Why is Shenmue 1 so different to the sequel?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Why is Shenmue 1 so different to the sequel?

Postby James Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:05 am

fittersau wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Shenmue II just doesn't have the charm the first game has. While it is still a great game, I much prefer the first to the sequel. It'll be interesting to see what they do with 3. I really can't wait to hear more about that game. I hope it's more like the first, I wanna feel like I'm home again.

I think we need to give Shenmue 3 a chance to be it's own game. So much time has passed and Suzuki would be keen to try new things he's been thinking about. I'm sure we'll see things we are familiar with however, there will not be a place like Yokosuka again in Shenmue 3 as Suzuki has already mentioned. I don't even know if Ryo will ever get back to Japan given the 11 chapter card reveal at GDC 2014.

I've always hoped for a nice free roam mode when the saga is all complete. Going back and seeing everyone you've met would be amazing. Not sure how the free roam would work for the all the other areas that Ryo has visited and will end up visiting though, maybe just an extra chapter back in Japan to see everyones reaction at Ryo returning, and possibly meeting back up with Nozomi if they brought her back from Canada because she knew Ryo was coming back home :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:09 am

It's simple.

Shenmue 1 is supposed to feel like home. Safe and secure.

Shenmue 2 is supposed to feel like you are going out into a new world you do not understand. This sets up the story itself.

Shenmue 3 will be about visiting a world that makes you feel internally about yourself.

I don't understand why people till this day can not understand that concept.

The feeling of the games directly relates to the story that is going on...

shengoro86 has received 4 thanks from: Esppiral, Himuro, Mr357, RenDur89
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Shibiryo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:20 am

It's all about preference.

Without a doubt, Shenmue 2 improved magnificantly on Shenmue 1. Graphically, storywise and well, action.

This is set out between only a year and it sure picked up what Dreamcast could provide for one single, entire game.

Shenmue 3 is going to play out like a blast, every minute video games are always improving and so what we have now is different to what was available when there was Shenmue 2 Dreamcast being released so Shenmue 3 despite its budget will be better okay, yes, I'm trying to tell the future here.

Shenmue 1 is different alltogether and the things you can do are set out in a different way because the time goes faster, just more atmospheric, am I right? But one thing for sure is music. Overall, no flaws are present, it delivers great music throughout. Although a remix, this I cried to. A Shenmue 1 track:
phpBB [video]

Shenmue 2 has got some things better than 1 but at the cost of removing some things that made the first game great.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:51 pm

shengoro86 wrote: It's simple.

Shenmue 2 is supposed to feel like you are going out into a new world you do not understand. This sets up the story itself.

Shenmue 3 will be about visiting a world that makes you feel internally about yourself.

As far as I disagree with them, I can understand them.
If you play Shenmue 2 straight after Shenmue 1, you will see that the game has something wrong. It's hard to explain but it's not like this change was purposed by AM2, the story set up is more a coincidence. Shenmue 2 has lost this kind of authenticity, the care of details, the feeling of depth that you could imagine to find back in this game before playing it despite the background change.

In other words, Shenmue I & II are like movies directed by two different guys.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby joka » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:01 pm

shengoro86 wrote:It's simple.

I disagree- I think Shenmue 1/Chapter 1 is actually the exact opposite of feeling safe and secure.
Having your father murdered at your own home and becoming an orphan would completely remove that sense of security.

It's more about loss of innocence in my opinion.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Shibiryo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:18 pm

I disagree, Shenmue 3 is like visiting a place you do not understand too. It's pretty much identical to 2 but good points.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Shibiryo wrote:

I disagree, Shenmue 3 is like visiting a place you do not understand too. It's pretty much identical to 2 but good points.

Um no, I'm pretty positive 3 will be about healing, and realizing there's more important things then revenge, as well as realizing the beauty China has to offer.

We saw the start of this with the whole Guilin area in Shenmue 2, in 3 it will go even deeper. Ren kind of really needs to die(which will most likely happen at the end of Shenmue 3, and indirectly a result of Ryo's single mindedness), and that will make Ryo realize how foolish he has been.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Just wait until the first footages from S3 come out ;)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:09 pm

shengoro86 wrote: Just wait until the first footages from S3 come out ;)

Yea, shouldn't be long before we get the first actual game footage(especially going by Yu's crazy release schedule expectations, I really wish he wasn't so adamant about a 2017 release, but hey, that's for a different topic), can't wait to see such :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:39 pm

If anything 3 is likely about rebirth and finding a reason to live besides revenge. It even stars a girl who is the manifestation of a Phoenix.

1 - depression/loss of innocence/isolation. This is reflected in the snowy setting, the fact that Ryo is now changed and no longer spends time with his friends, Ryo drops out of school and goes against everything his loved ones tell him to do.

2 - anger and chaos. Ryo is impractical, impatient, disrespectful, and angry. The chaotic setting of HK and Kowloon (losing your bag, street fights, yellowhead, Xiuying trying to teach Ryo to keep his calm and reflect on things amid a chaotic mind) all reinforce this.

3 - rejuvenation and rebirth, especially in terms of natural spirit. I predict Ryo is likely to abandon his revenge, or maybe at least consider abandoning it, which he hasn't done before this. The setting of the more naturalistic and urban Guilin shows this. We got a peek of this in 2 with Ryo doing tai chi, being more comfortable wit speaking to people - especially Shenhua.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Gen » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:19 pm

I have to say I agree with previous posts about the games being part of one complete experience so I can't really say which one is better.

I for one loved Hongkong. As far as the environments and the actual design of the city I think it was an incredible artistic achievement. And I wouldn't say it was less atmospheric than Yokosuka, just a different kind of atmosphere. Every area had its distinct look, music and atmosphere, from the worn down and slum-like South Carmain Qr to the luxury shops of Golden Qr and my favorite area, Wise men's Qr with the Scarlett hills and the beautiful temple gardens. Hongkong was probably the location in the series with the most variety.

Though I will say that there's something special about the eery and haunting ambient tracks from S1 (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlm_WY ... ED&index=9)
that I missed in S2. There were certainly places in Hongkong and Kowloon where similair music could have been used.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Gen wrote:Though I will say that there's something special about the eery and haunting ambient tracks from S1 (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlm_WY ... ED&index=9)
that I missed in S2. There were certainly places in Hongkong and Kowloon where similair music could have been used.

To be fair, that music isn't common even in 1, and is only used in the bad ending, no?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Gen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:53 am

Himuro wrote:
Gen wrote:Though I will say that there's something special about the eery and haunting ambient tracks from S1 (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlm_WY ... ED&index=9)

To be fair, that music isn't common even in 1, and is only used in the bad ending, no?

It's one of the night tracks in the harbour.
Gen

Postby fittersau » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:42 am

James Brown wrote:
fittersau wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Shenmue II just doesn't have the charm the first game has. While it is still a great game, I much prefer the first to the sequel. It'll be interesting to see what they do with 3. I really can't wait to hear more about that game. I hope it's more like the first, I wanna feel like I'm home again.

I think we need to give Shenmue 3 a chance to be it's own game. So much time has passed and Suzuki would be keen to try new things he's been thinking about. I'm sure we'll see things we are familiar with however, there will not be a place like Yokosuka again in Shenmue 3 as Suzuki has already mentioned. I don't even know if Ryo will ever get back to Japan given the 11 chapter card reveal at GDC 2014.

I've always hoped for a nice free roam mode when the saga is all complete. Going back and seeing everyone you've met would be amazing. Not sure how the free roam would work for the all the other areas that Ryo has visited and will end up visiting though, maybe just an extra chapter back in Japan to see everyones reaction at Ryo returning, and possibly meeting back up with Nozomi if they brought her back from Canada because she knew Ryo was coming back home :)

I know that'd be great. Going back to see the friends you've made over your journey. Thanking them for their assistance and support. Would be a nice way to provide closure.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:32 am

Himuro wrote:

That's one of the problem of Shenmue, many fantastic tracks are underused with Wharehouse n°8 and the QTE barber to begin. It's almost an insult to the composers.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue