Replaying S1 and S2

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Replaying S1 and S2

Postby lavrentis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Do we replay them now or wait until the end of 2016 before S3 comes out?

Hmm
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Replaying S1 and S2

Postby Wolfgame » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:55 pm

I'm planning to start a play through of Shenmue 1, maybe even tomorrow. What better reason to return to my favorite game then celebrating the confirmed development of Shenmue 3!
Wolfgame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby rome » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:13 am

I was playing Shenmue for a couple hours before the Sony conference started, and I'm continue to play right now.

This is so amazing, I'll be playing a ton of Shenmue 1 and 2 in the coming year+ Fucking new dc and Shenmue game just arrived today. What a day my friends.

rome has received a thanks from: Birty
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:59 am

I'm planning on replaying them soon. It's been years.
Unlike some, I don't have regular intervals that I play the series at, so it's been on my shelf for a long while. Probably gonna hook up the DC tomorrow and give it a spin. I just hope the old bird still works.

OL has received a thanks from: Birty
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Supa » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 am

Definitely will be playing a lot until Shenmue III!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby HedlessChickn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:06 am

I know I'm going to start a run through 1 tomorrow. Gonna take my time with it this go around. Usually try to complete it as soon as possible.

I never really did a slow play through of 2. I'm going to after I'm done with 1.
HedlessChickn
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: HedlessChickn
XBL: HedlessChickn
Steam: HedlessChickn
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Birty » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:56 am

I am going to attempt to convince my girlfriend to play it. She has never heard of the game but I feel like I need to get her on the same hype level as me so we will see how that works out.

Birty has received a thanks from: Supa
Birty
Old School
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: TWH Birty2k

Postby urbanveteran » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:25 am

we should just start at the beginning and everyone should refresh their memories of the game and the cliffhanger we were all left on. Of course we can finished the two games before any Shenmue 3 release. But finishing one and two now and again before it comes out. So we can finally find Lan Di.

As a kid it was so frustrating on that roof. I thought in Shenmue 2 I would have fought Lan Di. Then when I saw him hop on the helicopter I was like nooooo. Then thought oh they must be bringing out a 3rd. what a cliffhanger!

Can't wait :rotflmao:
urbanveteran
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby numanoid » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Actually I was planning to play both games on an emulator for a while now (since I sadly never owned a Dreamcast) but considering the state of the franchise was uncertain until recently I haven't found the time to do so.

However with this recent announcment I finally have a reason to dive into the games :)

With that being said I wanted to ask, what are the best versions of the games?
Afaik Shenmue 2 doesn't have an english dub (I prefer english sub anyway), but is it exactly the other way around for Shenmue 1 only having an english dub and not the original audio with subs?
I would assume so considering there is a download for two different modded versions in this forum but I just want to make sure... (which one is even better, sm1th's or kogami's?)

Also whats the deal with Dreamcast dumps, I came across at least 3 different versions for S2, one plainly labeled PAL, the other "PAL FULL (99min CDR)" and the last "Full Speech Version (80min Disc)" (there were still others but as far as I can tell those are english mods which I'm not aiming for).
Can anyone tell me what the difference between those versions is or if these differences even matter if I plan to play on an emulator?
Alternatively I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to a clean dump for S2, assuming its not forbidden to post direct links to such content here :)

edit: Also what I forgot to ask, does the Passport disc of S1 contain anything of relevance to the story that is not included with the game or can I even load it with an emulator?
numanoid
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:32 pm

As soon as I retrieve my Shenmue I from my parent's house, fuck yeah I'm playing through them again! Just the fact I can now do so without getting all mopey about the saga never continuing is motivation enough :P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:19 pm

numanoid wrote: Actually I was planning to play both games on an emulator for a while now (since I sadly never owned a Dreamcast) but considering the state of the franchise was uncertain until recently I haven't found the time to do so.

However with this recent announcment I finally have a reason to dive into the games :)

With that being said I wanted to ask, what are the best versions of the games?
Afaik Shenmue 2 doesn't have an english dub (I prefer english sub anyway), but is it exactly the other way around for Shenmue 1 only having an english dub and not the original audio with subs?
I would assume so considering there is a download for two different modded versions in this forum but I just want to make sure... (which one is even better, sm1th's or kogami's?)

Also whats the deal with Dreamcast dumps, I came across at least 3 different versions for S2, one plainly labeled PAL, the other "PAL FULL (99min CDR)" and the last "Full Speech Version (80min Disc)" (there were still others but as far as I can tell those are english mods which I'm not aiming for).
Can anyone tell me what the difference between those versions is or if these differences even matter if I plan to play on an emulator?
Alternatively I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to a clean dump for S2, assuming its not forbidden to post direct links to such content here :)

edit: Also what I forgot to ask, does the Passport disc of S1 contain anything of relevance to the story that is not included with the game or can I even load it with an emulator?

Don't know much about the ROMs, but Shenmue II was released in North America and Europe on the Xbox with an Englishh dub.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Coincidentally I'd just finished watching the Shenmue 2 cutscenes on the Dojo youtube channel..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:25 pm

lavrentis wrote: Do we replay them now or wait until the end of 2016 before S3 comes out?

Hmm

Play them now, a few times in between and once again before S3 comes out :P

I started the first Shenmue again yesterday, but my DC keeps randomly resetting itself out of nowhere. Any idea why???
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:11 am

me and my girlfriend plan to do side by side playthrough of both games hooked to 2 dreamcast with 2 tv's and play simultaneously after we finish kingdom hearts 2.5 which should be soon
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby csmakio » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:15 am

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio