It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight...

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 am

I find it extremely shocking at how many people don't know you can fight street thugs pretty much every day in Shenmue 1.

Am I the only one who would wait around for the street thugs to come around, so I can fight them or what?

PS. Btw I'm evidently the only one who knows, in the US version of Shenmue 1, the Shrine does infact get visitors(largely discovered this due to waiting for the thugs to show up late afternoon every day), however Shrine visitors are beyond super rare, so that's understandable(the street thug fighting can be done pretty much every day though, so there's no excuse for that).
Last edited by Zoltor on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 am

What are you talking about ?
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 am

Yokosuka wrote: What are you talking about ?



When It's about dusk, you can find street thugs walking down the road, if you talk to them, you'll get in a fight, and this can be done just about every day too.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 am

I always thought it was just QTE.

The RPG dimension is really much more represented in Shenmue I than the sequel.
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 am

Yokosuka wrote: I always thought it was just QTE.

The RPG dimension is really much more represented in Shenmue I than the sequel.


Nope, It's a actual fight :)
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 am

Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: What are you talking about ?



When It's about dusk, you can find street thugs walking down the road, if you talk to them, you'll get in a fight, and this can be done just about every day too.


Huh? Where?
Himuro
Banned
Banned
 
Joined: May 2006

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Axm » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:55 am

Wut.
Video?
User avatar
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Fukuoka, Japan

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:50 am

Himuro wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: What are you talking about ?



When It's about dusk, you can find street thugs walking down the road, if you talk to them, you'll get in a fight, and this can be done just about every day too.


Huh? Where?



Along the main road at the bottom of the hill leading away from Ryo's house, heading towards the intersection(around the area with the vending machines) to be precise if I recall.

What I use to do, is head to the shrine at like 4:00 and wait, then when the sky starts changing colors, head towards that intersection.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby sand4fish » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:23 am

As always, nothing better than pics/videos or it didn't happen.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Raithos
User avatar
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: November 2013
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:28 am

Zoltor wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: What are you talking about ?



When It's about dusk, you can find street thugs walking down the road, if you talk to them, you'll get in a fight, and this can be done just about every day too.


Huh? Where?



Along the main road at the bottom of the hill leading away from Ryo's house, heading towards the intersection(around the area with the vending machines) to be precise if I recall.

What I use to do, is head to the shrine at like 4:00 and wait, then when the sky starts changing colors, head towards that intersection.

Unless you're referring to the fight with Charlie and his thugs at the construction site on disc one, and you've somehow managed to get caught up in some kind of infinite loop bug, I have certainly never heard of this happening.

On what disc is this taking place, and, furthermore, do you have any proof? Even if you don't have any kind of capture device, could you record some video with your phone and upload it to YouTube?

I'm very intrigued by this :-k
User avatar
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"
 
Joined: January 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Kiske » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:39 am

I'm very intrigued too now...

Reputation's at stake here!
Those, who follow the path of a warrior, must be ready to die, in order to stand for one's convictions, live for one's convictions, die for one's convictions. That is how I lived my life.

Image
User avatar
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster
 
Joined: August 2015
Location: Switzerland
PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:44 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: What are you talking about ?



When It's about dusk, you can find street thugs walking down the road, if you talk to them, you'll get in a fight, and this can be done just about every day too.


Huh? Where?



Along the main road at the bottom of the hill leading away from Ryo's house, heading towards the intersection(around the area with the vending machines) to be precise if I recall.

What I use to do, is head to the shrine at like 4:00 and wait, then when the sky starts changing colors, head towards that intersection.

Unless you're referring to the fight with Charlie and his thugs at the construction site on disc one, and you've somehow managed to get caught up in some kind of infinite loop bug, I have certainly never heard of this happening.

On what disc is this taking place, and, furthermore, do you have any proof? Even if you don't have any kind of capture device, could you record some video with your phone and upload it to YouTube?

I'm very intrigued by this :-k


No I'm not.

Sigh oh boy, I had no idea this was even some kind of secret, I can't believe Yu made this into some secret thing, I must of just found out by chance, looks like I'm going to have to .

I don't remember at what stage of the story I was on, when I decided to stop doing story(likewise in hind sight, I wish I wrote down the days/times I saw the shrine get visitors), to do everything else, which is when I found this.

Due to Shenmue 1, I did end up getting into the habit of talking to NPCs multiple times, so much infact, it became 2nd nature every time I'm playing a Shenmue game, so I don't recall if I had to talk to the thugs like 3-4 times, did you try that?

To sand4fish: Sigh why would I do something like that, involving something I had no idea was some kind of hidden secret?

I wanted to play Shenmue 2(I want to try to do a completionist run of it, never did such for 2 yet, only did one for the 1st game), but looks like I'm going to have to play Shenmue 1, and take pictures of such(might as well try to catch a Shrine visitor while I'm at it too.


Hm so these things really aren't known then, It's not just reviewers over looking such huh, oh boy something tells me now It's going to be a pain, I'm shocked no one else has found this in 16 years, hopefully It's not to hard to refind.

I'll probally get around to the play through at the end of December, so if all goes as planned, I should have pics of both, the shrine visitors, and the fights with the daily street thug encounters.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:02 am

This is the kind of things that hypes me about Shenmue 3. If Suzuki could put secret events or easter eggs like that as much as the previous Shenmue and even better, that would be awesome. I'm excited to play Shenmue I again now lol. I laugh if it's a bug of your Shenmue disc.
User avatar
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist
 
Joined: August 2014
Location: France
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 am

Ok, I don't know anything about this supposed secret fight sequence, but stop acting like visitors to the shrine is some super secret amazing thing. I'm sure most of us know some characters visit the shrine, like Liu-san first thing in the morning, and sometimes the kids in the neighbourhood.
Image
Shenmusings ~My Shenmue Blog~
My thoughts, reflections and trivia on the masterpiece series

Image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qkby011a3tkg ... tabase.rar

Online version (thanks to Giorgio!) https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
User avatar
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: UK
XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:25 am

Miles Prower wrote: Ok, I don't know anything about this supposed secret fight sequence, but stop acting like visitors to the shrine is some super secret amazing thing. I'm sure most of us know some characters visit the shrine, like Liu-san first thing in the morning, and sometimes the kids in the neighbourhood.



Well there's an entire thread on these forums devoted to discussing such(think it was about some mod, designed to add more shrine visitors to reflect the Japanese version), and how the shrine in the NA release supposedly doesn't get visitors, so blame people on this site about such. However in any case, visitors to the shrine are unusually rare, and It's not based on a daily routine thing either(nor does the weather system play a factor), It's some weird mechanic, based on a specific day/other variables.

I never saw any kids visit(unless you're counting Megomi as a visitor for some reason, although I vaguely recall catching another kid there once, while Megomi was around, but he was there to check on the cat). The people I caught were two adults, one while it was raining out, another when it wasn't.

To Yokosuka: Yea I completely agree, I hope Yu adds a bunch of Easter Eggs in Shenmue 3..., that we'll probally discover in 14-16 more years lol, because omg Yu is godly when it comes to hiding these things.

It baffles me how anyone ever discovered the Fangmei's birthday+the secret scenes with her, was that in the strategy guide or something(I never used a walkthrough or anything of the sort, for either of the Shenmue games.

Well looks like I have a lot of work to do(either I got very lucky stumbling on to the daily fighting with the thugs or I did something that seems to be obvious, but no one else did, because they overlooked such/were busy doing other things, so missed out on such) :)
Last edited by Zoltor on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss
 
Joined: August 2015

Next

Return to Shenmue

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000-
ShenmueDojo.net