Why is Shenmue 1 so different to the sequel?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Why is Shenmue 1 so different to the sequel?

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Gen wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Gen wrote:Though I will say that there's something special about the eery and haunting ambient tracks from S1 (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlm_WY ... ED&index=9)
that I missed in S2. There were certainly places in Hongkong and Kowloon where similair music could have been used.

To be fair, that music isn't common even in 1, and is only used in the bad ending, no?

It's one of the night tracks in the harbour.

Right. But it shows up like only once.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:39 pm

I always thought of SI as a detective/semi noir story and SII as a HK kung fu movie.

I like the style of SI quite a bit more.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:41 pm

I have no idea why people try to claim Shenmue 1 music is "better", seriously anyone who thinks that, needs to play Shenmue 2 again, and by all means, the DC version(the XBOX console doesn't handle music too well lmfao, yet people claim that to be the most powerful console that gen).

A New Departure, literally every song in the Guilin area(seriously, everything in this area is a masterpiece), the music on wong's boat, Fangmei's theme, ect, ect, ect, need I go on.

To whoever it was who was trying to state Shenmue 1 had more creepy music(or however they said it), I am convinced you never played Shenmue 2, know why, because like atleast 75% of the music in Kowloon, is as spooky/creepy as can be, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Zoltor has received a thanks from: Himuro
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Shenmue I music is FREE, so it encompasses most of the roaming around and is selected by the state the game is in, so it's more atmospheric and less intrusive, but also relaxing when it has to be.
Shenmue II music is by location, so no matter what you are doing X song is for X place, sometimes not matching the current "feeling" but also jumping around in tone quite a bit.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:46 pm

Technically, Shenmue 2 has a bigger collection of music within it so there's an answer to that.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Shibiryo wrote: Technically, Shenmue 2 has a bigger collection of music within it so there's an answer to that.

Yea, much bigger, think It's something like 620-640(forgot the exact number, but It's somewhere between there) songs, It's insane.

To shredingskin: I'm not too sure what you're talking about, because aside from the day/night different tracks, there are also situational sound tracks that only kick in, based on triggering some kind of event, that overrides the area soundtracks when such is needed, so there's such in Shenmue 2 as well.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Only in certain parts, and you still have to go from area to area a lot, so different tunes all over the place.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Well, I certainly don't think S1 has better music than S2. S2 has some of my favorite tracks from the series. I did however point out a special quality I like with 'FREE 1' and 'FREE 8' in S1. Specifically it's about the use of dissonance with synth pads.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:04 pm

I like Shenmue I's overall soundtrack more but I do so with the caveat that I realize just how hard or impossible it'd be for II to have as good a soundtrack due to the sheer increase of size and scope. At the same time, II has some of the best songs on the series. Morning Fog's Wave, and all of Guilin. I'd say that Guilin is actually on par with I. So it's close. II is a challenge because it's just so much bigger.

I's atmospheric FREE tracks are some of my favorites.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Gen
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:15 pm

Himuro wrote: I like Shenmue I's overall soundtrack more but I do so with the caveat that I realize just how hard or impossible it'd be for II to have as good a soundtrack due to the sheer increase of size and scope. At the same time, II has some of the best songs on the series. Morning Fog's Wave, and all of Guilin. I'd say that Guilin is actually on par with I. So it's close. II is a challenge because it's just so much bigger.

I's atmospheric FREE tracks are some of my favorites.

I have to agree. You simply don't hear tracks like this in Shenmue II (and with good reason).

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:44 pm

I think the soundtracks make for completely different moods. I said before that I is about sadness and isolation and loss of innocence. The music reflects all of this. Listen to Free 15 and tell me you don't know what I'm talking about. Or Nightfall, which gives off a nostalgic feeling of the sun lowering when you're a kid, with the street lights coming on.

Compare to II's more distinctive tracks:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

In II, the music doesn't correspond with Ryo's emotions or the atmosphere as much, but again, I think that's fine and completely understandable because it's such a huge undertaking for the composers to do for such a large game. 1 is much small, so they could afford to do it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:14 pm

I don't see why the FREE system would have been more difficult to apply in the sequel, it's even the otherwise with the day/night cycle.
The reason is clearly artistic for me. In Shenmue II, the local atmosphere logically overtakes the Ryo's moods. Unlike Dobuita, Hong Kong is a multifaceted megalopolis where each neighborhood has his own soul. So if you want to reflect a real homesickness feeling, the Free system would have been less relevant.

And with the Shenmue 3 open world being probably seamless, Shenmue 2 is going to feel even more unique in the future.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I don't see why the FREE system would have been more difficult to apply in the sequel, it's even the otherwise with the day/night cycle.
The reason is clearly artistic for me. In Shenmue II, the local atmosphere logically overtakes the Ryo's moods. Unlike Dobuita, Hong Kong is a multifaceted megalopolis where each neighborhood has his own soul. So if you want to reflect a real homesickness feeling, the Free system would have been less relevant.

And with the Shenmue 3 open world being probably seamless, Shenmue 2 is going to feel even more unique in the future.

Yeah, I never argued that FREE would be harder to implement. My argument is basically the same as yours: with more locations, they wanted to focus more on the feel of each location rather than create a centralized tone like in 1.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shibiryo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:26 am

FREE music needs to make a comeback in Shen 3.

Also, one of you's say that Shenmue 1 had more creepy music that could of been in Kowloon well try competing that harbor track to this, although I say this is more relaxing.
phpBB [video]
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby linda00145 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:30 am

Shibiryo wrote: I'm here to say that the original Shenmue is very unique and of its's own kind, well kind of, we all know this very well but how are they different and why?

Shenmue 1 is without a doubt more environmental and a day-to-day experience. No two Shenmue days are the same with Ryo able to practice in depth the moves he learns whilst also being able to collect many things and pet a kitten and also bizzarly communicating with his girlfreind.

Shenmue 2 makes up for what the original had to offer and thus polishes it in return for limited environments so that Ryo is unable to truly go through that day-to-day experience which always feels different but the more open world hong kong makes up for this, therefore we do not notice much. Not to mention the fact there are more orphanes and women in this game compared to the first. The people are all different and not just moderately rich Japanese people from Shenmue 1.

Shenmue 1 is a different type of game in comparison to two, this is due to the timex timey time thing where the days go faster. Shenmue 1 is like no other whilst the second game ditched that by adding time skip and making days go by slower. Man Shenmue 1 and its environment with full on dialogue wiith every unique NPC is something we may not see again, Shenmue 3 bring it back because Shenmue 1 is so superior to 2 and if you dont think so I fnd that unusual since Shenmue 1 was damn unique. To be fair Shenmue 2 is epic but the gameplay is not as realistic and much of an experience in terms of the nostalgic area and high end NPC dialogue. Of course they're both great however we all have our preference. Funny how both the two games not similar in terms of small things like in game time. Shenmue 1's biggest flaw is not being able to save anywhere though, they had their reasons for that though I guess.

When the night falls in Shenmue 1 I honestly love it, Shenmue 2 however not so much. The 7pm night fall in 2 is not as great, sadly. What are your thoughts about the difference in the two games?

Sorry that the title is quite out of context about what I'm on here but mabye you didin't even get what I said in the first place anyway, heh.

Totally agree with you here. You are totally right about it.
linda00145
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue