What Brought You To Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Postby Bane » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:11 pm

I would also like to play on shenmue zero.
Bane
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JacketPotato » Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:35 pm

I remember reading about it in ODCM, it hyping it as a completely open-ended experience, you being able to do whatever you like. I thought it sounded really cool, and got hyped.. but eventually forgot about it. Then ODCM featured a teaser video on the demo disk.. and that completely sealed the deal. Also the 10/10 review in ODCM.

So I preordered it off Ebgames along with the Shenmue soundtrack (the shenmue special edition) and was really hyped when it arrived.. but it turned out it wasn't very open-ended at all. I was knocking on doors and Ryo would wait 2 seconds then say, "No ones home." while ODCM basically said you could go into anyones house. So I was angry and didn't play it for a while. Then I started it one day when I had nothing to do and slapped myself for not realizing what a killer of a plot this friggin game had. Then I was all hyped for Shenmue 2, when it got cancelled for the U.S., which devastated me. Christmas 2002, it arrives for my Xbox. Best. Christmas. Ever.

And now I want Shenmue 3.
JacketPotato
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Milkybarkid » Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:27 am

Miles Prower wrote:As soon as I read about it in Official Dreamcast Magazine, I knew I wanted it. I finally got it on Xmas Day 2000, and that was one of the best Christmases ever ^_^
Does anyone else think that Shenmue and Christmas Day is an absolutely perfect combination? ^.^

Well even though I get it for my birthday, Yes I agree with Miles! :)
Milkybarkid
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bane » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:52 pm

JacketPotato wrote:I remember reading about it in ODCM, it hyping it as a completely open-ended experience, you being able to do whatever you like. I thought it sounded really cool, and got hyped.. but eventually forgot about it. Then ODCM featured a teaser video on the demo disk.. and that completely sealed the deal. Also the 10/10 review in ODCM.

So I preordered it off Ebgames along with the Shenmue soundtrack (the shenmue special edition) and was really hyped when it arrived.. but it turned out it wasn't very open-ended at all. I was knocking on doors and Ryo would wait 2 seconds then say, "No ones home." while ODCM basically said you could go into anyones house. So I was angry and didn't play it for a while. Then I started it one day when I had nothing to do and slapped myself for not realizing what a killer of a plot this friggin game had. Then I was all hyped for Shenmue 2, when it got cancelled for the U.S., which devastated me. Christmas 2002, it arrives for my Xbox. Best. Christmas. Ever.

And now I want Shenmue 3.

Why did it get cancelled in the US shenmue 2 came to the UK?
Bane
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JacketPotato » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:02 pm

Because with the Xbox coming out and all, Microsoft and Sega wanted it to be exclusive in the U.S. for the Xbox. Kinda dumb, but meh.
JacketPotato
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Daemos » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:02 pm

I didn't know the game that well when I bought it. I had learned of the name "Shenmue", but I knew nothing else except it had an incredible attention to detail, great graphics. A friend of mine (which I "forced" to join the forums; his name is _DrAsTiX_, his location is faked ;) ) told some cool stuff about it, and end up buying it a couple weeks before me. Even without having played it at his house before buying it, I did. Something I never, ever, regretted. Then Shenmue II came along, and I bought it as soon as it was available. Actually, I got S2 before it was available in stores... (online order)

Long live Shenmue!
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Daemos » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:03 pm

BrazilianGC wrote:I would also like to play on shenmue zero.

Trust me, you wouldn't. :lol:
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raging Drunk » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:49 pm

this is how it all happened....

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

In West Philadelfia born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys..were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighbourhood
I got in one little fight and my momma got scared
And she said "you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

I begged and pleaded with her the other day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kissin' and she gave me my ticket
I put my walkman on and said I might as well kick it

First class, yo this is bad,
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass
Is this what the people of Bel-Air livin' like,
Hmm this might be alright!

I whistled for a cab and when it came near the
Licensplate said "Fresh" and had a dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought now forget it, yo home to Bel-Air

I pulled up to a house about seven or eight
And I yelled to the cabby "Yo, home smell you later"
Looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To settle my throne as the prince of Bel-Air

Actually it happened because i was watching tv one day with my brother when dreamcast was still around and doing all right, and a commercial for shenmue came on and my brother said after the commercial "Shenmue...looks like a good game." A year later I decided to get a dreamcast and of course, Shemue.
Raging Drunk
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby YUNNY » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:28 am

My bro got the game and I was watching him play it and that's how I got into Shenmue. Before that I hardly even played videogames except for Super Mario games for the NES and Sonic games for Genesis, LOL.
YUNNY
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yukupo » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:53 am

When I first heard about Shenmue I had just gotten my Dreamcast. I was looking around IGN for Dreamcast games and reading previews. My friend said that Shenmue looked good and I got interested.

Sometime later that year when it came out, I had rented it. I beat it in 3 days. I sat there at the end blinking. I had thought that they were messing with me and there was actually more. A few months later I bought and have been beating it again and again. I cry at the ending everytime too.

Afterwards I was waiting for Shenmue II. I had money saved up for it and I was waiting day after day. And it kept getting pushed back. It was around October or November when it was canceled for Dreamcast in the US and I decided to buy an Xbox. I bought the Xbox for Shenmue II and beyond only. (Though I had more hope for the console which has been pretty much lost.)

So then I waited a year for Shenmue IIx and when I got it I played it until I beat it. And played both again. And again.... and Again...
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby YUNNY » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:54 am

Well hello there Yukio. Welcome to the Shenmue Dojo forums and happy posting, eh? ^_^
YUNNY
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yukupo » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:56 am

Thanks

Oddly I have been here about a year but just now got around to registering. I just havent gotten used to not being a forum administrator.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby YUNNY » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:02 am

Oh I see.......so where are you an admin at?
YUNNY
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yukupo » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:04 am

My friend and I owned a roleplay forum like 2 years ago... I haven't done much with forums since then.
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby YUNNY » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:08 am

Oh ok. Well it's good to have you here......hope you visit here once in a while!
YUNNY
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue