Model Extractor UPDATE! April 22,2010

(Modding and other series related projects)

Model Extractor UPDATE! April 22,2010

Postby dotsona » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a new update about the model extractor from Yazgoo and today I have some semi good news and bad news on the future of the program.

Me: Hey Yazgoo, long time no see, I was wondering if you could give us the current status of the model extractor and what you plan on doing next?

Yazgoo: What I want to do is rewrite ypvr program so that it fits my current knowledge.

Me: What about some of the other bugs, like character mesh problems, and broken scenes? Are those things that can still be worked out?

Yazgoo: Yep, I cannot promise anything, since I am starting a new (big) project, but I'll try.

Me: What is the new project you are working on?

Yazgoo: A strategy game, but that's just ideas on paper right now

Yazgoo: What is important is that the project is forkable

Me: What do you mean by forkable?

Yazgoo: I've left many things on github so that if another developer gets on it, he can get all of the data.

Yazgoo: If I do something, it will be programming a ruby ypvr,so development and experimentation would be easier. When the ruby prototype is good, I'ld switch back to c++.

Me: So do you foresee the Shenmue model extractor being worked on by another developer or do you see yourself updating it?

Yazgoo: honestly, I don't know, What's sure is: if a developer wants to keep on working on the project I can give him all information I have. But that doesn't mean I won't be working on this project, that's just I can't promise anything

Me: What would the requirements be if someone else wanted to help (in terms of programming)

Yazgoo: if someone want to rewrite a high level ypvr, which is the first thing id do, knowing how to read binary files and unpack data is necessary, and little knowledge in 3D is needed.

Me: How much more would you say is required to get full models working, like if you had to put a percentage on how far along the project is?

Yazgoo: i'd say: MT5 knowledge: 80%

Me: 80% wow, that's pretty good

Yazgoo: Extractor implementation: 40% if you rewrite one, (I'm not sure of it, I could be missing things). The truth is I don't know if the problem was my implementation of the extractor or my knowledge of MT5, that's why i'd rewrite a clean slate ymt5 high level prototype

Me: Is the current model extractor fixable?

Yazgoo: It is fixable, but its not experimentation-debug oriented

Yazgoo: I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything new.

So the future of the application is uncertain. We might want to start looking for some help since Yazgoo will be busy and might not have the time to work on it. The sad part about all of this is that we are so close! But the bright side is all of the current data about the mt5 format, and the source code of the application is now open for other developers to add and collaborate on. Which in itself is a huge milestone. Lets hope for the best.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 am

I will 'Donate' $100.00 to whoever makes a 100% working (Inc textures) model extractor for Shenmue, $200.00 if it works with Shenmue 2
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby dotsona » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:43 am

I will also donate the same amount if someone can do it :D
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby HazDS » Mon May 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I would also offer what I could at the time. (Whether it be £10 or £100.) :)
HazDS
It's happening!!
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Fenix » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:51 pm

One more here to help with donation.

I really don't know how much I'll be abe to pay but sure It would be around 300-500$.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 am

If we had someone co-ordinating and managing donations we might get anough together to hire a freelancer...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dotsona » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:08 pm

^^ That sounds like a good idea. If we can get a few more people we could for sure get someone to do this for us.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:10 pm

OK as i think noone else wants to I will be the project manager unless anyone else offers his/her help.

I will make a separate thread to give further details.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Community Projects