Shenmue Art Book

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Art Book

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:47 am

I swear down, what's inside that artbook is currently one of the biggest (solvable) mysteries for the majority of Shenmue fans, who aren't the chosen few who have the book and remain silent on the issue. WHAT IS INSIDE THAT BOOK? Is it all fresh artwork none of us have laid eyes on before!!??
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Outlawstar98 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm

next one that comes up, I should buy and do some HD scans lol, or someone who has one.
Outlawstar98
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: outlawstar98
Steam: outlawstar98
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: EVERYTHING

Postby Mitsuzuki » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 pm

The book is 30 pages long and written completely in Japanese. There are bios for the primary voice actors, details about the play mechanics such as FREE, QTE, the weather system and characters, amongst other things.

There's a very interesting Making Of section, with photos of the Japanese voice actors doing their lines, maps and character art which includes images of what look like actual 3D busts of game characters. There is also a production flow chart- perhaps showing character interactions. It finishes with a section of Yu Suzuki talking game concept.

The reason why there's no scans is because someone would need to sacrifice the quality of their art book by either folding the pages fully open (which would give a spine crease) or by tearing the pages out altogether. You would have to do one of those two things to get satisfactory scans as images and text goes right to the inner spine.

I actually have two of them, and can take a few pictures if anyone is interested. I remember Peter had a bunch of images in a thread some time ago.

I would be interested in taking pictures of all the pages if I can enlist the help of someone who can translate Japanese to English. I'd love to know what the book says.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Axm
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Fenix » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:39 pm

There are interesting pics of maps inside the artbook. It's so beautiful. Don't expect a book full of artworks. It's more a promo book made with good quality than an artbook.

I got mine from Mitsuzuki. Perfect deal. The book arrived exactly as it was in the pictures.

It's one of my favorite items. I brought it to Yu Suzuki to get it signed at Gamelab :)
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Peter » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Did he give any reaction to you having the book Fenix?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 am

Glad you're enjoying it, Fenix! But I am super-jealous you met the man and got it personally signed. :)

I have a couple of the games signed, but since I picked them up from eBay there's no way to know if they're actually legit, or whether the seller decided to get creative with a $2 sharpie.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Fenix
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Fenix » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:11 am

Peter wrote: Did he give any reaction to you having the book Fenix?

Absolutely not. He stopped and signed the book and another book of "Suzuki's works" of another fan and entered to the conference room.

The funny moment was before the conference. When I gave him my sealed Shenmues. He was going to sign its but he stopped suddenly and said "ooOoh!". I wonder what he was thinking. Maybe something like "you're sick, freak".

Mitsuzuki wrote: Glad you're enjoying it, Fenix! But I am super-jealous you met the man and got it personally signed. :)

I have a couple of the games signed, but since I picked them up from eBay there's no way to know if they're actually legit, or whether the seller decided to get creative with a $2 sharpie.

Just compare them to my pictures. I have them in HD if you want. His signature is not exactly the same in the artbook and the games.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby laagi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 am

Just a heads up for all Dojo members my last pieces of Shenmue collection is up on eBay. Only lacking F4F EE Ryo Hazuki Figure (086/350) & 4 glossy Posters from the TGS 1999; which will be listed tonight. So be sure to check it out! Thanks.

http://www.ebay.ch/sch/laagi/m.html Free worldwide shipping!
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby laagi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Shenmue Timex Watch added to my auctions!
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Man I wish I had all these awesome Shenmue things. Or at least the money to buy them now...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby laagi » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Don't be put off by those prices ;-) I'm open to any reasonable offer. As always part will be donated to the Dojo.
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Fenix » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Oh come on!!!!!!! Just when a watch appears I have my account empty.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 am

laagi wrote: Don't be put off by those prices ;-) I'm open to any reasonable offer. As always part will be donated to the Dojo.

The thing is I haven't got the money right now. And I possibly couldn't afford any of this stuff until next year, at least not the timex watch. :)
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:10 am

Same thing.

Need the watch to complete my collection and i am broke. :|
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby laagi » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:07 am

Just a little push up again for my post. All my Shenmue items will go on Auction by 10:30 pm (CET) tonight. So be sure to check it out ;-) Happy Bidding to all of you!
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue