Is there a Shenmue 1 with Jap Audio & English Subs?

(Modding and other series related projects)

Is there a Shenmue 1 with Jap Audio & English Subs?

Postby ReeceKun » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:47 pm

I doubt this exists I guess I would have seen it by now.

Has anyone tried to mod the English version with the Japanese Audio?
I suppose audio/sub Timing would be an issue, but not impossible

EDIT: Ive thought about this and I suppose it would be pointless as the english subs wouldnt be a direct japanese speech translation, allthough I do get the feeling from the english shenmue that it hasnt been 'americanised' to badly, If its ever possible to edit the japanese subtitles to english I'd love to see an anime sub team do it
Last edited by ReeceKun on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

No never tried...

Well although it's possible i doubt it would be of great demand. While this would make a funny japanese language trainer it would probably be more effective if you not show english subs at all. Being a hardcore Shenmue fan you already know every single line anyways.

There are not that many "modders" around and if there was a thing like that I'm sure someone here ahs heard about it. Well else it would be up to you i guess.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby L1qu1d » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:42 pm

I know that shenmue 2 pal was english sub and jap voices. Have you tried looking at the pal version of the shenmue game?
L1qu1d
Asia Travel Representative

Postby takumoru » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 am

PAL version of Shenmue for DC has english voice and subs.

---

This is actually something I'd die to have... So maybe I'll start a project on this later. I've never modded any DC games though, so I'd have to start by getting used to the whole scene.

Anyone here got any tips as to where I could start learning?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the awesome sticky thread Master Kyodai had put up. Looks like there's a good read to learn from there ^_^
takumoru

Re: Is there a Shenmue 1 with Jap Audio & English Subs?

Postby DeadlyHazuki » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:15 pm

I have the japanese version wich is a full GD-rom copy to use on emulators.. no eng subs though. I also have the PAL original version wich is just like the NTSC version so no luck on that second one.
DeadlyHazuki
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby Chevy787 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:48 am

It's possible to an extent. For instance, you can copy the stream folder from the NTSC-J to the PAL or NTSC-U version and just replace it, and then launch the game.
This will put the game in Japanese with Japanese subtitles, the only gain here is that the Menus, Journal, and Move Scroll are in English. Since 1st_read.bin contains such data as the journal and moves scroll.
As for getting english subtitles, the srf files store them and they are in asf archive with the sound files. The problem of just replacing the subs or the audio files is that when you try to re-create an afs archive, the # of lines in the srf file must match up with the number of audio files. If it doesn't, you won't be able to create a valid idx file that validates the afs archive. Of course, you could manually modify these lines, but then you'd encounter unforeseen problems and probably many of them. The only true way would be to completely re-work it from the NTSC-J version but you could use the PAL NTSC-U versions as a guide by looking at the subtitles there.
http://www.hiei-tf.fr/shenmue1-howtotra ... glish.html
Bottom part discusses what I said.
Chevy787
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:48 pm

It is very much possible to do this. I'm actually doing this on my translation into german and it works pretty good.
I'm doing this by exchanging the AFS files from the PAL version with those from the japanese version. You just have to edit the subtitles then. If you don't want to be loyal to the japanese script you would only need to copy and paste the english subtitles over to it. Sometimes you might have to do a little checking since the amout of lines differs every now and then but it's possible with some basic sense of the order, comparisons and if that doesn't help by running the text through google translate wich is unfortunately a little complicated, if you're like me and cannot read japanese.

It's also possible to exchange only the SRF files and thus keeping the english subtitles but this has two problems. The first one is that you have a lot of extra work with renaming and rearranging the files and the other is, that you don't get the correct lip motions. They are somewhere stored hidden and on my first try with this way the lips were totaly out of sync.

You can also get the original Coke vending machines with a little bit of file swapping. I have already done this myself (with help from our french friend Shendream of course). Then there are just the kimono girls and that one little line from Yukawa missing to get a perfect japanese version out of your PAL or NTSC version. Another way would be, like already mentioned, to use the japanese version and translate everything there. But there might be problems with the menus and the notebook and you would have to do many texture swapping.

If would like to make a version with the japanese audio and english text for the whole shenmue community but that's damn much work to do there. The scenes are no problem but the humans and free AFS are to much.
Maybe one day...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Of all the lines that are in a Hollywood movie, its worth bearing in mind that more lines were recorded each day than whats in a Hollywood movie. That would be A LOT of work.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby venom13194 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:08 pm

i want that type of version soooo bad.....im working on making that version, if it works ill post a link to the download :)
venom13194
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: ben13194
XBL: superduper94

Postby zachthezombie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:32 pm

any update on this
zachthezombie
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zombiedead
Currently playing: power stone

Return to Community Projects