what is the best chapter, do you feel?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

what is the best chapter, do you feel?

Postby Jacateb » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 am

I fell the best chapter is 2 and 3. You can tell me the best chapter for you and tell me why. I want to know it
Jacateb
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: what is the best chapter, do you feel?

Postby johnjohnbrem » Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 am

probably the epilogue?
johnjohnbrem
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: PUBG

Postby BalHan » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Shenmue 2 before Ryo goes to Guilin. Is that chapters 2 and 3?

Not that I didn't like Guilin because I really did; I felt Guilin was a delightful counterpoint to chapters 2 and 3 with its wondrous natural landscapes and beautiful soothing music, but chapters 2 and 3 is where the action is at. Action-packed throughout, it really was thrilling, edge-of-your-seat stuff with not a single dull moment.

If I had to choose just one chapter, then it would have to be chapter 3(the one in Kowloon?).
Wow, just wow. I mean Ryo and Ren's ascension to the 17th floor of the yellow head building is reason alone to choose this epic chapter. That's not even including the street fights, Ryo and Ren's escape while handcuffed, rescuing Joy and Wong etc etc.

By the by, the other chapters are not too bad as well :D

BalHan has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
BalHan

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm

BalHan wrote: Shenmue 2 before Ryo goes to Guilin. Is that chapters 2 and 3?

Not that I didn't like Guilin because I really did; I felt Guilin was a delightful counterpoint to chapters 2 and 3 with its wondrous natural landscapes and beautiful soothing music, but chapters 2 and 3 is where the action is at. Action-packed throughout, it really was thrilling, edge-of-your-seat stuff with not a single dull moment.

If I had to choose just one chapter, then it would have to be chapter 3(the one in Kowloon?).
Wow, just wow. I mean Ryo and Ren's ascension to the 17th floor of the yellow head building is reason alone to choose this epic chapter. That's not even including the street fights, Ryo and Ren's escape while handcuffed, rescuing Joy and Wong etc etc.

By the by, the other chapters are not too bad as well :D

3, for me, is the best "disc," of gaming ever created, with the Yellowhead Building being the best hour (and a bit!) in videogame history; so much variation, so many challenges, so many enemies and different methods of fighting them, Hang-On, (strongly detest using this word but) 2 absolutely EPIC boss battles, with phenomenal cutscenes...

Kowloon for sure.

Truck_1_0_1_ has received a thanks from: BalHan
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 am

For reference:

Chapter 1 is Shenmue I (Yokosuka)
Chapter 2 was cut (the boat)
Chapter 3 is Shenmue II Discs 1 & 2 (Wan Chai)
Chapter 4 is Shenmue II Disc 3 (Kowloon)
Chapter 5 was cut (Lu River or summat like that)
Chapter 6 is Shenmue II Disc 4 (Guilin)

EDIT: I seem to be going off outdated information...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Haruto » Thu May 17, 2018 3:44 pm

I don;t care what the new order is. I'm sticking with the old order of chapters just because. That said Chapter 1 will always be my favorite. Shenmue 1 has something Shenmue II lost. That's not a knock but a purposeful choice because Shenmue II had to be a bigger scope game.I just prefer the smaller scale of Shenmue 1 and III looks like it might be a return to that.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby newyokohama » Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am

I must say chapter 1, something magical about it.
newyokohama

Currently playing: Catchup

Postby Abraham_1 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:57 am

BalHan wrote:
3, for me, is the best "disc," of gaming ever created, with the Yellowhead Building being the best hour (and a bit!) in videogame history; so much variation, so many challenges, so many enemies and different methods of fighting them, Hang-On, (strongly detest using this word but) 2 absolutely EPIC boss battles, with phenomenal cutscenes...

Kowloon for sure.

Don’t forget about the 3 EPIC boss battles before the Yellowhead Building. I also really like that cutscene with the ‘blind’ man. But then again we also have Ghost Hall Building; guess we can’t have perfection can we.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Abraham_1 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:59 am

Haruto wrote: I don;t care what the new order is. I'm sticking with the old order of chapters just because. That said Chapter 1 will always be my favorite. Shenmue 1 has something Shenmue II lost. That's not a knock but a purposeful choice because Shenmue II had to be a bigger scope game.I just prefer the smaller scale of Shenmue 1 and III looks like it might be a return to that.

Yeah, tbh if you asked me a few years ago I would have disagreed. But over time I have to come to appreciate Shenmue 1 just as much, if not more than 2, because of the small world and close knit atmosphere. Whilst I appreciate 1 more, I find it hard to say it’s better than 2 though.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri May 25, 2018 9:59 am

Abraham_1 wrote:
BalHan wrote:

Kowloon for sure.

Don’t forget about the 3 EPIC boss battles before the Yellowhead Building. I also really like that cutscene with the ‘blind’ man. But then again we also have Ghost Hall Building; guess we can’t have perfection can we.

Hmm, I wrote that, not Balhan...

Anyways, in regards to the bold, what's wrong with the Ghost Hall Building?

I'll give you that it is super annoying and tedious, but it is NECESSARY to the game's plot and variation, like an underwater level to a platformer.

It may just be me, but seeing Ryo's reaction to Ren, when Ren shows up having taken the elevator, just makes the previous 5 minutes or so, incredibly worth it! :D
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby spud1897 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:43 am

For me it has to be the Kowloon chapter. Such variation across the whole of the chapter and some neat touches. For example as above with Ryo's reaction to Ren in the Ghost Hall Building.

The whole area was so alive and the Yellow head part was really intense & left me wanting more.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Giovanni18 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:32 pm

The amount of hype I felt when Ryo stared down Lan Di on the rooftop was simply OUT of this world! Absolutely unbelievable. I can't imagine how epic the actual confrontation (i.e. when they're standing across each other) will be. The best has yet to come.
Giovanni18
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Fri May 25, 2018 5:44 pm

The Yellowhead Building rooftop scene is the best scene in the series so far, in my opinion, so it has to be Kowloon. I think if you go by the 16 chapter story as MTT3NZ mentioned above, I believe Kowloon would be the 4th chapter. Though I like Shenmue I better than Shenmue II simply because it feels so much more personal. Both games remain my favorite video games ever.

I wish someone would specifically ask Yu Suzuki about why Shin Ishikawa drew the story timeline as 16 chapters, when Yu has (if I remember correctly), only ever mentioned 11.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Return to Shenmue