It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: It's shocking how many people don't know you can fight..

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:03 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote: Out of curiosity, Zoltor, do you recognise any of the thugs? Are they Mad Angels? Sailors? Enoki's crew?

Can you recall on which disc this occurs also?

The disc I'm not 100% sure, but it definitely wasn't early, I started doing this either at the very end of disc 1 or more then likely on disc 2(the Stealth mission to sneak into the wharehouse freaked me into not doing story for awhile, until I do all the extra stuff I wanted to do, in fear that if I keep doing story, I may end up actually beating the game, so there's a pretty high chance, it was during that time)

I don't recall what they look like exactly, but they stand out like a sore thumb, they show up as a pair of two guys walking down the street(more or less side by side). I don't know if they're Mad Angels or not, but clothing, and build wise, they look very much the part of what passes off as Sailors in Shenmue 1

Hmm, that's interesting. So, there's a cutscene and everything before the fight initiates? Please spill the beans on everything you can remember about the encounter :)

No nothing like that, you just talk to them like you would any NPCs, but evidently they were just looking for a reason to fight, so you just talking to them is more then enough reason to pick a fight with you.

I don't think I triggered the 2 school girls fight scene in that playthrough, I could be wrong, but I remember constantly talking to them at various point in the game, in hopes of getting the fight scene, but I don't recall me ever succeeding in that playthrough in unlocking such, so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe not, just putting that out there.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby YUmakemygame » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Don't worry Zoltor, my faith in humanity will make me go and try this out. If it doesn't happen for me, I'm not going to beat you up and take your shoes. I've had moments when I just dally around Dobuita staring at fabric textures. They captured the golden braid stitches on Lan Di's changshan perfectly, and my that Mandarin collar fits him so smug! And the subtle sheen of brocade, the bell sleeves with contrast hem, ooooh and those Hong Kong seams! Sigh. So beautifully authentic, well-researched, and expertly rendered.

...No one would give a horse apple about these things. :-({|=

I've had tons of things I wanted to share but for fear of backlash I said screw it, I'll just keep this to myself! So thank you for sharing this with us regardless, it would be neat to experience it. I say enjoy those fights little buddy. We have plenty of secrets in S3 coming up, there's no reason why we should all get excited. Atleast you didn't make some post about Shenmue 4 coming out or something. That would have really did you in.
YUmakemygame
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:27 am

sand4fish wrote:

After all, if I started telling everyone that I know a way Ryo could fight Lan Di inside the Dojo just before the bad ending kicks in, without providing even a single screenshot, would you just take it at face value?

Lol I can do this with mods :)

Also I'll be testing this street fight tonight and I'll take some footage.

YO Bluemue! I summon you bro. Want to do this together?
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby sand4fish » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:28 pm

shengoro86 wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

After all, if I started telling everyone that I know a way Ryo could fight Lan Di inside the Dojo just before the bad ending kicks in, without providing even a single screenshot, would you just take it at face value?

Lol I can do this with mods :)

Also I'll be testing this street fight tonight and I'll take some footage.

YO Bluemue! I summon you bro. Want to do this together?

That's cheating... but still cool you can do that! Can you make Ryo use the Hazuki sword in battle as well, just like his father? =)

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Superrayman3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm gonna look through the voice files and see if I can find anything matching what's been described about this, if what Zoltor says is true there'll more likely than not be accompanying voice clips for it and if said voice clips were to be found and Zoltar recognizes them from this event we might be able to use that to pinpoint the disc it's on which would narrow down options.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Zoltor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Superrayman3 wrote: I'm gonna look through the voice files and see if I can find anything matching what's been described about this, if what Zoltor says is true there'll more likely than not be accompanying voice clips for it and if said voice clips were to be found and Zoltar recognizes them from this event we might be able to use that to pinpoint the disc it's on which would narrow down options.

Sadly I don't remember what they said(and well frankly didn't care what they said, as I was just wanting to beat them up), but yea I'm sure they said something.

I'm going to be doing a full run(if not multiple runs, if I need to test triggering other events, and testing out certain parts of the story) in January.

I don't think it should be too hard to replicate, It's got to be something stupid, like gameplay length, talking to those gangsta biatches a lot, my tendency to triple talk to NPCs, ect something dumb like that.

Boy I'm glad Shenmue 1 Isn't as huge as Shenmue 2 lol.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Superrayman3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Superrayman3 wrote: I'm gonna look through the voice files and see if I can find anything matching what's been described about this, if what Zoltor says is true there'll more likely than not be accompanying voice clips for it and if said voice clips were to be found and Zoltar recognizes them from this event we might be able to use that to pinpoint the disc it's on which would narrow down options.

Sadly I don't remember what they said(and well frankly didn't care what they said, as I was just wanting to beat them up), but yea I'm sure they said something.

I'm going to be doing a full run(if not multiple runs, if I need to test triggering other events, and testing out certain parts of the story) in January.

I don't think it should be too hard to replicate, It's got to be something stupid, like gameplay length, talking to those gangsta biatches a lot, my tendency to triple talk to NPCs, ect something dumb like that.

If that's the case then i'm not gonna waste my time, good luck in your search though (who knows maybe you can prove the skeptics wrong for once but as others have pointed out before Shenmue I&II have basically been explored with a fine tooth comb inside and out although I do think it's possible since no one figured out how to activate the Running out of time in Guilin event until this year and people actually knew about that one so something similar could happen in this case)
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby Zoltor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Superrayman3 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

If that's the case then i'm not gonna waste my time, good luck in your search though (who knows maybe you can prove the skeptics wrong for once but as others have pointed out before Shenmue I&II have basically been explored with a fine tooth comb inside and out although I do think it's possible since no one figured out how to activate the Running out of time in Guilin event until this year and people actually knew about that one so something similar could happen in this case)

I remember enough about that run, to know a good amount of places to start, and I've beta tested games before, plus am well versed in game design in general, so I'm pretty hopeful.

Lol yea I was shocked when I found that out, and it required something so simple to.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Calshot » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:48 am

It's been years since I last played Shenmue, and even longer since the playthrough in question, but I think I remember something similar happening to me.

I think it happened on Dobuita street. You get into a FREE battle with a wandering NPC if you talk to them repeatedly. Before someone mentions it, I'm sure it wasn't the drunk QTE that you get late at night near the bars. I don't think it was Enoki and the thugs either.

However, it was years ago and the human memory is notoriously unreliable. Just saying that Zoltor may not be talking out of his ass.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby shredingskin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:53 am

That would be fucking cool.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Taren Fox
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby johnvivant » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 am

gameplay myth creation is so 2003.

willing to eat several hats if anyone finds this.

@shengoro - agree, great idea for a mod though.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 am

Zoltor wrote:

January looks so far away right now.

I'm actually replaying Shenmue on NullDC, taking it slowly and litteraly savouring each moment of the adventure. That's the first time in years I'm back to the original game. Surprisingly, it hasn't aged badly at all! Even the controls don't feel stiff to me. Anyway, I'll try to trigger the thugs event you refer too.

On another note, I almost shed a tear the first time I've been back to Yu Arcade. It's probably some nostalgia effect, but the music, the Hang-On sound and the familiar characters in there gaved me goose bumps.
After almost 15 years I was back home :heart:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:14 am

johnvivant wrote: gameplay myth creation is so 2003.

willing to eat several hats if anyone finds this.

@shengoro - agree, great idea for a mod though.

What happened this year ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 am

Kiske wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

January looks so far away right now.

I'm actually replaying Shenmue on NullDC, taking it slowly and litteraly savouring each moment of the adventure. That's the first time in years I'm back to the original game. Surprisingly, it hasn't aged badly at all! Even the controls don't feel stiff to me. Anyway, I'll try to trigger the thugs event you refer too.

On another note, I almost shed a tear the first time I've been back to Yu Arcade. It's probably some nostalgia effect, but the music, the Hang-On sound and the familiar characters in there gaved me goose bumps.
After almost 15 years I was back home :heart:

Sigh you're telling me, I've been wanting to replay the Shenmue games before the Shenmue 3 announcement at E3, but can't, because my TV dies. Then the impossible happen with bloody Shenmue 3 of all things getting announced at E3, and now I find out that one of my favorite pass times, is supposedly a secret that hasn't been officially documented for one of the most famous, ground breaking games ever made, that is now 16 years old.

Believe me, I'm dying right now, not being able to play.

To Calshot: While I personally haven't had any luck getting into such a fight in Dobuita, I always believed it was possible(I remember after triggering it, and doing so multiple times in the one area, zoning to try to do it in Dobuita on a new day, and never had luck with getting into a fight there.

However knowing when, and where I can get in a fight in the other area, I didn't search as thoroughly as I could've, instead I just went back to where I already found I can get into fights. Although It's very nice to hear someone claim to beable to get in a fight there from a wandering NPC.

I had someone else back up my claim in the past as well(although didn't mention the area they fought such in), so it seems some people have stumbled onto such before, but just like me, never had any idea it was suppose to be some kind of secret.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:05 am

Is there no way of diving into the game's code in search of instances of Free Battle, and narrowing it down from there?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue