And I'm still finding new stuff on Shenmue 1! o_O

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby B-Man » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:27 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Hahahah!!! Be sure to ask Nemoto-san about Heartbeats, I think he calls it a crap hole or something to that effect if I recall correctly =P

Cool, I'll try that next time. Also, what does Nemoto-san say about Charlie?

Speaking of Charlie, one of the best lines in the game has to be when Tsuruoka-san of Jupitor's Jackets calls him "ugly as the worst sin." :lol:

Hey, another cool convo I just thought of is asking the guy from Funny Bear Burgers about Asia Travel Company. He tells Ryo about Akasaka-san's trip which "sucked bigtime!"

Another couple of cool things that I came across last time I played the game happen when you need to figure out where Wharehouse #8 is. First of all, if you talk to Fuku-san, he says that he remembers seeing the phrase "Heaven Dragon Earth Comrade" in the alter room (actually this might happen when you first need to find a phone to call the number in Zhu's letter; just make sure to go home and talk to Fuku-san after each new notebook entry). Then if you take too long to figure out how to find Wharehouse #8 (2 or 3 days I think), Fuku-san comes into your room in the morning and tells you that you can find the address from the number and tells you that the phonebook is in the cabinet under the phone.

Also, you can find out that it's in Amihama without looking in the phonebook, by calling Number Assistance and telling the operator the area code.

Like I said, even though it's a hassle, if you're trying to see as many interesting conversations as possible, you should go home and talk to Ine-san and Fuku-san after every new entry in your notebook. Also, according the Prima guide, if you wait too long to find the Phoenix Mirror, from the time you get into the basement, Fuku-san will help you by pointing out the scratches in the floor (similar to the cutscene I discovered where he tells you about the phonebook, although I haven't tried this one myself yet). And of course, there's that cutscene with Fuku-san regarding the photo of Iwao, which was posted on these forums a while ago.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:11 pm

Then if you take too long to figure out how to find Wharehouse #8 (2 or 3 days I think), Fuku-san comes into your room in the morning and tells you that you can find the address from the number and tells you that the phonebook is in the cabinet under the phone.

Wow, really? I'm really close to that part now so I will have to try that. I have tried the "Fuku-san coming into the basement" thing several times but I can never get it to work.
I don't actually know what Nemoto-san says about Charlie, that's why I want to try it. It was a question in the trivia thread, SSJ Golden Warrior asked what stunt Charlie tried to pull(as in a scam, not the extreme sports kind of stunt =P) at the restaurant Nemoto owns in Yokohama. This can be triggered by asking him when you need to find Charlie. Eventually it got so long and no one answered, so I asked SSJ what this stunt was and he wants me to find out for myself =P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby B-Man » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:45 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Then if you take too long to figure out how to find Wharehouse #8 (2 or 3 days I think), Fuku-san comes into your room in the morning and tells you that you can find the address from the number and tells you that the phonebook is in the cabinet under the phone.

Wow, really? I'm really close to that part now so I will have to try that. I have tried the "Fuku-san coming into the basement" thing several times but I can never get it to work.
I don't actually know what Nemoto-san says about Charlie, that's why I want to try it. It was a question in the trivia thread, SSJ Golden Warrior asked what stunt Charlie tried to pull(as in a scam, not the extreme sports kind of stunt =P) at the restaurant Nemoto owns in Yokohama. This can be triggered by asking him when you need to find Charlie. Eventually it got so long and no one answered, so I asked SSJ what this stunt was and he wants me to find out for myself =P

Well, I can't vouch for the basement thing, since I never tried it. But he really does help you with how to figure out the location of Wharehouse #8. I don't know if it's necessary, but first make sure that you talk to him after you call the number, so you get the convo where he says that it must be impossible to find Wharehouse #8. Then just don't look in the phone book for a few days.

I came upon this cutscene accidentally. I was just going through the game really slowly, because I was trying to make it past Christmas without deliberately getting caught in Wharehouse #8 a bunch of times. I can't remember exactly, but it was two or three days after I first called the number and the guy said "Wharehouse #8." I had just been wasting time, talking to people and going to the arcade and stuff. That day, I was planning to go talk to Nozomi and get the convo where she tells you to get the address from the number, and then finally look it up, and move on to Disk 2. And to my surprise, Fuku-san came into my room in the morning to help me out.

BTW, I'm pretty sure it's okay to talk to people during this time and hear other people tell you to use the number, just as long as you don't actually look it up. I remember that Yamagishi-san told me I should use my phonebook at home. But instead of actually doing it, I just kept wasting time. Heh, the ironic thing is that after Fuku-san finally told Ryo to use the phonebook, and Ryo acted like it was such a good idea, I ended up calling Number Assistance and finding out that way! 8)

Oh yeah, I think I got that convo with Nemoto-san before! It sounds really familiar, but I can't remember exactly what he said Charlie did. Needless to say, it was something that had him pissed off. I think he might have claimed to have gotten food poisoning or something.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:54 am

Heeheh, that sounds like Charlie alright =P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby B-Man » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:29 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Heeheh, that sounds like Charlie alright =P

Yeah, he probably does that kind of thing all the time.....when he's not busy getting hit in the face by soccer balls, that is! :biglaugh:
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:51 pm

Just found yet more new things!
When you ask Saijo-san about a pay phone, he recalls how there used to be one in front of Manpukuken Ramen, but some drunks broke it apparently =P
Also when you ask Akemi she says "What? Are you calling your honey?" :lol:
When you ask Tom it's pretty humourous. He says "Yeah man, there's one over by the tobacco shop! Where you can see that old lady taking naps!" :lol:
Be sure to ask Miki too, she scolds Ryo as she can't believe he forgot where the phone was. She tells him he's too young to be senile, and Ryo says "You're so funny", really robotically of course =P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby B-Man » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:26 pm

Something else I just found out was that at the beginning of the game, when you're supposed to talk to Nozomi to find out that she got splashed by mud and about Tom's argument, if you call Nozomi, she says she'll be waiting at the shop.

Also, if you talk to Mayumi at Sakuragaoka Park after you talk to Yamagishi-san about his back, Ryo says, "You saw the cat get hit by the car, right?" Then Mayumi says, "Yeah, how did you know?" Then Ryo says, "Megumi told me" and Mayumi responds, "That little chatterbox...that's all she ever talks about now, that cat!"

I started a new game last night, and I want to try to get as many conversations as possible. Therefore, I'm going through the game really, really slow. Last night, when I saved my game, I was going to bed in my second night of game time, and I still hadn't even spoken to Nozomi yet about getting slashed by mud!

Oh yeah, and Miles, what did Nemoto-san say about Charlie?
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:57 pm

Not 100% sure, I can't be bothered to start another new game right now x_x
Can you check when you get to that bit again? =P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby B-Man » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:02 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Not 100% sure, I can't be bothered to start another new game right now x_x
Can you check when you get to that bit again? =P

Oh, okay. I thought you were gonna check on this run through the game. I'll make sure that I check when I get to that part.
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:23 pm

Thanks ^_^
Glad to see you're playing through the game so slowly--just try not to trigger the bad ending =P
Have you seen that btw B_Man? I kept a save file of the Bad Ending so I can watch it whenever I wish ^_^
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby B-Man » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:37 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Thanks ^_^
Glad to see you're playing through the game so slowly--just try not to trigger the bad ending =P
Have you seen that btw B_Man? I kept a save file of the Bad Ending so I can watch it whenever I wish ^_^

Yeah, I did the same thing. I have a save of it so I can watch it anytime.

LOL, there's no way I'm gonna go through the game that slowly! The bad endings to Shenmue I & II both must be about impossible to get without doing it deliberately (at the Wharehouse #8 part and the Zhangyu part, respectively).

Oh, BTW, I can't remember during which part of the game this was triggered, but did you ever get the conversation with Maeda-san, where he tells you how he wants to cut Tom's hair? This is one of the things that makes Shenmue so great; characters, even unimportant ones, have idiosyncracies and eccentricities....just like real people!
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:40 pm

Yup, I was kind of disappointed Tom himself never mentioned it
"That crazy mother from Maeda Barbershop wants to cut my hair man! He's craaazzzyy!" :lol:
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:02 am

Ok, SSJ tells me Charlie did indeed fake food poisoning and ask for his money back--
http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~shenmuedoj ... 967#160967
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby B-Man » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:11 am

Good, so I'm not crazy!

Hey, wait a minute.....you took credit for my answer Miles! :-s
B-Man
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss