Playing Dreamcast on an HDTV

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Playing Dreamcast on an HDTV

Postby Ziming » Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm

CRT's are all pretty much the same except those Sony CRT sets, they used to have some high end models like the XBR960.

You should look for a CRT TV with component or hdmi inputs. Then you can use a vga to component/hdmi converter. Due to the size and weight of these sets you'll need to search locally using Craigslist. It might not be worth the hassle...
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Nahovil » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:45 am

I apologise for the derailing of the thread, as I figured posting here would be better than creating a new one.

I've been wanting to buy the VGA Box for a long while now, and now that I would be able to do so, the price has risen almost twofold. Bearing that in mind, I would be most grateful if someone could resolutely answer this question for me: what is the fundamental difference between

the "VGA Cable with sound" - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-Dreamcas ... 4610aa1b2e

and the VGA Box - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dreamcast-VGA ... 5394890%26

?
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am

The box is usually the better choice. It always gives the ability to switch over to Composite or S-Video. It also has the advantage of being able to use your own VGA and audio cables. But on the other hand you have to have those cables and since your living in Europe it would be a better choice to just switch to an RGB cable for the games that don't support VGA rather then switching the box to an inferior cable.

I had almost the same box a couple of years ago. The only difference is that mine was black. That box was bad, it only lastet a few sessions, then I would get flickering lines and soon no picture at all. It may have been just my box but I wanted to point this out. I have one of those clear VGA boxes now and it does a perfect job since hundreds of hours. But you're right about the prices exploding... they want over 170€ for that one now! I paid like 40€ at most for mine.

I'd probably go with the cable if you can win the auction for less then the box goes. Otherwise just buy the box and try it out. If it breaks or something you could ask for refunds.

By the way, don't expect any wonders with the VGA cable, espescially if you have a large TV. It is sharper and more clear than any RGB cable but it doesn't magically make the image look like Shenmue II on the 360.
The Dreamcast has some strange rendering I have a hard time to describe since I never got to know what it's called. Over the whole image and especially on gradients you'll see like a faint grid made out ouf +'s.
I have a 55" TV and they are very noticable. You can even see them with the image set to 1:1 if you watch closely.
This does however only apply to 3D graphics. The arcade games for example look incredible.
I wish someone could explain what exactly the Dreamcast does to the image...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby DreamcastPast » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 pm

SpinDash wrote: By the way, don't expect any wonders with the VGA cable, espescially if you have a large TV. It is sharper and more clear than any RGB cable but it doesn't magically make the image look like Shenmue II on the 360.
The Dreamcast has some strange rendering I have a hard time to describe since I never got to know what it's called. Over the whole image and especially on gradients you'll see like a faint grid made out ouf +'s.
I have a 55" TV and they are very noticable. You can even see them with the image set to 1:1 if you watch closely.
This does however only apply to 3D graphics. The arcade games for example look incredible.
I wish someone could explain what exactly the Dreamcast does to the image...

I've not experienced any of these issues with my different VGA boxes over the years. If you want the BEST picture you can get natively from the DC then the set up is very simple... Dreamcast, VGA BOX (must have a box, not just a VGA lead) & a CRT monitor... yes, a CRT monitor from a few years ago. Connecting a 480p VGA signal to a modern LED will result in image scaling by the TV which softens (slightly blurs) the picture. For a true 480p signal that represents crisp clear pixels you must use an old computer CRT monitor, preferably 4:3 ratio which can be picked up pretty cheap now. Once you've run this set up you won't go back.
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Yeah I know, the image on a CRT monitor looks good. I had my Dreamcast hooked up to a 17" one years ago for some testing and the picture looked pretty clear. It's logical that a CRT will hide some of the nasty stuff because of how it works and becuase of the smaller size compared to an HDTV. Scaling is of course a factor that makes the image blurry but that's the price of the size you get from an HDTV. But it doesn't create the rendering thing, that's always there. Had different boxes, Dreamcasts, cables, TVs and monitors and was always able to spot it at some point.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Shit these accessories are expensive,
middle fucking class expensive for a wire!!!
Well, back to project crapcast.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby DreamcastPast » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 pm

SpinDash wrote: Scaling is of course a factor that makes the image blurry but that's the price of the size you get from an HDTV.

I'll take quality of image over size any day.
DreamcastPast

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 am

A Kiera Knightley fan, eh?

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: DreamcastPast
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:31 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: A Kiera Knightley fan, eh?

ziiiiing
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Nahovil » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Thank you for the input, you all. On top of that, what would you make of Cabou's VGA cable, which, supposedly, works just as a normal VGA Box?

or of "THE ULTIMATE DREAMCAST VGA BOX WITH SCANLINER"

Check here, too: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44810

This Hanzo one has been getting very good reviews... What do you reckon?
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby DreamcastPast » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Buying a VGA box made for the Dreamcast will give you the higher 480P signal, rather than the standard 480i signal used by the scart output etc. I'd personally only buy a VGA box to make sure I was getting a 480P signal. If you want to try a boxless cable that supposedly gives you the same performance of a VGA box then you'd need to make sure that they output a signal of 480P before buying!!

As for scanline generators or line doublers, it depends what you want to play... they are mainly used for older arcade boards that out put 240, scanlines are added every other line to bring the res up to 480P... but games like Shenmue are already pushing out 480P with the VGA box. If you were using your DC for 2D sprite based games like shmups and Street Fighter 2 type games then they can look quite nice with scanlines as they are output at 240, but generally avoid if you are playing '3D' graphic games like Shenmue, Crazy Taxi etc etc...

For more info on scanline generators/line doublers look at faginrs500's youtube channel...

And one last thing to consider... upscalers and scanline generators are processing the image, this takes time. Some people have been experiencing slight input lag when using these devices, not much, around 1 frame per second (the DC runs at around 30 frames per second), some people notice it, some don't, but something to consider.

My preferred set up: For sharpest picture and quickest performance keep it simple. As I said before: DC + VGA Box + CRT computer monitor.
DreamcastPast

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Is there anyone who sells a VGa box within the states?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DreamcastPast » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:30 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: Is there anyone who sells a VGa box within the states?

There a couple on eBay being sold from within the States.
DreamcastPast

Postby Nahovil » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Thank you, DreamcastPast. I will probably go for that Hanzo one.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:21 am

Got refunded for that one that seemingly got lost in the mail from the UK (or taken by the TSA) and ordered one from Ohio, which is close by me. Here's to hoping that Retrobit VGA box will work with my television's VGA port.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue