Lets Talk Shenmue HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby Tosh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 pm

I guess if we really really want or need Shenmue 1+2 HD in 60 fps 1080p+ with HD textures, new remastered sound files, optimized QTE's, better lighting, HBAO, better anti anliasing, better LOD and optimized controls,
we will probably end up dissappointed.

That process sounds way too complicated, all these changes already sound like a ton of work.
And it would be a pretty huge risk again.
You can't compare this to Yakuza. Yakuza already has 6 main games and 4 spin off games i think,
with pretty solid sale numbers on the target market and some new motivation for the western market.

A Shenmue 1 & 2 remaster needs more work than a Yakuza 1 & 2 Kiwami,
just because of the size of the world and the options that you have in the Shenmue games.

Yakuza has like 1-3 city districts in every game, no voices for the side missions, you can't talk to random npc's,
no realistic day / night cycle and so on. Shenmue's world is built on a different base.

Even if they completely remaster Shenmue 1 and 2, theres no guarantee that it will be worth it.
This could end up in the next financial failure before Shenmue 3 is even released.
There is a chance that Sega might try it, but it would be a lot safer and cheaper
to just sell a version that simply runs in a higher resolution.

If they really do a huge remaster in the Kiwami style or whatever, then i will doubt that we will see
that remaster before the release of Shenmue 3. And that would be a bit weird if we get Shenmue 3 first.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Elevensixty » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm

We sooo need a release though, and soon. Even just a high res version- though a few extras would be awesome (camera feature to unlock bonus material/artwork/story background ala S2x?)

Elevensixty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby Fluffy90 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Tosh your right maybe i should of added to option 3 being highly unlikely,i'm not expecting a full remake to happen but rather something in the vein of a kiwami type remake would be best case scenario.

Sega seem to be able to pump out these yakuza games on the ps4 very quickly ,0,kiwami and 6 are all going to be released in less than two years :o

They have proven that they are able to convert a ps2 game scene by scene to the ps4 so it's not totally out of the realms of possibility they could do so with shenmue,even if they had to alter scenes or elements of shenmue just to get it ported to the ps4 engine i don't think shenmue fans would complain given how fantastic yakuza 6 looks!

But as i said in my previous post Sega do really need to adjust and upgrade some elements of shenmue when porting it,swapping textures out for higher quality ones and improving game audio i don't buy are very hard as even forum members on here have managed to inject the higher res shenmue passport textures to the main game...

I'm not expecting a huge upgrade no but all i will say is that it will be very disappointing if they do NOTHING in the porting process
Fluffy90
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Haroon90
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Telekill » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:27 am

I'm still hoping for a Shenmue HD Collection. The sad part is that I'm not expecting it anymore. Sega's window of opportunity is quickly closing and I just don't think they are smart enough to make the move.

If they get off their ass and actually announce it, I don't expect more than the bare minimums...
- PS4/X1/PC release (digital only)
- Widescreen 1080p @ 30fps on both console and PC
- Use of second analog stick for camera use
- Trophies/Achievements given that they are mandatory by Sony and Microsoft

I don't see them going above that. It's bare minimum with little investment and the most return.

As for an announcement at this year's PSX... one can only hope. I'm not holding my breath.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby RyanHazuki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 am

That would be so cool if they released the HD collection and unlocked the crouch feature we saw on "What's Shenmue?" and the bicycle riding option that was taken out of the final game. The possibilities are fun to think about.
RyanHazuki

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am

From what I remember they no longer have the rights to the original engine used to create the games. If anyone knows what I’m talking about please clarify because I’ve heard this but I can’t remember the specifics or if it’s even true. From what I’ve gathered through the years is that if they remade the game it would have to be from scratch. I guess they have the assets but parts of the engine were owned by third party companies and Sega no longer has the rights to use that.

So if we get anything I think Sega will remake the games from scratch. Unfortunately I’m beginning to think Sega won’t bother because it’s such a huge undertaking.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RyanHazuki » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:50 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: From what I remember they no longer have the rights to the original engine used to create the games. If anyone knows what I’m talking about please clarify because I’ve heard this but I can’t remember the specifics or if it’s even true. From what I’ve gathered through the years is that if they remade the game it would have to be from scratch. I guess they have the assets but parts of the engine were owned by third party companies and Sega no longer has the rights to use that.

So if we get anything I think Sega will remake the games from scratch. Unfortunately I’m beginning to think Sega won’t bother because it’s such a huge undertaking.

I haven't heard that, but if it's true, I'll stop holding my breath.
RyanHazuki

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby Esppiral » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:24 pm

I heard something about that long ago, there are not only problems with copyrights like Ryo's handbag, his watch or the Coca Cola brand, there are licence issues with the engine and other related pieces of software used during the game development, that no longer belong to the company it used to and even today no one knows who own the right for some of those bits of software.

All this could be totally bullshit though.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby BlueMue » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm

I recall someone pinpointing it to the ADX audio format or something but it could very well just be a guess like any other assumption. Tons and tons of different studios were involved in the making of Shenmue, just look at all the logos in the credits. There could be a lot to settle with all sorts of people but they probably just aren't asking...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Fluffy90 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 pm

I didn't realize the engine would be an obstacle even if parts of it were licensed from other companies as aren't games sort of their own license regardless of the tech used underneath?

For example a Dev uses Unreal engine 3 for a 360/ps3 game and later releases it on xbox one/ps4,i wouldn't of thought they'd have to re-license and pay out for the engine again if they did all the work in-house.

Also given that the Shenmue engine is almost two decades old now there comes a time when license actually expire and are not valid anymore unless renewed so maybe Sega are waiting for that to happen?

For example the Hitachi SH-4 that powered the dreamcast is now open source and the patents ect have expired and a new core called the J4 is being developed by a group of linux enthusiasts.

That or maybe a deep reworking of the original code is the only option then which is music to my ears as i didn't want Sega to even bother with a straight port
Fluffy90

PSN: Haroon90

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Sega has shown so little(read: no) interest in Shenmue through the years I just feel like these are all hurdles they don’t care to jump over. Buuuuut...

From the first page of this thread...

Peter wrote: It's logical if Sony want to make money from the franchise, that they would throw a few million for a studio to remaster them. They want to make money at the end of the day. So do YSNET and so to do Sega. Even if they are not remasters, the original 2 games will be released in some capacity, I have no doubts.

I just can’t see Sega releasing straight ports. There are too many hurdles, or so it seems from the licensing issues if they do in fact exist. But I do agree with Peter than Sony is in this series 100% now and it’s in everyone’s best interest if new gamers get to play Shenmue 1 and 2.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 am

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/22/ ... -this-year

Please be real, please be real!

P.s. I've seen this journalist's youtube videos in the past (mainly Unseen64) he's a pretty credible source.

Update: I've heard he also reported on an L.A. Noire remaster in the past?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 am

These are exciting times we live in. I hope their sources are correct.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:25 am

Another day, another rumor.

That being said--if it has been in development since 2016, then I don't think it's a straightforward port..looks like it'll get a nice coat of paint.

This isn't one SEGA probably wants to just shovel out, with all the expectations.

We have two possible scenarios of a reveal--Paris Games Week, or PSX. PSX would be the likely reveal, but would probably make it a digital only release, as an Available Now wouldn't bode for a simultaneous physical release, which I'd like to have.

Paris Games Week isn't as full of big guns, so it could have some spotlight there and gives time if it's both physical and digital. We shall see.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:39 am

Valascaziel wrote:Another day, another rumor.

That being said--if it has been in development since 2016, then I don't think it's a straightforward port..looks like it'll get a nice coat of paint.

This isn't one SEGA probably wants to just shovel out, with all the expectations.

We have two possible scenarios of a reveal--Paris Games Week, or PSX. PSX would be the likely reveal, but would probably make it a digital only release, as an Available Now wouldn't bode for a simultaneous physical release, which I'd like to have.

Paris Games Week isn't as full of big guns, so it could have some spotlight there and gives time if it's both physical and digital. We shall see.
That's a good/exciting point, I never thought about the length of time, and there is a lot of things contributing to that (previous rumours, the fact that shenmue 3 has been a known thing for a while) while I'm sure it's a lot of work regardless (especially since it's two large games) but you're right in that it is a long time.

However it's also been rumoured that it's been (mostly) done for a while and the difficulty of it all had more to do with optimal timing. The journalist today speculated it was planned for earlier (like E3) but SEGA got cold feet with the announcement of new games coming.

Personally if this happens, I think it will be handled exactly how Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was last year: shadow dropped PS4 digital version, followed by a PC, Xbox and physical release for all these platforms by March 2018.

Paris Games Week would be a bonus though, but whatever it takes to make it happen and whatever works best for exposure/sales I'm game with...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue