I went back to Shenmue I

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

I went back to Shenmue I

Postby Silas » Thu May 15, 2003 8:28 am

After a month or so of playing Shenmue II on the XBox, I've restarted playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast.

Man, but the DC controller is so much easier to use than the X-Box. The buttons and triggers are so light! I think I've been giving myself repetitive strain injury (US: carpal tunnel syndrome) using the X-Box controller, the goddam trigger springs are so strong!

Anyone out there agree?

(PS I'm not shelling out £25 ($40) for a Controller-S, I'm gonna see if I can find them cheaper.)
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jacob Marley » Thu May 15, 2003 1:03 pm

I recently went back and played some Shenmue 1 (after that whole Dreamcast system dying on me debacle). I think the graphics looked a lot cleaner and more realistic on the DC. I love the XBOX version of SHen II, but when nightime comes, the characters all have this freakish glow whenever they pass by a light or the camera focuses on them. And the XBOX is aliasing some of the edges to reduce the glimmering effect.

But I'd have to disagree with you on the controller. Going back to use a DC pad again was like taking a step back. The pad just feels very light, cheap and hollow. The D-pad is raised a little too much with sharp edges and the ABXY buttons are small and have a very hollow plastic click to them. The XBOX pad, either variety, is better suited to playing a game like Shenmue and I found myself aching to use my XBOX controller when going back to play Shenmue 1. :o

Also, the fact that Ihad been spoiled by the IIx's quick saving and one disc play style made going back to lenghty save times and disc swaps a little strange.
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LanDC » Thu May 15, 2003 1:09 pm

Jacob Marley wrote:but when nightime comes, the characters all have this freakish glow whenever they pass by a light or the camera focuses on them.

Thats just the effect they made. didnt they call it "vasoline" or something? i didnt like it at first, but i have no problem with it. and back to the controller again... oh boy. silas.. maybe you are to ruff with your controller? :roll: mine is fine... or if you really care that much, go buy a magic box so you can use your dc controller on xbox.. sure you wont be able to snap pics or change the filter.. but what the hell?
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Re: I went back to Shenmue I

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Thu May 15, 2003 6:36 pm

Silas wrote:After a month or so of playing Shenmue II on the XBox, I've restarted playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast.

Man, but the DC controller is so much easier to use than the X-Box. The buttons and triggers are so light! I think I've been giving myself repetitive strain injury (US: carpal tunnel syndrome) using the X-Box controller, the goddam trigger springs are so strong!

Anyone out there agree?

(PS I'm not shelling out £25 ($40) for a Controller-S, I'm gonna see if I can find them cheaper.)

I'll play Shenmue I just as much as I play Shenmue II...
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby ChaiOgawa » Thu May 15, 2003 8:29 pm

I play shenmue 1 much more than shenmue 2 I dont know what it is but I just always get the feeling of wanting to play it. I never really wanna play the second one anymore, the first one seemed to have just something more than the second one I cant exactly tell you what it iscause I dont know, maybe the story just pulls you in more.
ChaiOgawa

Postby Miles Prower » Fri May 16, 2003 3:32 am

ChaiOgawa wrote:I play shenmue 1 much more than shenmue 2 I dont know what it is but I just always get the feeling of wanting to play it. I never really wanna play the second one anymore, the first one seemed to have just something more than the second one I cant exactly tell you what it iscause I dont know, maybe the story just pulls you in more.

I agree, it's just got that kind of "atmosphere", I can't really describe it...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Juanfran » Fri May 16, 2003 4:54 am

Shenmue I feels more like home, a comforting presence.
Juanfran
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby hxcx af fan » Fri May 16, 2003 11:28 am

i agree i feel the need to play shenmue I but shenmue 2 i just kinda pick it up and start whereas shenmue I is more family like...u know everyone by first and last name and stuff like that
hxcx af fan
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Fri May 16, 2003 3:41 pm

I just like Fuku-san....
j/k
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby ChaiOgawa » Sat May 17, 2003 3:40 am

Who doesnt like fuku san...he's got a piggy bank.
ChaiOgawa

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Sat May 17, 2003 8:46 am

Yeah... another Fuku fan... I went to a Detroit Tigers game last night and there was an Asian guy who looked just like Fuku... the hair... the ears... everything!
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby goaliefrk » Sat May 17, 2003 3:22 pm

LOL... :roll:
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Sat May 17, 2003 3:27 pm

goaliefrk wrote:LOL... :roll:

I'm serious... he was speaking Japanese to all of his friends (who were all Japanese as well).... no joke, I swear, if I had a pic, I'd show it, he was IDENTICAL :D
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby goaliefrk » Sun May 18, 2003 1:04 am

You shoululd have asked him for his autograph.
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Cpt. Ultimate K Prime » Sun May 18, 2003 10:05 am

I think he thought I was crazy.... he was about five rows up and I kept staring at him :lol:
Cpt. Ultimate K Prime
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to Shenmue