (very short) spin.
It's so weird... why does it feel like such a rush to be playing SII in Japanese? It's certainly an improvement. I guess I just never watched many videos of the Japanese track or something, but it's nice hearing a version of Ryo that's not quite so robotic. Doesn't matter at all that I don't speak the language; the difference in acting quality is plain as day.
I still defend people's right to prefer the English dub, but Japanese was always going to be the preference for me, given the choice.
Do have to say though, the Xbox version was obviously prettier. People can debate all they like about blurriness or what have you; the DC version seems to have frequent slowdown, and everything looks a tiny bit more drab and less vibrant. Of course, this is all just judging by the dock up to Pigeon Park, so I can't speak for the rest of it.
All the same, I'd say the two versions seem to be about 50/50; the DC sounds better, the Xbox looks better.

Thank you for rationally explaining your preference. This is what most people don't do. They just jump on the "English dub sucks!11!" bandwagon, just like the Peter Moore one.

Supa has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Thinking back to that fight on the roof of the Yellow head building. I think that is perhaps the most epic moment in any video game for me. Everything about it, is just perfect. The sunset, desperately trying to pull of that QTE for the special move you learned from Xuiying Hong, the stare between Ryo and Lan Di.

You know how as you get older things you thought were great, don't seem so mind blowingly amazing anymore. This is like the opposite for me. Youtubing it now, and it sends literal shivers down me. I love that game.

mue 26 has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Miles Prower, OL, SaM_4000, Supa
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SaM_4000 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:37 am

"You're better than I thought kid" says the guy at MJQ Jazz Bar after I missed the shot on the billiards table about 12 consecutive times. :lol:

SaM_4000 has received a thanks from: Supa
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:36 pm

mue 26 wrote: Thinking back to that fight on the roof of the Yellow head building. I think that is perhaps the most epic moment in any video game for me. Everything about it, is just perfect. The sunset, desperately trying to pull of that QTE for the special move you learned from Xuiying Hong, the stare between Ryo and Lan Di.

You know how as you get older things you thought were great, don't seem so mind blowingly amazing anymore. This is like the opposite for me. Youtubing it now, and it sends literal shivers down me. I love that game.

Truth. I still get chills from that whole sequence too. I think the more relaxed pace of Disc 4 was needed after that :P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ElephantStone » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Just booted up Shenmue and have spent the last couple hours running around Sakuragaoka and Dobuita, messing around in the arcade, practicing some moves, popping into that stupid fortune teller, talking to Megumi, Yamagishi-san, Tom, Nozomi and all that, just exploring the world. All I can think is "holy fuck, Shenmue III is actually coming."

ElephantStone has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby JaySw34 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:52 pm

When the guy in the MJQ bar threw me the pool que, his under arm would always freak me out.

The worker at the harbor had a funny voice and he'd never help you out - "Excuse Me!! Ask me again some otha time!" He'd shout for no reason

God damn cats getting in the way of my forklift.

When Mark first tells you about the Long Zha in a cutscene and tells you everything he knows. After the scene you walk over to talk to him by the water and he miraculously has more info.

Asking the bum Shozo Mizuki about getting a job at the harbor :lol:

JaySw34 has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue