Possible solution for ripping shenmue game models found!

(Modding and other series related projects)

Postby accel99 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:24 pm

[quote="Master Kyodai"]I still havent found out the secret... WHile Shenmue 2 makes ripping easier in a means that i dont get the problem with random textures it seems to have even worse geometries and mapping. My Shenmue 2 Ryo looks just terrible. If anyone manages to rip smooth figures can he please post what the trick is?

Couldnt find the forum I was talking about(the one that I suspect it was seems to be long gone.)Hmm I guess Ill give it a try if the the 3dr plug in is compatible with 3ds max 10, is it?
accel99
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby dotsona » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:26 pm

hmm perhaps it has something to do with your settings, ill play around with it tomrrow.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby SaM_4000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:24 am

Master Kyodai wrote:"You saved me, Ryo - but look what he did to my hair!"

Well Nozomi from Shenmue 1 passport.

I ripped only the "talking head" body for master tao. Same for Nozomi. Unfortunately the passport/Whats Shenmue Talking head models are just the upper body.

I tried weld in Vue but it seemed to do nothing, but thats probably a vue related problem. Unfortunately i know nothing in 3d max, so i cant do it there. I might also be a problem with stretching the model as they come quite flattened/distorted somehow.

From what i ripped there was always "more" than what the camera can see, usually the whole room, but sometimes hands or feet were missing. The ripping from shenmue 1 and whats shenmue seems to be quite glitched anyways. I will try with Shenmue 2 tomorrow i think.

Holy hell!
That's one disturbing picture of Nozomi, she is missing a huge chunk of her head...
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby lavrentis » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:35 am

She's been eating too much chocolate cake as well.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby dotsona » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:17 pm

lavrentis wrote:She's been eating too much chocolate cake as well.

hahah it does look like that
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:31 pm

OK i am getting a bit better after all.

One very fundamental trick seems to be to do just ONE SINGLE frame capture per session and afterwards cleaning up the 3D RIpper DX folders. That way i at least got all textures correct. It seems it can also help if you set your nullDC gfx engine to "static" textures, not versioned. I also unticked FPU underclock and the otehr stuff.

Another issue you can nicely see in this pic is that especially stuff you dont see directly in your view gets cut off, for example here the front wheel of Joy's nice bike.

However, i think you can see this already looks much better than previous captures...

Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:36 pm

couldn't rip any model >.<, they are flat even with the new plugin, can anybody please make a short tutorial :roll:

nb: i use vista, and i don't have a compatible version of max so i use obj files.

btw, nice models master kyodai. :o
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:51 pm

generally the Shenmue 1 models were "flattened" i means that they were like a 3D model that got under a boulder. I just "stretched" them back like i thought they should look. But this also could be related to some settings in nullDC, maybe i get back to Shenmue 1 wiuth the new knowledge. However, Vista is about the worst choice for an OS, it is well known that many applications dont work at all or are buggy in Vista. I would recommend trying WIndows XP, you also sacrifice much less memory and resources to your OS and have more left for 3D Max and stuff.

The obj files from 3D Ripper DX never worked well for me, i have better results with importing the 3DR files into max 7 and then exporting them. I just downloaded 3D max 7 which seems to work quite well with 3D Ripper DX. If you dont wanna buy it (who would anyways???) you can ask google ( like http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&sourc ... =&aq=f&oq= ) if it has seen it as a download. The Trial version is 30 days fully functional btw - enough time to convert loads of files.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:57 pm

i don't have problems with downloads , i live in padokia :lol:

i'll try to install xp and see what i can do, i just need to put some people in my model :P
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Tip - if you dont want XP to ruin your Vista bootloader then you can also run XP in a Virtual machine, for example microsofts free "Virtual PC", or as i use it "VMWare workstation"... The emulator is a bit slower in VMWare, but generally works fine.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:08 pm

yeah ,that's better, saves a lot of time :)
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:18 pm

I think i am finally getting used to it. The first rip of Joy that i am satisfied with.

Now i need to find out how to weld it in 3D max to get the model a bit smoother.

Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 pm

i'm not used to max , but i usually subdivide polygons, to get smoothed models in maya , (su has an option to do that).
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Well i guess i will just play a bit with the modifiers in 3D max by "trial and error". Some modifiers have odd effects, but I'm sure there is some way to raise the poly count and smooth it a bit.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Still some minor problems with the geometry and the low poly count, but compared to the trash i produced at the weekend its already a quantum leap.

Is anyone good at smoothing/optimizing meshes in 3D max?

Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects