Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

Postby Kiske » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 am

Now that the ER is behind us, do you think it did harm Shenmue or should we consider that any publicity is good publicity? (In the #SaveShenmueHD context)

Personally, to this ER credits, it somehow shows the state of actual gaming and average gamers in terms of "hand holding".
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:12 pm

I definitely think it did some harm because of the way they portrayed the game. But this ER didn't seem to have that high of a viewership (averaging around 10k per episode), hopefully most of those who were interested in Shenmue can experience it in a proper way.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:22 pm

This ER will probably reach the top result list for the Shenmue video searches, like the recent Digital Foundry's tribute which is the most viewed DF Retro video at the moment.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:19 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Mr357 wrote: Maybe Shenmue I was made less user-friendly on purpose to weed out the unworthy. :-k

Nahhhh. There are issues, and Shenmue II wouldn't have fixed them if they were intentional. Still, I wonder if modern games have made people lazy on the experimentation and exploration front.

not at all. back then there was a lot more criticism on shenmue 1 than today and the game got hammered by tons of reviews.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby sand4fish » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:48 am

drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Mr357 wrote: Maybe Shenmue I was made less user-friendly on purpose to weed out the unworthy. :-k

Nahhhh. There are issues, and Shenmue II wouldn't have fixed them if they were intentional. Still, I wonder if modern games have made people lazy on the experimentation and exploration front.

not at all. back then there was a lot more criticism on shenmue 1 than today and the game got hammered by tons of reviews.

That's not how I remember it. I clearly recall Shenmue 1 getting perfect scores from the likes of IGN and DC magazine at the time.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Wolfgame » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 pm

I couldn't bring myself to watch the Shenmue Endurance Run past the first couple of episodes, it became quickly clear that they had 0 interest in absorbing themselves in any element of the game. This is coming from someone who has watched their Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition Endurance Run more than once because I felt they found a balance of participating in the game, learning mechanics, and providing enjoyable commentary that enhanced the experience of the game. Pretty much every piece of content on Giant Bomb now is an extension of unprofessional fridays usually resulting in a disinterested level of participation in everything they do, it's a shame.
Wolfgame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Previous

Return to Shenmue