Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Giant Bomb: Shenmue Endurance Run (Ongoing)

Postby Gavan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:24 am

Yokosuka wrote: Trollism at its peak today but can't blame Vinny on that. Time skipping is a must for the eventual remaster. I didn't remember that the ticket part would take so much time.

Meh I don't know. They aren't even trying to do other stuff to kill time. That Vinny guy just went into this with his mind made up that the game sucks and he isn't really giving it his full attention. Not sure if I will keep watching this.

Gavan has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, SickOctopus
Gavan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Kiske wrote: I have a doubt about the fortune teller the GB guys visited during episode 15.

https://youtu.be/lN35QYgFIgk?t=20m6s

How come she didn't give Ryo any clue on gambling? Is it because they actually never played the Slot Machines?

She doesn't give a gamble clue every time you visit.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby IrishNinja » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:27 pm

Verderame wrote: Jesus, that GAF thread... sometimes it just becames a troll shitposting cesspool :lol: all these "ahaha da game is shit!! u mad bro!!!" posts :lol:

yeah, there's some salt from the same folks who kept at the "LET IT GO.GIF" shit every shenmue thread before last year's magical e3, i went into that thread & quickly back out...honestly with Jeff's hatred of the series alone, i didn't think this would be for me at all
IrishNinja
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: TheIrishNinja
XBL: The NZA 2099
Nintendo FC: IrishNinja
Steam: The NZA
Currently playing: Guardian Heroes

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:32 pm

All the people judging the game from this Endurance Run are making me lose my mind... With a game like Shenmue, you can't appreciate the experience while there are 3 people laughing loudly and constantly talking over cutscenes about pointless real life tangents... I mean, immersion is basically Shenmue's strongest point, and all this chatter and snark completely obliterates it.

It's like watching a playthrough of Silent Hill 2 with Fast Forward Benny Hill playing in the background... It just makes everything trite and trivial.

Of course them being utterly incompetent at the game doesn't help, but that's not the main problem.

Rikitatsu has received 5 thanks from: Axm, FlagshipFighter, Gavan, Kiske, SickOctopus
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ys » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I really have to wonder if I was a child genius if some of the things being picked on in the GAF thread are really that hard to understand. :lol:

I don't get it either. When Ryo says that he needs to buy a ticket first, I always understood that he needs to prioritize the trip before wasting money. It's easy to understand from the context but they're not really paying attention and want to nitpick as much as possible trying to be funny.

Some of the exaggerating on GAF is funny though. You can sense that some feel badass when writing shit about the game :lol: They don't have to like it but some of the criticism is just absurd. Then they make fun of those defending the game. Sure, but when some wondered how the GB guys (who they like) still didn't get basic things they got upset themselves.

Rikitatsu wrote:It's like watching a playthrough of Silent Hill 2 with Fast Forward Benny Hill playing in the background... It just makes everything trite and trivial.

Of course them being utterly incompetent at the game doesn't help, but that's not the main problem.

Exactly, you can ridicule anything that way. It's common online though since it's "edgy", easier to get some laughs and/or clicks due to controversy.

About incompetent, well, I don't know. Not always trying the action button while zoomed in is maybe odd but the game is F.R.E.E after all and allows many playing styles ;) I personally never had these issues. The GB run seems to be slower with more issues compared to others though. I saw another newcomer who figured out zooming and inspecting within the first few minutes. He also figured out how to feed the cat immediately, got optional cutscenes and fights etc. A bit weird in comparison.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Misses all QTE, terrible fight skills. The 3th CD is promised to be a real pain. How can you be so bad with so much gaming experience?

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BlueMue » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Yokosuka wrote:How can you be so bad with so much gaming experience?

Can only be on purpose.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Verderame » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:32 pm

BlueMue wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:How can you be so bad with so much gaming experience?

Can only be on purpose.

Again, i can't blame them too much about that, they're trying to be entertaining while playing a game that (honestly) isn't entertaining at all to watch.
Verderame

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Himuro » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:35 pm

I think they miss qte's on purpose.

And let's be honest, criticizing them on fight skills? Who was good at fighting in Shenmue on the first run? Pretty much all of us didn't beat Chai the first time.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm

I thought Vinny did okay on Chai, even if he wasn't using the dodge button at all. The QTEs though, I got no idea how he whiffed on that many. They aren't that hard at all.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:54 pm

I didn't criticize his defeat but he always tried the same move by smashing the same button. Gosh, may YSNet do not come across a video like that. They could think Vinny is a standard player.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I didn't criticize his defeat but he always tried the same move by smashing the same button. Gosh, may YSNet do not come across a video like that. They could think Vinny is a standard player.

So er do you think Shenmue 3 will have way points prompts and linear gameplay because of these clowns like GB and Fahunas or whatever their called.

Part 20 was pretty funny I enjoyed watching it, seems like they are finally warming up to the game.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Disc 3 is when the game initially clicked for me. Makes sense.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Very good episode. Vinny finally made sense of the combat system.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 am

I commented on part 20 saying they are actually enjoying it and I got a couple of people commenting that it's "Stockholm Syndrome" and even when I watched the Fuanhus whatever podcast of how much Shenmue sucks, one of the guys recalled his favourite part of the games the forklift job but he called it Stockholm Syndrome.

Wow so when haters actually like or enjoy aspects of the game it's now Stockholm Syndrome? Jesus Christ. If a 15 year old plays GTA and enjoys it and doesn't end up a murdering psychopath I think I'll call it statutory rape.

DoubleO_Ren has received a thanks from: Gavan
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue