How many times have you completed Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

How many times have you completed Shenmue?

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:21 pm

While Shenmue mightn't be the game I've completed the most in my life - that honour goes to Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars, and The Binding of Isaac (if the latter can be counted) - it's definitely up there in the top percent, something that is quite rare for me. I haven't played it for a number of years now, but between 2000 and, say, 2006, I must have gone through the game at least 25-30 times with the most completions taking place in the first year or so. Shenmue was basically my entire life back then :P

So, how many times have you completed Shenmue?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: How many times have you completed Shenmue?

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Once, when I got the game in 2006 and 7 times since 2009, so 8.

I do the annual playthrough of all 3, every year.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Mr357 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:41 pm

5 times for Shenmue, 3 times for Shenmue II.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 am

Shenmue I: 3 times.
Shenmue II: 2 times.
Shenmue III: 0 times.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:06 am

Somewhere around 30 to 40 times for each game. And when it comes to playing parts of it to get somewhere in the story for videos and such it's well in the 100's.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:45 am

Oh gawwwd now you're asking. Easily past the 10 times mark for each. I always play them annually, usually closer to December, but I do throw in the odd playthrough during the year when I need that Shenmue fix.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Well, I've played at least once through 1 & 2 every Christmas holiday for the last 15 years, and then more than once each at different times throughout the year. Indeterminate. A lot. Generally, it's a social thing. I don't usually play alone, but with friends taking turns while talking about retro gaming.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Thief » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:26 pm

I've played the first game twice -- once with myself and once with a friend. The second game I've only played once. I think I'll play it one more time (with my friend), but then probably never again. As I've gotten older, I've learned to value things the way I remember them, rather than constantly re-experiencing them. Playing through Shenmue the first time was almost a religious experience for me, and I'd prefer to remember it how it was back then.

Thief has received a thanks from: KiBa
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiBa » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 pm

I respect that feeling, Thief. I've only played the Guilin chapter twice through myself for the same reason. It was a very spiritual experience the first time I played it. I can't be described, except to say that it really did change my outlook on life, like all good stories.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:26 am

Thief wrote: I've played the first game twice -- once with myself and once with a friend. The second game I've only played once. I think I'll play it one more time (with my friend), but then probably never again. As I've gotten older, I've learned to value things the way I remember them, rather than constantly re-experiencing them. Playing through Shenmue the first time was almost a religious experience for me, and I'd prefer to remember it how it was back then.

That's a very interesting outlook, Thief. I guess there are two schools of people who have pieces of media (games, in particular, which do many things no other media can) that they treat in a certain way: those who love to revisit time and time again, and those who wish to keep the memory as sacred as possible. I haven't played Shenmue in quite some time, but I was definitely part of the former back when I was active with it.

Shenmue was like a Second Life or World of Warcraft for me back then, though not to the extremes many take with the latter two.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:18 pm

what's shenmue: 1
shenmue 1: 5 or 6 times
shenmue 2: between 7 and 9 times I think
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby alexh86 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:28 am

I'd never played either game until 2012 so I'm a relative newcomer. Shenmue/II instantly became my all-time favorite game and I've been a rabid fan ever since.

I've beaten Shenmue three times and Shenmue II twice (both times on Dreamcast even though I also have the Xbox version). I will play through both on Dreamcast carrying over a save one last time at some point before Shenmue III comes out. I will probably also play through the Xbox version just to hear it in English for the first time and see if the VO is any better than the first game.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:24 pm

alexh86 wrote:I will probably also play through the Xbox version just to hear it in English for the first time and see if the VO is any better than the first game.

I wouldn't hold your breath, dude ;-)

phpBB [video]
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:40 am

ShenGCH wrote:
alexh86 wrote:I will probably also play through the Xbox version just to hear it in English for the first time and see if the VO is any better than the first game.

phpBB [video]

I still cant believe they have Ryo and Wangs Brother pronounced ''Yokosuka'' differently when everyone in Shenmue 1 pronounced it one way.....
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:04 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

phpBB [video]

I still cant believe they have Ryo and Wangs Brother pronounced ''Yokosuka'' differently when everyone in Shenmue 1 pronounced it one way.....

Shenmue's voice acting is an enigma, for sure.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue