New (old) Shenmue Online gameplay

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: New (old) Shenmue Online gameplay

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:57 am

I remember the day this was announced - Aug 2004, I believe - and what a strange day that was. Not a peep on Shenmue III, but here's a PC MMO that may only be released in China and Korea? It was incredibly frustrating, but I couldn't help but find the idea intriguing - if, perhaps, Shenmue was more popular than it was, without a stalled main storyline, thus warranting enough interest in an MMO spinoff...

Was the game ever officially canceled, even? Just seemed to slowly fade away into nothingness
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 am

I remember the excitement, and confusion. People were not caring about the online, and convinced this was more or less Shenmue 3. Or that it was a combination of both. It was very strange. It would have helped if it looked tacky or shit, but those promo trailed at the time looked immense. Lan Di controlling the Chiyou dragon, Shenhua in her original concept outfit summoning a flaming phoenix. Xiuying, Ren and Wong looking proper amazing, and a return to the top of a city based skyscraper. Fans, including myself churning out fake Shenmue 3 trailers which still made contextual sense from a story standpoint....

Aahh good times.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Not sure how well known it is, but there's also this footage showing off the combat system in greater depth (including PvP):
phpBB [video]
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Yup, that was from TGS 2004. The combat looked subpar, but I would've loved to wander around the world of Shenmue with all of you folks.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby redline » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:35 am

i never really understood how shenmue online would continue the story of shenmue or ryo. :???: anyone know how it would tie in?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby James Brown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

redline wrote: i never really understood how shenmue online would continue the story of shenmue or ryo. :???: anyone know how it would tie in?

It was a spin-off dude, so no continuation of story, just using the Shenmue world to create a Chinese mmo.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Niowiad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Looks nice. In those years I would have even got time for an MMO #-o
Niowiad
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Haruto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Hypothetical situation. If Shenmue III was that one sequel some series have that break their success wide open. Let's say Shenmue III sells 10 million copies. Then Shenmue 4 happens and sells about as well. Would you want Sega to try this concept again? Not even saying this exact game but a Shenmue MMO of some sort or even not a MMO but a online only type game.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 am

Absolutely! I'd have played Shenmue Online back in the day. I always said that in a perfect world, III and Online both existing, with Online being non canon to the main story, would have been amazing.

Supa has received a thanks from: Haruto
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Niowiad » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 pm

How are MMO games doing nowdays? I remember they were huge 10-15 years ago... now I have no clue.
Niowiad

Postby Haruto » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:02 pm

WoW stopped reporting player numbers as they kept dwindling. Star Trek Online I think is doing well. FFIVX is doing really well. I think ES Online is doing pretty decent. Not as huge as they once were but they seem doing okay. I tink MOBA's have taken some of the thunder away. I mean you could have a Shenmue online Moba that has a similar concept of the Yakuza 6 clan battles. not the exact same thing in gameplay but concept alone.

phpBB [video]
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 pm

I quite liked Yakuza's clan creator game, and am happy to see it return in Kiwami 2. I think they could easily make a Shenmue themed version. I would have liked to see how SHenmue Gai was initially going to turn out, too. Too bad we never got to see it past a few updates before it shut down.

Supa has received a thanks from: Haruto
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby PILMAN » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:55 am

feedback for shenmue online ranged from downright hostile opposition to curiosity and support.

I remember some were very opposed because of the direction that shenmue online was taking the series with firebolts and lightning and that there were concerns the game would never make it to the west or the money being wasted that could have gone towards development of the third game.

on the other hand, I do recall some support as it was believed some exposure could eventually lead to the development of the third game and some interested in how to create an account in the west.

I really wish the time spent on the game could have gone towards shenmue III but still interesting to see some new assets that gave a better idea of Yu Suzukis vision.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue