What Brought You To Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Realillusion » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:25 pm

I read it in a GAMEPRO magazine a couple months before it came out. At first it thought SHENMUE was going to be like the SIMS. You can do anything, control your character, build your own house, stuff like that. Then i bought it, the first day it came out, and played it and i was like....what the heck! is this crap! it has a plot, you cant build your house, NOTHING! Then i grew to love it! I played through it and it became one of my favorite game EVER!
Realillusion
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Gutcruncher » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:41 pm

Heart Of Swords wrote:You guys remember that commercial with the guy making out with his girlfriend and then she punches him in the eye cuz he calls her Nozomi? I'd heard of Shenmue and seen stuff in magazines, but i forgot about it until I saw that commercial and it showed the clips of the game and I knew I had to get it.

I still laugh when I think about the guy sitting there and his black eye shouting "SEGA!" :lol:

that is one of my favorite commercials ever!

another one of my favorites is the one for jet grind radio
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Oro Haven » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:25 pm

Well, I found out about Shenmue from a top ten Sega game list. It was number 2 behind soul calibur. I have always been into martial arts, so I figured I would try it out. I didnt realize that how good it actually would be.

-Saint
Oro Haven
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby BayStone » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:09 am

In an old, old preview, like 1997 or something I saw a picture with Ryo, Megumi and the kitten. Oh man, the graphics were amazing - the preview discussed about the freedom, jobs, martial arts, etc. I was hooked immediately.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby The Grrreat Chai » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:36 pm

Well, I went into GAME and was going to buy a different game... I think Grandia II, but it had been put back. Not content with going home empty handed, I saw Shenmue. I'd been interested in the game, but hadn't gotten around to getting it yet, so I thought "I'll get this then!" And, well, after that I had no life until I had finished it. I then went and got Shenmue II on the day of release for my Dreamcast.
The Grrreat Chai
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Dragon Age II

Postby ::RFY:: » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:17 pm

yeah tpam, I beat Shenmue, then waited 2 years so I could import Shenmue 2 for DC after a very disappointing last minute termination of a US release, then about 2 years after that.....I got Shenmue 2 for my XBOX. The first time I beat Shenmue chapter 1, I was angry, I thought the game would continue, then I was hoping for a sequel, praying every day, then we hear of one. I could not wait....2 years later...Muwhahaha! Victory! Now I wait, like most of you now, for the 3rd installment of the best game ever made and directed.
::RFY::
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby goaliefrk » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:32 pm

My brother told me Sega made it, and, so I bought it and played it and beat it....and it was my favorite game of all time.
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby >>JCA<< » Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:07 am

the first preview i read in german official dreamcast magazine caught my eye, but the article didnt say much, so i lost the interest. finally it was the video on a dream on demo gd wich made me buy it, and also the talking in mags of how epic and great it is and a friend who showed me a preview in a multi console mag and said "i'm thinking of buying a dreamcast, just because of this game. just look what you can do in this game! you can drink, your hurtings must heal and you need to sleep! and you can go everywhere!".
>>JCA<<
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Ajiichi » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:18 am

I was really bored one day so I went to blockbuster to rent a game. I had rented just about every game in their dismal DC section, so I was about to go home. Then i saw Shenmue, I hadnt really thought about renting it before and it actually looked kinda crap, but there was alot of critical acclaim on the box so I gave it a shot. A sleepless night later, I had a new favorite game.
Ajiichi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby xXClouDXx » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:49 pm

i have a big poster of it in my room
xXClouDXx
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby VMan » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:00 am

I was attracted to the game well before it even came out in Japan. I played the game in Beta form at a SEGA exhibit in Florida.
VMan
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kckool » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:42 pm

I read a preview (which i think was of What's Shenmue) in a magazine and thought it looked amazing. 2 years later i had completely forgot about it and bought a DC and at the same time saw shenmue on the shelf, thats how i got it.
kckool
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

I remember.......

Postby n00dl3s » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:34 am

This kid brought his Dreamcast System and some games over to my house, one which happened to be called Shenmue that he got for Christmas as a present. He played it so much that I can't even remember if I got a chance to play. When I watched him play it, I was thinking that it was the best game that I ever saw. I wanted to get it, but Dreamcast was more expensive at the time, not many games were being made anymore for it, and I wanted to wait for Xbox. I got Xbox the Christmas after its November release. Then when Shenmue II came out for Xbox I got it as a birthday present from my parents. :D :mrgreen:
n00dl3s
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Dreakon » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:25 am

I occasionally looked in stores and just read the back of it and looked at the pics. Magazines were saying how good it was, so I decided to rent it. I went to my nearest blockbuster and when I got home I realized I only got one CD! Unknowing of how many CD's the game actually had, I thought that 1 CD was all it had.

I played through the game up to the end of the first CD, non-stop and loved it! I was pissed because I couldnt continue, but then I saved up my money and bought it. Sadly after I bought it I couldnt play it right away, I had to go to some party. But that night I was hooked on it and now I cant wait for Shenmue III! BTW, I bought and beat Shenmue II. ;)
Dreakon
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gattsu » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:17 pm

I saw a review of it on Cybernet I think it was, and it was hailed as the game that saves the Dreamcast, and that people should buy a DC just to play it.
Gattsu

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue