What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:08 am

Since it's looking likely an HD will be coming out in the next couple of years following the news of Shenmue III, what do you want to see in a HD release?

Personally I hope they demolish the loading times. I want to wait maybe one second, just enough to see the time flash up and the location, but that's it. I hated the loading times in the original, it kept killing the immersion.

They also need to fix the way he walks. It's too stiff and awkward with the d-pad - make it so he can move in all directions fluidly like many other modern games, and I will be very happy indeed.

Oh, and Japanese voice overs with English subs as an option please! It's so bad in Shenmue II with English voice overs that it absolutely killed the immersion. I hated it on the xbox. Yet on my dreamcast (european) I had the Japanese voice overs and it was perfect due to the excellent acting by comparison.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

Postby Miles Prower » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:40 am

The ability to save anywhere in Shenmue I would be nice. And perhaps the option to skip time while waiting for certain events/meetings, like in Shenmue II. Personally, I rarely used it as I like to kill time exploring/getting capsule toys etc but it would probably make the game more appealing to new fans.

Miles Prower has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Thief, Yokosuka
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:45 am

The sequel improved so many things over the first game. A major feature I'd want included would be the Wait feature from Shenmue 2 in the first game.

Didn't have a problem with the English dub but I'd much prefer the native voices with English subs after years of playing Yakuza games in Japanese..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Thief
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:52 am

I just want both language options available and the wait feature.

Thief has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:09 am

What has been said here already and pretty much countless times. Save everywhere, skip time, selection wich language you want.

The QTEs could be changed to be more like they are in Shenmue II, where the button you need to press leads to an action that corresponds to what the button would perform in a fight. Also some new QTEs and Command QTEs where they fit, like when Ryo knocks out the two guys at Asia Travel Co.

I'd also like so see the inclusion of being able to select your question like in Shenmue II.

Basically bring Shenmue up to Shenmue II's feature set and make the game world a bit bigger with more of everything. Oh and Ryo should be able to eat the snacks he buys.

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Miles Prower, Thief
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:16 am

BlueMue wrote:
I'd also like so see the inclusion of being able to select your question like in Shenmue II.

One of the best things about Shenmue II. Just check out this video about Fangmei -- it's 48 minutes long! Just about talking to Fangmei about China and Japan and other things.

phpBB [video]
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby csmakio » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:24 am

Miles Prower wrote: The ability to save anywhere in Shenmue I would be nice. And perhaps the option to skip time while waiting for certain events/meetings, like in Shenmue II.

I don't know, if you asked me a week ago I would have agreed with you. Since I've been replaying the original running back to your house to save is part of the nostalgia for me. It's part of what makes Shenmue, Shenmue :heart:

Miles Prower wrote: but it would probably make the game more appealing to new fans.

you are dead accurate with this one. im guessing they change it.

csmakio has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Locke_cole » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 am

Include the Boat as a playable chapter
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:50 am

Locke_cole wrote: Include the Boat as a playable chapter

I want this too. I was thinking of a way to incorporate this into Shenmue 3...Perhaps Ryo's having a conversation with Shenhua and she asks him about how he traveled to China. Ryo has a flashback of his boat experience and we get to play through the flashback.

On topic, a lot of things I'd like changed have already been mentioned. I guess I'd like Ryo to have more sparring partners. We only get to fight Fuku-San once a day and it does get a little bit tedious at times trying to master your moves in some parking lot on your lonesome. Plus, I need a real sparring partner to practice throws. The sadist in me wants to have the opportunity to kick Yamagashi-San in his bad back once a day. Maybe the two black-suited punks, too.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Supa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:24 pm

ShenmueForeseen wrote: Since it's looking likely an HD will be coming out in the next couple of years following the news of Shenmue III, what do you want to see in a HD release?

Personally I hope they demolish the loading times. I want to wait maybe one second, just enough to see the time flash up and the location, but that's it. I hated the loading times in the original, it kept killing the immersion.

They also need to fix the way he walks. It's too stiff and awkward with the d-pad - make it so he can move in all directions fluidly like many other modern games, and I will be very happy indeed.

Oh, and Japanese voice overs with English subs as an option please! It's so bad in Shenmue II with English voice overs that it absolutely killed the immersion. I hated it on the xbox. Yet on my dreamcast (european) I had the Japanese voice overs and it was perfect due to the excellent acting by comparison.

I don't feel the controls are stiff at all. Never got where people were coming from with that.

Pretty much what everybody has already said: save anywhere, skip time, but I would also like the phone revived in Shenmue II! To call home and talk to Ine - san or Fuku - san would be cool.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:32 pm

A lot. I often think of the Hazuki Residence as the House of Missed Opportunities. So much shit in there that could've evolved into something else that had a direct effect on how we played the game. But alas, Dreamcast, budget, time, technology, limitations, bla bla fucking blaaa.

This is why I wanted a reboot instead.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Just merge the two into one game with Shenmue II's UI and conversation system and engine. Dislike how Ryo automatically walks down steps in Shenmue I.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby joka » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Definitely adding the boat chapter (or just some additional content) and just modernise the controls!

I agree if it does get done it should be pulled together as a bundle also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

joka has received a thanks from: ShinChuck
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby ShinChuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:12 am

Not too much, really.

I'd like Passport to be built into the main menu, or perhaps be able to access it from anywhere, and put most of the content offline (there's no reason the character biographies, for example, had to be online instead of off). Similarly, I'd like to see a Shenmue II Passport, or have Passport itself expanded to encompass II (Hong Kong weather reports, biographies of the new characters, leaderboards, so forth).

Add a few more SEGA games in there. Maybe put an OutRun cabinet in the harbor something.

Make Chapter 2 playable. Does that count? (Edit: Somehow overlooked that someone beat me to it!)

ShinChuck has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Miles Prower
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Supa » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Yeah, I forgot about how much the Magic Weather system shrunk in Shenmue II. It had to have snowed at least once in Hong Kong in early 1987.

With regards to the online character profiles, maybe there wasn't enough space on the disc to carry on 300+ of them?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to Shenmue