Tell me what you think of my plan

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Tell me what you think of my plan

Postby liquidmetalrob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:16 pm

I just recently discovered Shenmue and have been wanting to play it. However I think it's unfair that it was only ever released on the Dreamcast, meaning that I'd have to pay about £100 (I live in the UK), roughly around $165 US, to get a Dreamcast, VGA box and the game from eBay. I know it's an awesome game, but still for an older game that's a lot seeing as I would really only want the Dreamcast to play Shenmue 1 and 2.
Also, the thing about buying the game on eBay is I'd be paying money for it but that money wouldn't actually go to Sega, just some random guy.
So my solution is to just get the rom on an emulator and then buy some Sega games on the Wii Virtual Console, not play them (see if I can delete them) and then play Shenmue instead, thereby indirectly paying Sega for it.
Final Fantasy VII was put onto Steam last year unlike Shenmue and that sells for £10 where I am. So seeing as Shenmue's from around the same time and had a similar budget I think that's pretty fair. But then seeing as Wii points are £7 for 1000 I'll probably just get 2000 for £14 and use of them on Sega titles just for good measure.

What do you guys think about all that?
liquidmetalrob
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: FTL

Re: Tell me what you think of my plan

Postby Axm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:00 am

I think the performance would suffer running any kind of emulated ROM version on Wii. Id stick to using nulDC on your PC.
And in terms of giving Sega money indirectly for it, dont concern yourself over it. This isnt the Sega we loved anymore. They have plenty of money already and all they ever do is make bad decisions these days.
If anything keep your money for the RARE chance an official Yu Suzuki sponsored kick starter is made.
Then get a used Yakuza game and cry yourself to sleep.

Axm has received a thanks from: nskachu
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BlueMue » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:59 am

It's "unfair" that the Dreamcast has a game that makes the system worth owning?
I agree that it's a shame they still haven't released an HD port or Remake but that's a weird way of putting it.

If you want to feel good about emulating the game, simply only buy the game and put it on the shelve and then proceed to download and play it with nullDC or Demul. If you really feel like giving Sega some money, then buy some of their retro releases to make clear that you're interested in the good Sega. Oh and don't buy any of the Sonic games while you're at it. They make more then enough money of the hedgehog already (and that comes from someone who still likes Sonic).
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rakim » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:52 am

Its a bad idea. You will not only suffer from the bad experience of enduring the shitty ROM quality, but you'll also be encouraging Sega's current form in the worst way possible: monetarily.

If you really want to save money try the ROM first and then see if it is worth fake paying for it in the way you described.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby robatfreedom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Wait, how much are Dreamcasts going for these days??
robatfreedom
Asia Travel Representative

Postby robatfreedom » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:47 pm

@liquidmetalrob, where in the UK are you based?
robatfreedom

Postby TailsAndy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:16 pm

From what I read of OP he simply said run the game on an emulator not Wii emulating it. There isn't a Dreamcast emulator for the Wii since it isn't capable of running the games.

Playing using an emulator like NullDC or Demul on a capable computer is perfectly fine, can even be better.
TailsAndy

Nintendo FC: TailsAndy
Steam: TailsAndy
Currently playing: MK8,

Postby liquidmetalrob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:23 pm

robatfreedom wrote: @liquidmetalrob, where in the UK are you based?

Hey robatfreedom, I live in Windsor.
liquidmetalrob
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

I had to do a similar choice some weeks ago : vga cable + convertion hdmi box + shenmue II (I've already three dreamcast and Shenmue I) or invest completely my budget on my new PC. I choose the PC and have no regret. Shenmue on emulator is so wonderful and I consider it as the best way to spread the franchise towards new generations of players.

I still plan to buy Shenmue II and the VGA stuff one day, if the prices are not going too crazy. 70 € for the game is so harsh, why did I chose to buy Virtua Tennis 2 instead when it was released, fook :cry:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Thief » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Why are you against supporting the person on ebay? They need some love too.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby blashyrkhmr101 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:45 pm

I agree with Yokosuka regarding introducing Shenmue to a newer audience. I myself am a fairly new fan of Shenmue, but I chose to get the games (I already owned the consoles) to play.

However, convincing new-er gamers to invest in a Dreamcast in order to play two games that have a rep of being "boring", is pretty difficult. So, fortunately, emulation exists and I've been able to talk some people into playing Shenmue via emulator since they already have perfectly decent PCs and the results have been pretty good I think.

Hopefully, we will get a Shenmue HD soon, which will make for introducing new fans to the series significantly easier than trying to explain how to download, set up and then play Shenmue in an emulator.
blashyrkhmr101
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: blashyrkhmr101
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby liquidmetalrob » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Yeah, one alternative is to just hope it gets released on Steam. Unfortunately it sounds like that's only likely if Shenmue 3 goes into production because to just rerelease Shenmue 1 and 2 would just remind all the fans that there still hasn't been a 3.
liquidmetalrob
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby tomboz » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:11 pm

I'd wager you can pick up Shenmue, a Dreamcast and a VGA box for closer to £50 than £100 - but if that's too much for you I'd just download it. Downloading current games can be damaging to the industry - but downloading a 15 year old game that is no longer on sale, imo, is fine.

Personally I'd go with the DC version. Emulation can be clunky and doesn't compare with playing the game on a DC with a VGA monitor.
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:36 pm

I just noticed that my nulldc Shenmue II has some issues about the music, it's not exactly like the original as some notes are missing. Shows how the developers have compressed their stuff at their maximal peak, wow.

Another observation, positive this time : the japanese dub is excellent and way better than those I usually heard from animes. :heart: Even Nozomi no longer get on my nerves (yes I hated her US version)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Esppiral » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Dreamcasts are dirty cheap here, you can get one for as low as 25€, so this wouldn't be a problem, as for the games (shenmue I-II) and the VGA box, yes they are insanely expensive.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Next

Return to Shenmue