Model Extractor Updates (December 09)

(Modding and other series related projects)

Model Extractor Updates (December 09)

Postby dotsona » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:23 am

Hey guys,

It's been awhile so I thought I would post some news about the model extractor by Yazgoo. Yazgoo has been working hard on it and recently released a new version which contains several updates. I have not tested the new version myself since I have been busy, however if anyone else would like to test it feel free. The more bugs reported the better. You can download new versions (which are updated constantly at the following location).

Package Downloads:
http://abdessel.iiens.net/dreamcast/mt5 ... /packages/

Here are a few updates:

Texture mapping problem seems corrected.
Well mapped meshes can now be imported in blender via obj_io_modif232b.py
(Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:46:02 +0100) by yazgoo

Make ymt5 generate more mt5 compatible files.
(Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:07:01 +0100) by yazgoo.

(Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:07:01 +0100) by yazgoo
Modified wavefront export to get obj_io_modif232b compatible mtls

He has also told me he will be working on a blender import script that will make importing models more streamlined. Which from there you will be able to export into any other application such as 3dsmax. I will keep you posted once I learn more. Lastly, if you need any help setting up the program I have made a video tutorial on how to do so here.

Video Tutorial:
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40265
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Mods

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Hate that it requires mono and the OBJF format, but whats important is that it works.

Tried a map.mt5 from the Scene\TOKI folder and expected....hmmm nearly everything but this chair. Anyways, looking good.

I converted the objf with 3D exploration as i really don't wanna install python and blender. Imma play with it a bit more in hope i get some cooler model.

Edit: some files produce just random crap like a flat square. I think this is still far from being the "perfect" tool, but already cool that its working for some files.

Edit 2: Here is the Shenhua body - SIN_M.mt5 - it seems to have halfway correct geometries but the textures are black and white???

Edit 3: Lan Di - a small distortion visible...

Edit 4: Umbrella!

Edit 5 - seems the transparency info for materials also somehow get lost. I wonder if that door is used in the game at all?

Edit 6 - nice scroll but broken geometry...

Last edited by Master Kyodai on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 pm

wow, you are in the right path, good luck. :o
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby dotsona » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Looking pretty good so far, nice to see that the textures are working. He is aware of the black and white issue for the character models and is working on a fix. He still has a little ways to go in terms of getting all the geometry to come out properly, but its a good start for sure. Also I think you can just change the file name to .obj and it should work, no need to convert it. When you extract the model there should be a checkbox that saids obj compatible.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby HazDS » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Great work, I should have my new PC within the next few weeks looking forward to trying out these apps :).
HazDS
It's happening!!
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby LawXiu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:14 pm

HazDS wrote:Great work, I should have my new PC within the next few weeks looking forward to trying out these apps :).

Isn't all this Windows XP only or is it just NullDC that doesn't run in Vista.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dotsona » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:17 pm

LawXiu wrote:
HazDS wrote:Great work, I should have my new PC within the next few weeks looking forward to trying out these apps :).

Isn't all this Windows XP only or is it just NullDC that doesn't run in Vista.

The problem is 3D Ripper in conjunction with NullDC causes the apps to crash on Vista, a new version of 3D Ripper did come out though so it might work now.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LawXiu » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm

^ But I can't use it to extract because of crappy NullDC. I've got an old pc with XP but it's got issues. Maybe I'll give it a go in after christmas when I've got time.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LawXiu » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:46 pm

Sorry to double post but I couldn't get the edit button to work. And sorry to Dotsona for the PM but I totally forgot about this topic.

NullDC used to give me problems but I've downloaded it from another source and it appears to work. I'm still waiting for a cdi file to download to fully test it. If anyone wants to try it.....

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f= ... 96cb4a1716

With regards to 3d ripper you mention there is a newer version available and I have downloaded version 1.7 and there is attached documentation:

Version 1.7
---------------------------
- "Global monitoring mode" now works on Vista/Windows7;
- 3ds Max 2010 Design 32-bit plugin;
- better support for DirectX 8 applications;
- better support for VS3.0 ('whole mesh is planar' fix);
- vertex and pixel shaders disassembly is saved properly for DirectX 8 apps;
- better FOV determination;
- support for Direct3D9Ex;
- better interception (LoadLibraryEx);
- minor fixes;

Don't know if any of it is of use to anyone but it says it works with Vista and 7.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just an update, run into problems. First off when I boot the rom I get a box pop up saying NullDc has stopped working. If I run the Emulator alone without 3d ripper the game loads up to the 50/60hz/test screen but I can't go any further because it doesn't let me configure controls.

As for using my old PC that has xp it is dead. won't be happening.

Any ideas?
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re-setup Xp on the old PC or run XP in a VMWare. Vista is what you install if you WANT nothing to work properly. Seriously you can fumble around with compatibility settings, running as administrator and stuff, but i made terrible experience with that. Vista tends to just be like "Application XY has stopped working" and often theres not much you can do.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LawXiu » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:17 pm

The old PC is dead. Just a continuous beep when I switch on, no picture, nothing. Looks like I've got to wait for software updates or give up.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dotsona » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Also you need to setup your controls, I think I show that in a video called "setting up nulldc". It's unfourtunate that it still crashes under vista.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LawXiu » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:45 pm

It doesn't let me change the controls. When I press the keyboard buttons it just beeps at me. It's a total fail.

Just found another forum that says 3DViA is better for Vista but they are ripping from Wii games. Don't know if it's worth trying?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed NullDC a second time and now I can set the controls. Did the same with 3D Ripper but still no luck. I think it's time to give up, just a complete dead end.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Found this interesting bit about mt7 files... Maybe it helps Yazgoo?

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2784
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby dotsona » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:07 pm

The guy who posted that thread is actually the guy who was going to help us untill yazgoo came back to work on the project. (I need to get back into shenmue modding, just been so busy, I graduate in 2 weeks :D I know yazgoo is still working on updates, if you check out the most recent build he has made some changes. You can read about them on his site as well.
dotsona
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Community Projects