i just got shenmue I legit and i got some questions

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

i just got shenmue I legit and i got some questions

Postby Louis » Tue May 13, 2003 1:36 pm

ok, i just got a legit copy of shenmue I, and i didnt have the pass port before.

1) who is teh character called Osoi, is it the tramp?
2) what features were on the passport, its gone down now.

thanks in advance,
Louis
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Juanfran » Wed May 14, 2003 4:38 am

I don't know about Osoi, but the antique seller is called Oishi, if that's what you mean.
Passport had already disappeared by the time I discovered the game, so I have no idea about the second q.
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Silas » Wed May 14, 2003 5:41 am

The answer to the second question would have answered the first. Because the Passport provided a history, name, birthdate and description of every single character in Shenmue. There was also a way to check your "score" and your running time, although why you have to be connected before these features are available is beyond me! (The histories, though, were downloaded. So technically they could have changed them).

There was also a means of swapping various toy collectibles, but I just didn't think much of that system, mainly because whenever I tried it it always seemed to be offering animals in exchange for slot machine toys. Well, the animals didn't interest me and I never played the slot machines!
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ChaiOgawa » Wed May 14, 2003 6:03 am

The animals were awesome SILAS! The first character I have no idea about. And silas answered your second question right and in full depth (as always) I never collected capsule toys all that much. Waste of time I thought.
ChaiOgawa

Postby Silas » Wed May 14, 2003 6:35 am

What? Pochi? John? Mary? Big Philip and Little Philip? Bleaugh!
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mikec_ct » Sun May 18, 2003 11:17 pm

Actually, one (if not both) of the Shenmue guides I saw, by Prima and Versus Books, had those same character profiles that were on the passport for every character in the game. Even when the passport worked it was great to have cause it was a quick reference tool.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueAddict » Mon May 19, 2003 7:18 am

also the passport would tell you how the kitten is doing in your current game and a weather forcast for the next 3 days in your shenmue game.
there were also detailed desriptions of all the locations in shenmue (the harbour, doubita, etc..)
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: Patrickingham2
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby Gutcruncher » Mon May 19, 2003 10:58 am

it also had detailed discriptions about each of your moves, including how accurate you are with them.

oh, and it shows how many times you hit a wall
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Louis » Mon May 19, 2003 11:24 am

thats so gay, why do you have to be online for that!
Louis
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mikec_ct » Mon May 19, 2003 11:39 am

I always thought that cool extra stuff should be available to people on the Passport GD-ROM, but I think this was Sega's way of forcing us to use the DC modem, thereby encouraging us to use online games and pay for SegaNet service. Problem was that A: Dial-up sucks and B: When the Passport was taken offline early last year that was the end of everything. Bad move by AM2 or Sega or whoever made the call to give us online-only content that could've easily been available offline.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby goaliefrk » Mon May 19, 2003 2:29 pm

Holy crap, I had no idea the passport did so much.
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Return to Shenmue