Four questions

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Four questions

Postby vnisanian2001 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:21 am

Hey gang. Been a long time since I last posted here. I have some questions about the game in general:

1) Can the Kitty side-quest be finished on, say, December 10 or 11?

2) After you successfully learn a new move, how many times can you practice further, until the game forces you to continue with the rest of the story?

3) When you get your forklift job, what do the solid and dotted line paths mean on the map?

4) If you finish the game on December 17, 1986 (the earliest date you can finish without glitching), and use that save file to begin a new game on Shenmue 2, what will be the earliest date you will start on?
vnisanian2001
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Four questions

Postby spud1897 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:12 am

Hello, welcome back.

1. Not that I can think of

2. That's down to the player. You can practice as much as you like as long as you don't activate story parts it shouldn't progress. However there is the bad ending date which is April 15th 1987 so keep that in mind.

3. Solid is recommended route, dotted is alternate. I think there is a glitch on one of the days that you can go around on one of the job days the wrong way with crates & not activate the story scene = big money until you decide to go the normal route. Google it for more details.

4. I'm not sure. I'd suggest mid January but someone else may know the exact date.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby BlueMue » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:08 am

By practicing you mean right after you've learned the move? With the person who taught you the move?
You can continue twice and perform the move about 10 times. That's it, not much time to spend there. It also doesn't affect the move's level at all.

The boat trip takes 20 days so when you finish Shenmue on December 17 you'll start II on January 6.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:44 pm

BlueMue wrote:The boat trip takes 20 days so when you finish Shenmue on December 17 you'll start II on January 6.

To add to this, when starting on January 6th, I found that Shenmue II could be completed no sooner than January 29th.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby vnisanian2001 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:36 pm

So when's the earliest the Kitty side-quest can be completed on?
vnisanian2001

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 am

vnisanian2001 wrote: So when's the earliest the Kitty side-quest can be completed on?

I might be wrong, but I think the side quest is tied to which disc you're currently on, as opposed to a specific date.

Can anyone confirm?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am

Kitty cutscenes are dependand on where you are in the story and indeed what disc you're on. Some scenes are only stored on one of the discs.

About the date... It's not as simple as subtracting the days from when Ryo starts his work at least. If you put as much story into each day you'll miss some stuff. Once you know at what point in the story what scene is supposed to play you can of course always put a shrine visit inbetween the other stuff. Shenmue is just too "dynamic" for this to be easy to pinpoint.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm

The game counts on you "wasting" days on discs 2 and or 3. I know for sure that if you play through the game as fast as possible and finish on December 17th like I did, you won't see the final cutscene with the kitten. There's two that are impossible to miss, assuming you don't area jump to Sakuragaoka or Dobuita. One is when the kitten goes missing and the other is when Ryo is talking to it and Nozomi walks up behind him.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue