Shenmue 1 Questions

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue 1 Questions

Postby Micro Magic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Hey guys! I started replaying Shenmue 1 lately. Ya know, just reliving the masterpiece and all. I had some questions and I don't care about spoilers, so spoiler away!

I read that Ryo's dad killed Lan Di's dad. I know Lan Di is there simply to steal the dragon/phoenix mirror, but why doesn't he kill Ryo? He must know Ryo is going to come after him.

Does Ryo or Inesan or Fukusan go to the police?

Why is Ryo receiving cash in the mail? Is it some sort of trust fund or something?

Where's Ryo's mom?

Who runs the dojo? Does anyone run the dojo? Why do I never see students there? Is Fukusan the only student? Is Fukusan now the teacher?

One thing that irked the shit out me from the first time I played was the old woman at the beginning. She asks for help finding the Yamamoto's house and you help her rest at the park. Then there's the sign that has the map of the town. Why can't I tell her the Yamamoto lives right across the street from the park!!! This was as upsetting the second time as the first time. Actually, the first time around I literally knocked on every door all the way back up to Ryo's house. I figured there might have been a glitch or the graphics didn't line up properly. Sometimes trial and error works. Not that time.
Micro Magic
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Shenmue 1 Questions

Postby nskachu » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Lan Di does not kill Ryo because it is not part of his revenge, that's all. The bad ending tells us, that Lan Di simply did not know about the phoenix mirror.
We do not know if they go to the police, although it is likely. But still, the police can not do anything about the chinese mafia.
The cash is his allowance. Just money, that the housekeeper Ine-san gives him as some kind pf pocket money. (So Ryo does not waste it all at once for gachapon toys lol).
Ryo's mother died when Ryo was a child. He does not really remember her, although his mother was supposed to be a key character in Ryo's memories.
Fuku-san is the only student and he leads the dojo and the students tat come when Ryo leaves (Shenmue gai revealed this fact sort of).
To help that old lady in the beginnig, you habe to look at those signs next to the doors in order to tell her. Then Ryo will read the sign with the name. To find the sign, look for the name on the map(at the exit).
Hopefully this helps you.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:35 pm

You can phone the police but the Ryo's explanations are still not very clear.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Micro Magic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:50 pm

nskachu wrote:The cash is his allowance. Just money, that the housekeeper Ine-san gives him as some kind pf pocket money. (So Ryo does not waste it all at once for gachapon toys lol).

In communist Japan, housekeeper pays you!

To help that old lady in the beginnig, you habe to look at those signs next to the doors in order to tell her. Then Ryo will read the sign with the name. To find the sign, look for the name on the map(at the exit).
Hopefully this helps you.

I'm determined good guy Ryo isn't going to sadistically keep this old woman waiting. Here's what I did a couple of times.

1. I press A in front of the street map and moved the analogue stick all around, maybe it needed to trigger some flag or something.

2. I walked over to the Yamamoto house and used the analogue stick to read the sign. It didn't work even though it works on the other signs.

3. I went into first person with Right Trigger and success! I got a closeup of the sign and it said, "Yamamoto".

4. I went over to the old lady to harass her and tell her I still had no Idea where the Yamamoto lived. Even though I'm Ryo and know everyone by name and this is the neighborhood I ostensibly grew up in. Take that old lady!
Micro Magic
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Micro Magic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Is the old lady side quest bugged? I want to go through the game 100% this time and I can't find any information at gamefaqs about it.
Micro Magic
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby BlueMue » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:25 am

There is no known bug while helping the old lady. I've never heard anyone have problems with this.
You definately just have to lock on to the Yamamto sign and then walk towards the old lady sitting on the swing and the game will trigger the cutscene. My advice here would be to restart the game, if you haven't done that yet.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Micro Magic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Well, 4th time's the charm! When I look at the sign I needed to also press A afterwards so Ryo can say, "Yamamoto, well time to talk to the old lady."

Thanks!
Micro Magic
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 am

Hey guys I have my own question. I'm looking to play shenmue on my American dreamcast. I want to play with the Japanese voice acting and English subtitles, so I can practice my Japanese. Didn't someone make a version like this recently?
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:47 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: Hey guys I have my own question. I'm looking to play shenmue on my American dreamcast. I want to play with the Japanese voice acting and English subtitles, so I can practice my Japanese. Didn't someone make a version like this recently?

Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

You would need a way to play a PAL version Dreamcast game on your NTSC Dreamcast console.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks Georgio! Has Shenmue II been undubbed? I would like to carry over my progress if possible.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: Has Shenmue II been undubbed? I would like to carry over my progress if possible.

The PAL version of Shenmue II on Dreamcast already has Japanese dubbing (and English subtitles).
You can carry over your progress if you play the PAL versions of both titles.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Why not try to play the game without English subtitles and try to learn through context? It seems like a healthier way to learn a language to me. This is a similar concept in that it's best to actually be around Japanese people in Japan to actually learn real Japanese instead of bits and phrases.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Is Shenmue 1 pal in japanese with English subtitles?

Speaking with NPC's while listening in japanese then asking a character a second time and reading the subtitles can provide a flash card style of learning. I'm about N3 so I still have a ways to go, but I might as well incorporate my favorite game into my studies.

ShOzO MiZuKi has received a thanks from: Supa
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:11 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: Is Shenmue 1 pal in japanese with English subtitles? [...]

This one Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99] is. But it's fan made, not official (and there's not any official). Furthermore, you can get English dubbing with Japanese subtitles by playing Shenmue US.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks I actually have US Shenmue. But would I be able to play a continued Shenmue II with English subtitles?
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue