What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

Postby OL » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 am

^^No one is getting banned for it. Not even warned. That's my whole point. Making a joke or pointing out how over-the-top someone is acting is not an abuse of power. Senpai Gamer wasn't "punished" in any way for accidentally putting something in the wrong part of the forum, so amiga's outburst wasn't necessary. You're dragging your own past experiences with message boards into this. Past couple years on here, I haven't seen any of the staff abuse their power in the slightest.
We barely even act like authority figures most of the time. We're members, just like anyone else. So I don't see at all how my post was too "rough," when I had just been called a pissy nazi by another member.

amiga1200 wrote:^^ not seeing the joke, even on review. (smileys help to highlight the sarcasm)
and i was speaking for myself, experience here. (and i posted ONE subject in the off topic area, even though i KNEW it was for the general gaming area. WHY? it's because i'm NEW, and couldn't be fucked IT getting what i quoted...a 'joke' thinly veiled...
turns out, nobody pulled me on it, still there. 'credentials [off topic] nailed em!)
not speaking on behalf of anybody, but myself.
NOBODY needs to back me, or me them.
i stand alone, as i do wherever i'm at...including posts. (no sockpuppetry with me. if i get NUKED, the persons nuked with it, GONE!)
true, my posts are MEANT to make a point, NOT target.
advice is noted. :cry:

NOT everyone NEEDS to use SMILEYS to highlight their JOKES for THE sake of THOSE WHO don't UNDERSTAND them. Humor HAS existed for much LONGER than EMOTICONS have, and we ALL got BY just fine BEFORE.
NOW no more derailing THE topic. YOU'VE MADE it go FAR enough off the RAILS already.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

-

Postby danny » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:35 am

-
Last edited by danny on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Bambi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:09 pm

I guess you could say the appeal is unique, I love the series but could never get of my friends to play it for longer than an hour.

I sometimes wonder if I would have taken to it the same way now as I did back then.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Senpai Gamer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 pm

OL wrote:
amiga1200 wrote:
OL wrote: For me, it's the amazing power the game has to compel people to post topics in the wrong forum.
^^ un-FUCKIN-believable! :roll: ](*,)
saw it here first...and backs up what i said elsewhere in another dojo area. (no fuckin chance would i ask for help. creating a subject here is a now a NO-NO!)
welcome to the dojo!
a lot are nazis, and they behave like pissy board staffs with power, not to mention ALL the in-house biggin-up and thanking each-other on rep and wit related, NOT of substance.
SHAME ON YOU! (that post was bad, and you should FEEL bad. :mad: )
welcoming??? LOLOLOLOL!

Oh my god, I'm so sorry!

Oh wait, no I'm not. It was a joke. A joke which was neither hurtful nor mean-spirited, and didn't end with me rolling my eyes, calling anyone "pissy," or calling people nazis (by the way, the internet circa 2005 called; it wants its childish argument tactics back). Senpai Gamer made a small mistake, so I corrected it and made a short quip to explain the move. And oh, look at that: I stayed on topic with it too. It's kind of what a mod is supposed to do. If that makes me a nazi, then Heil freakin' Hitlah.
If Senpai Gamer took offense to it, then sure, apologies. Just making a joke.
But right now you're acting like that white guy who takes more offense at a black joke than a black guy does. You have no place to be getting upset about this.
If you want to talk about anyone's posts "stabbing" people in the eyes, I think you should go back and re-read a few of your own. Seriously, they're like goddamn prison shivs.
We don't all have to be constantly sucking each other off for it to be a good forum. So kindly get over it, mmkay? Advice for all parts of life.
Now excuse me while I goose step to another topic.

Its fine man. No offense taken. Loved the sarcastic way you said it
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby Sh3ppy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:22 pm

The immersion & sense of accomplishment were big ones for me personally. Traditionally I'm crap at fighting games (apart from Tekken), so getting through the big fights in Kowloon really challenged me initially. Others probably found it easy but as I played II first, I found it hard the first time. Now the fighting engine is one of my favourite aspects of Shenmue.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby muhu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Someone try and prove a better fighting system than Shenmue's. I'll give ya' 10 British pounds.
muhu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Bambi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:28 pm

muhu wrote: Someone try and prove a better fighting system than Shenmue's. I'll give ya' 10 British pounds.

The fighting system in Shenmue is horrendous.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sh3ppy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:31 pm

I like it to be honest. Don't play many fighting games but I've become quite proficient, which is rare for me.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:53 pm

^^ will do, on my own behalf. :mrgreen:
simples.
it's usually when you're getting multi-balled, ryo can only focus on one opponent at a time, which is fair enough.
it's being able to target the blind siders or flankers effectively, and that's ROCK SOLID...
at least i wasn't winning every battle first time, took practice...lots of!
if a rebuild shows up, it's possible to improve that aspect, but in fairness, it probably added to it's replay quality, to achieve the objectives, and see it through.
worth it. :P
[edit]
correction.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Bambi » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm

muhu wrote:
Bambi wrote:
muhu wrote: Someone try and prove a better fighting system than Shenmue's. I'll give ya' 10 British pounds.

The fighting system in Shenmue is horrendous.

Elaborate else I cannot support your opinion.

The main issue is a combination of the dodge/parry ability being incredibly unintuitive and the camera picking the most awkward angles possible, naturally the fights with multiple opponents are the worst offenders.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby amiga1200 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm

:| right!
i won't ever claim it's perfect, nothing is.
above said it better, and neater. (i'll use own style. some just don't understand the ad lib?! okay. two way street.)
the controls are difficult to master, but apart from coin-op shooters what isn't?
one thing that was hard to manage, the strafe...
or i was just rubbish at it?
tbh, the first time playing the game, as it was groundbreaking at the time, just wasn't a fan of the qte's at all.
caught me off guard a lot of the time, had to sit on the edge of seat in anticipation of the nest seamless fire poker shoved up the arse.
the game was a twisted bondage affair.
frustrating and painful, but rewarding. (not a plinko/connect4 fan either)
if it wasn't for the seamless nature of the game (unlike xbox for s2 using video clips. dreamcast doesn't.) and the depth of it all-round, likely i wouldn't have hurt myself (and pads) for the payoff.
shenmue is like CRACK!
all the kool-kids do it, and it's motivation in a rock, by jesus, what a price to pay for this torrid love affair. ](*,) :rotflmao:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:00 pm

You have to be joking, right? Sure, it's a perfectly functional (though certainly not perfect) fighting system, but do you honestly think it's better than the one from the Batman: Arkham series, Sleeping Dogs, the Souls series, Bloodborne, and countless others?

You, yourself, might think so - and you're 100% entitled to your opinion - but it's simply not the case.

EDIT: Re-reading my post, I came off as quite harsh, for which I apologise :oops:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Calshot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:07 pm

ShenGCH wrote:

You have to be joking, right? Sure, it's a perfectly functional (though certainly not perfect) fighting system, but do you honestly think it's better than the one from the Batman: Arkham series, Sleeping Dogs, the Souls series, Bloodborne, and countless others?

You, yourself, might think so - and you're 100% entitled to your opinion - but it's simply not the case.

EDIT: Re-reading my post, I came off as quite harsh, for which I apologise :oops:

You could have picked better examples. I haven't played Sleeping Dogs or Bloodborne, but Arkham has terrible combat and Souls is fun but nothing groundbreaking.

Bambi wrote:The main issue is a combination of the dodge/parry ability being incredibly unintuitive and the camera picking the most awkward angles possible, naturally the fights with multiple opponents are the worst offenders.

What's so hard about the parry button? You hit the button when someone's about to attack you or dodge in a direction out of the way.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Sh3ppy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43 am

muhu wrote:
Calshot wrote:What's so hard about the parry button?

Y is the parry/evade button.

One damn button which supposedly gets Ryo to move or block (at the moment of) an opposing strike yet what we get is an occasional mess of him evading miraculously into space with virtually no clue how. In all aspects, the evade button is pure garbage unless there are much more accurate command inputs when you press Y and a direction.

So you go from posting that Shenmue's combat system is the best ever, to the parry function being complete garbage. So which is it?
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bambi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:53 am

Calshot wrote:
Bambi wrote:The main issue is a combination of the dodge/parry ability being incredibly unintuitive and the camera picking the most awkward angles possible, naturally the fights with multiple opponents are the worst offenders.

What's so hard about the parry button? You hit the button when someone's about to attack you or dodge in a direction out of the way.

That's the theory but as many can attest the success of the resultung action will vary. It's actually easier to parry reliably in Street Fighter 3rd Strike than in Shenmue.

It's not a big deal as Shenmue isn't a fighting game, it's just something that should be acknowledged when refecting on what elements from the game have aged poorly.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue