Is it worth getting the Japanese version of Shenmue 1?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Is it worth getting the Japanese version of Shenmue 1?

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:52 pm

I am curious is it worth getting the Japanese version of the original Shenmue? Like is it only in Japanese or Japanese spoken and English subtitles or vice versa or are all options available? I am studying Japanese and the original Shenmue game helped keep me motivated because I would always see Japanese kanji everywhere, although some once you got close enough or used a certain button translated for you as I recall. I am wanting a more immersive version now. But I want to know what the options are if anyone knows. I can get it for about $25 used which is surprising to me, especially since the English version is still $50 and the second game on the Dreamcast is over $100. O_o I am still kicking myself for not picking up a copy while I was in Japan. ](*,)

Or is there an official Dojo free modded version some where? I already have the original, I am not really worried about which region it is from. Or is there one that was fan made that has all language options, at least when subtitles are concerned? I had heard something talked about in the forums, but not sure where it is by now.

Or are the HD remakes, if those are even a thing, will have the same options I am looking for now?
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Is it worth getting the Japanese version of Shenmue 1?

Postby spud1897 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 am

Hello,

I have the Japanese version and it doesn't carry English subtitles. There is Shenmue US which carries the English voices with Japanese subtitles. It can be quite pricy though.

There is a PAL/US version of a English subtitled, Japanese voices Shenmue 1 being done by people on the dojo. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46869&start=375 I think they are very close to having 100% translation but have testing to do before releasing it.

HD remakes are not confirmed... yet. Hopefully soon. I will point you to TeamYu and the #SaveShenmueHD campaign
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 pm

spud1897 wrote:There is Shenmue US which carries the English voices with Japanese subtitles. It can be quite pricy though.

You mean there is more than one US version? Because unless I am doing something wrong, the only options I have are English subtitles or nothing at all at the bottom of the screen, while the dialogue is still spoken in English. I had thought there were Japanese subtitles to it, but I do not see that option. Then again I had owned a previous DC Shenmue copy when it first came out and I thought that option was available, but at the time I never used it so I am not 100% certain. I bought a second hand copy later, the Jukebox version or something... and at least this version does not allow for Japanese spoken or read, minus what is forced in the game, which I am saddened by.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby spud1897 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:48 am

Shenmue US (confusing for everyone) was a Japan only release which used the English Dub with Japanese subtitles & I think the notebook entries are in Japanese too. It's quite rare but can be picked up on Ebay.
Last edited by spud1897 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:56 am

Ahhh... oh well. Thank you for pointing that out. Yea I shall pass on that. :)
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby spud1897 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:59 am

You're welcome. Good luck with it.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ys » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:56 am

spud1897 wrote: Shenmue US (confusing for everyone) was a Japan only release which used the English Dub with Japanese subtitles & I think the notebook entries are in Japanese too. It's quite rare but can be picked up on Ebay.

The option to have the Japanese subtitles and notebook should be correct. And a main screen that says US Shenmue (like the logo on the front). I once read that the English dub was seen as kind of cool among some Japanese gamers. Hence the release I guess? I do own this version actually as a collector's item but never really played it to doublecheck the differences.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Zeke_ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:43 am

I found this some time ago but it not available to order anymore:
http://www.retrogamelab.com/shop/index. ... uct_id=524

I also have japanese "US Shenmue" but its just a collectors item cos it only has poor english voices with japanese subtitles... ](*,)
Zeke_
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Far Cry 3

Postby punkmanced » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

The JP version is the best official release by far.
Superior voice acting aside, the actual audio is crisper compared to the compressed English version.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby vnisanian2001 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Yes, especially for the Coca-Cola product placement.

I also didn't notice until now that in the Japanese original, when the final text scrolls from left to right, there is no voice-over.
vnisanian2001
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Reublucian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm

I’d say yes! Anything Shenmue is worth getting.

Side note, does anyone know if I can play the JP version of Shenmue on my NA Dreamcast? Thanks
Reublucian
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: sleep_dreams
Currently playing: Assasins Creed Origins

Postby vnisanian2001 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Reublucian wrote: I’d say yes! Anything Shenmue is worth getting.

Side note, does anyone know if I can play the JP version of Shenmue on my NA Dreamcast? Thanks

Yes, get yourself a DC-X or a Gameshark CDX. Or, purchase a Japanese Dreamcast console.

I don’t think it matters if the Japanese Dreamcast was made before 2000, does it?
vnisanian2001

Return to Shenmue