SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD happen

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat May 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Esppiral wrote:With all the resolution debate madness lately and the 4k debate....

PS4 neither Xbox One shouldn't struggle to run a direct port of Shenmue I & II at 4k, Sega should tweak some world and hud textures and make it widescreen, do a direct port, advertise it as first 4k console game ever.

Profit.

Honestly, I'd rather go for 1080p 60fps with more focus on the latest effects, like anti-aliasing and motion-blur which may take a cpu hit but will help to offer us a new Shenmue that runs more stable and looks better and more responsive in motion.

Those things may be too demanding if the game was running at 4K pixels. By all means SEGA, if you want to do that as a feature to help advertise, go ahead.

What will interest me more is which version of Shenmue 2 Sega will choose to port, the Xbox OG or dreamcast, since the community seems to be split on this one. Some like the original Xbox's textures, extra features, optimisations and VO, while some despise these + bloom effects. Some of the tracks are also different between games (eg Fangmei, Ziming discussion).

Is it safe to assume the Xbox original is easier to port because of its x86 based architecture? Or is the dreamcast comparatively effortless as well?

This all somewhat reminds me of the Fable 1 anniversary port where they had to switch engine...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenGCH » Sat May 14, 2016 10:57 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:
Esppiral wrote:With all the resolution debate madness lately and the 4k debate....

PS4 neither Xbox One shouldn't struggle to run a direct port of Shenmue I & II at 4k, Sega should tweak some world and hud textures and make it widescreen, do a direct port, advertise it as first 4k console game ever.

Profit.

Honestly, I'd rather go for 1080p 60fps with more focus on the latest effects, like anti-aliasing and motion-blur which may take a cpu hit but will help to offer us a new Shenmue that runs more stable and looks better and more responsive in motion.

Those things may be too demanding if the game was running at 4K pixels. By all means SEGA, if you want to do that as a feature to help advertise, go ahead.

Call me cynical, but I think Sony would get laughed out of the room if one of their flagship titles for PS4 Neo (or whatever it ends up being called) turned out to be a 4K remaster of Shenmue. A remake with all the bells and whistles you could possibly imagine - fine - but a port of an almost seventeen year-old game with nicer graphics? Bad move, in my opinion.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat May 14, 2016 11:11 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:

Profit.

Call me cynical, but I think Sony would get laughed out of the room if one of their flagship titles for PS4 Neo (or whatever it ends up being called) turned out to be a 4K remaster of Shenmue. A remake with all the bells and whistles you could possibly imagine - fine - but a port of an almost seventeen year-old game with nicer graphics? Bad move, in my opinion.

I'm just talking about the whole board of current gen consoles that are out and PC (except WiiU, maybe NX?) which currently have no games running at that resolution. I don't know what to think of the NEO (until it's unveiled) should be a good thing for Shenmue 3 regardless, hopefully devs will get use to dev/opt for 2 types of platforms, as I know some have shared their disdain for it...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby fittersau » Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 am

Esppiral wrote: With all the resolution debate madness lately and the 4k debate....

Profit.

A bit of a double edged sword I'm afraid. While the poly count compared to new titles is very low and doable for Shenmue 1 & 2. It would be a very cautious marketing team to praise the port as 4K when it wouldn't look what people expect 4K to look like. A 1080p port with some updated textures would be a safer bet.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gromber » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Gromber has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Mr357
Gromber
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Giorgio » Tue May 17, 2016 6:14 am

Mr357 wrote:
Giorgio wrote:
Let's make a list of brands in Shenmue 1 & 2:
  • Case Logic (I don't remember / am not sure right know where this is used, but it's in my notes. Maybe the brand of Ryo's bag?)
  • Coca-Cola (vending machines)
  • Hitachi (cassette player in Ren's Hideout, only in Shenmue II)
  • Mitsui Sumitomo Bank (bank passbook [related video], only in Shenmue I)
  • Sapporo (vending machines, only in Shenmue II)
  • Timex (watches, both in Ryo's hand and in his room, at least)
  • Zippo (lighters, only in Shenmue II)

What else?

I've heard that (especially in Japan) you need permission to advertise/feature a brand in your works. From SEGA's words, that Shenmue is totally immersive and need to retain that real world lifelike feeling (by featuring these real world brands), it's an issue to get the permission to do so.

However (if that's the case), how much of an issue it is? Which are the complexities? How much time it is needed? Personally, I don't believe it's a Gordian knot!

Yes, his bag has the Case Logic branding on it, although I'm not sure where.

Just spotted this, too:
Imagehttps://twitter.com/DCCOMP/status/732168035407028225

Giorgio has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Monkei » Tue May 17, 2016 9:41 am

By the way, isn't SEGA officially stating their interest in releasing Shenmue HD Shenmue Dojo frontpage worthy news? :-o
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Fri May 20, 2016 11:11 pm

My hopemeter is closing to zero. It's like Sega is waiting the Shenmue 3 release to finally act. But we need the remaster before 2018 and there is one year remaining...
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Sat May 21, 2016 1:48 am

^ Do we really need it before SIII releases? I'm not sure how well the two games have aged and if they'd really do a good job at pulling new fans in. Negative reviews for clunky controls and bad voice acting could have a bad effect..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sat May 21, 2016 6:09 am

Poor controls and bad voice acting are a 90's/early 00's thing. It would be like blaming Citizen Kane to be filmed in black and white. Quite easy to psychologically accept. (Although both of us know that Shenmue should have delivered better on these plans even with 2000 standards but shh...)

I would be more afraid about the lack of fun content outside the main quest. Importing the time skipping function in Shenmue 1 from Shenmue II is a necessity but hard to do more.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Sonoshee » Sun May 22, 2016 12:05 am

Monkei wrote: By the way, isn't SEGA officially stating their interest in releasing Shenmue HD Shenmue Dojo frontpage worthy news? :-o

Technically it already is :)

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=50017

Sega's response was posted in that news page topic.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sun May 22, 2016 2:39 am

SEGA your fans would very much appreciate this!
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby drunkensailor » Sun May 22, 2016 8:04 am

I fear a hd release would bomb, based on the terrible voice acting alone. it could work if they add japanese voices and english subtitles

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby GYO6161 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:02 pm

drunkensailor wrote: I fear a hd release would bomb, based on the terrible voice acting alone. it could work if they add japanese voices and english subtitles

tbh we kind of are in a tough situation when it comes to the voice acting, the English dialogue would be too poor nowadays but a sub only release would only cather to a super niche audience.....
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Sun May 22, 2016 2:52 pm

drunkensailor wrote: I fear a hd release would bomb, based on the terrible voice acting alone. it could work if they add japanese voices and english subtitles

I don't think it would bomb at all in terms of sales, but reviews are an iffy, though wholly irrelevant, subject when it comes to remasters because there's always going to be the complaint that the respective game doesn't hold up to today's standards. Well, no shit! Plus, the gaming press are divided on Shenmue; some consider it to be a masterpiece, while others - the much more vocal crowd - will take any and every opportunity to shit all over it they can simply because they can.

Veterans of the series won't give a damn about the quality of the voice acting because we know what we're in for, while newcomers to the series would have to appreciate the fact the game came out at a time when performance and acting in video games was on the lower rungs of priority, and accept the game for what it is.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue