Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcast

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:18 pm

phpBB [video]

Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcast is now a reality

There are 3 versions of this I will list below.

* If you want the version for standard 80 min CDR's, grab the first link.

* If you want to run the best release on real hardware with better quality voices than the video above, you can get the 99 min CDR version and special 850mb disc's.

* If you want to get a perfect version that has each disc over 1gb in size, you can get the version at the very end of this post that is perfect for Emulation, or Dreamcast ODE's.

This version includes all of the .afs files from XBOX Shenmue 2/stream folder.

The AHX was downsampled to 8000khz only on the 80 min release.

Note: This is a self booting game with a NTSC/PAL selector built into it, just select your TV refresh rate 50-60hrz

There are occasional sync issues. There is no way to fix that.

SMITH_SHEN2_ENG for 80 Minute Cdr's
Code: Select all
Released : March, 2010
Platform : Sega Dreamcast
Region : PAL
Filename : SMITH_SHEN2_ENG_CD1.cdi
Length (MSF) : 78:19:18
CD(s) : 1 (80min)
Format : Padus DiscJuggler v4 (CDI)
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Thanks to:
- ----------------------------- -
Bob Dobbs for testing the beta <---
????? <---
Iso made by Smith
Rip Notes
FULL ENGLISH SPEECH....

*This iso uses all .afs from XBOX Shenmue2.
*All .ahx from /stream has been downsampled to 8000khz.
*French, German, and Spanish files removed.
How to burn
Use Padus DiscJuggler or Alcohol 120 to burn this disc
at the slowest possible speed.

Download link
Shenmue II Full English for 80 Minute Cdr's

This version below is for special 99min Cdr's ONLY!

SMITH_SHEN2_ENG_99 Perfect for special 99 Minute Cdr's
Code: Select all
Released : April, 2010
Platform : Sega Dreamcast
Region : PAL
File name : SMITH_SHEN2_ENG_99a.cdi *FIXED
Length (MSF) : 92:06:73
CD(s) : 1 (99min)
Format : Padus DiscJuggler v4 (CDI)

Thanks to:- ----------------------------- -

FamilyGuy
Iso made by Smith
Rip Notes
No files removed.
CD1: Compressed all ahx in /stream except FREE01
CD2: Compressed all ahx in /stream
CD3: Compressed all ahx in /stream except FREE03
CD4: Compressed all ahx in /stream except FREE04

CD4 can be burned on a standard 80min cd-r.

CD1-3 can be burned on a 99min cd-r.

Total Running Time of the disks.

cd1 92:06 (898mb) *FIXED
cd2 94:15 (919mb)
cd3 94:32 (922mb)
cd4 66:54 (645mb)
How to burn
Use Padus DiscJuggler or Alcohol 120 to burn this disc
at the slowest possible speed.

Mirror for 99 minute version by Hardak =D>

Download link!
Shenmue II Full English for 99 Minute Cdr's

Buy the special 99 minute CDR's below.
http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/deta ... =175250905

Or here for the same brand as above.
http://www.smartplus.com/Computer-Acces ... iption.php

If you are from Australia or New Zealand you can get these discs here.
http://officeideas.com.au/product.php?prod=100B1551.3

Emulators/Optical Disc Emu's.

1gb uncompressed audio, CDI images of Shenmue 2 Xbox English Speech mod. 2.43gb download, extracts to 4.11gb's.

Mirror by yours truly Anthony817.

https://mega.nz/#!HNETzDgQ!E_hoqpOIUNNX ... FBVKRNu7HQ

For tips on how to get near perfect emulation of this game, you can follow the info found here! This has the original file for the 1gb release if you see my link above down.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J8N ... vnlZg/edit

Thanks to Chowchilla for the info!

SweetFX + profile by brad86. To turn off the CRT effect look for SweetFX_settings.txt and find the line "#define CRTAmount 1.00" and set the value to "0.00" and save if you want clearer graphics without scannlines. Also install this all to the root of NullDC.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ju0o2 ... HENMUE.rar

Here is the post with the SweetFX if you want to see screenshots.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46995&start=30

Last edited by Anthony817 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 41 times in total.

Anthony817 has received 2 thanks from: FluffySquishy, StuntmanSnake
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Thx for posting. FInally a full english release, but the 8KHz speech sounds terrible. STill better than nothing i guess, but I'd hope someone would be able to release a version with slightly better quality if thats possible.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Wow, there are some rather nifty tools available now that make Shenmue modding a breeze. Making a full English Shenmue II on Dreamcast was always something I wanted to do, but it was technically impossible to achieve on 700 MB media. But now that downsampling the audio is a possibility, it obviously is. However, it might be possible to get away without downsampling it so heavily. 8,000Hz is pretty bad. I see the French, German, and Spanish files have been removed in this release, but there are far many more unused, useless files on these discs that could be axed. Maps, audio, etc. Hell, there are even duplicates of entire area folders that serve absolutely no purpose. I don't think they even tried to clean things up. So, given my knowledge of what all isn't needed, I could more than likely do this while retaining more of the sound quality. All I need to know is what was used to downsample the AHX files, which I'm going to look around and find out how to do.

LanDC has received a thanks from: Anthony817
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:24 pm

^Long time no see. :shock:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:06 pm

Yeah i think there's loads of stuff that could be cut out as it's unused. Not just models and scenes but even some obscure stuff like leftover C sources, logs and the mysterious MT6 models. Also i think much music and npc speech was included for example on disc 1 which wasn't accessible as it was from harbour NPCs/Scenes. I wish the mt5 extractor would work for all scene files, that would make it easier to judge if a scene is "unused/development" stuff or not.

There is the original AM2 AHX extraction tools available for download at my modding compendium thread --> http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewto ... 643#856643

Ziming also has an interesting batch tool he showed me earlier that might make stuff much easier.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LanDC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:Yeah i think there's loads of stuff that could be cut out as it's unused. Not just models and scenes but even some obscure stuff like leftover C sources, logs and the mysterious MT6 models. Also i think much music and npc speech was included for example on disc 1 which wasn't accessible as it was from harbour NPCs/Scenes.

Right. I remember once I went as far as trying to remove every unused NPC (or ones meant to be used later), and all their dialogue, amongst everything else just to see how big the total filesize would come out to. I can't remember what it was precisely, but I do think factoring in slight downsampling of every voice clip, it could work on 700 MB.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ReRuss » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:22 pm

I got 2 of the discs downloaded so far to sorta reverse-engineer what they did besides downsampling, but at 8k the sound would be terrible... Only problem I see with the way I wanna do it, is how many people will go through the effort of getting 870mb cdrs...

Ive figure that with say an echelon rip (assuming they've cut out unused models n all) with unconverted xbox AFS files, I stand at 868mb before conversion and chopping unused audio
ReRuss
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ReRuss
XBL: ReRuss
Currently playing: Neo-Geo 6-Slot

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Afaik echelon didn't cut out anything besides the speech, i have seen all unused crap on their release. Afaik no release ever got to cut unused stuff, they all either cut the speech completely or downsampled it, i doubt any of the guys who did these is really aware that much unused stuff is on the discs. I have serious doubts many people would get 870 MB CDR, personally i think if you go as far to get some utopical CDRs it would be easier and not much more expensive to just snatch the real game at ebay in a good moment. I don't think there's good chances the "870 MB disc" release would ever be burned by anyone else, most would prolly simply use it in an emulator.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Anthony817 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Master Kyodai wrote:Thx for posting. FInally a full english release, but the 8KHz speech sounds terrible. STill better than nothing i guess, but I'd hope someone would be able to release a version with slightly better quality if thats possible.

You're welcome. :D

Hey guy's, thanks for the comments. I can direct you guy's to the original page, if you want to ask questions to the creator. He has stated that he will not be making a 99min Cdr release, as it takes up to 8 hours of swapping 30,000 or so audio files, not to mention converting all the Xbox sound files to a usable DC format.

There is however a Sandisk adaptor being developed, and an Operating system called Dreamshell, which can load full iso files off of the SD card, and so far up to 8gb sd cards have been proven to work with the DC OS.

Now, the Os is still in beta, and its getting better with every release. What we could do here with this option, is make the ISO as large as we wanted, since a SD card has so much more space. I think that in due time we will have a Perfect English Speech version with no downsampled audio files.

If you guy's want to ask Smith what tools and methods he used, you can see the thread at the link below, but you must register first to see the downloads index.

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... 30&start=0
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby ReRuss » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

I found my 870mb cdrs at dealextreme, takes forever to get here but it's a 50 pack, leaves me room for testing, and at best I can hook up like 10 other people with extras @ 4 discs a pop
ReRuss

Postby Mestre Ziming » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:22 pm

Actually I have made one version with English voices for Dreamcast years ago.
The sync issues can be fixed, it happens because he's using xbox synchronization for voices.

At that time I used 900mb media, but unfortunately my burner only had support for 825mb.

I remember Disc 1 and 4 were perfect with all voices.
In Discs 3 I could fit all voices, but had to remove all the capsule toys and language files.
In disc 2 was the most hardest to fit, need to remove the capsule toys, language files, maybe space harrier and the voices when playing or working at patchinko stands.

If my burner reached the 900mb, I could have made all 4 discs in perfect condition...

Even so I had to handle alot of unused files before removing what I removed, the duplicates area LanDC is talking about have a purpose, they are used when working at patchinko stands, so if you remove them, you couldn't do that part time job and the game would crash.
But of course there's always techniques to go around this issue when burning duplicated files in CD's...
Mestre Ziming

Postby ReRuss » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:15 pm

How hard would it be to keep everything in sync with DC version?
ReRuss

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 pm

I just signed up to this site specifically for this thread. I am very eager to play Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast with FULL ENGLISH support. I've downloaded all four discs and now just need to burn them.

From what I've read..the audio for free roaming isn't that great which is unfortunate. MUCH better than not at all though!

So is someone here planning to make the perfect edition with highest quality audio?

Also..is it possible to load our Shenmue 1 save file from our NTSC VMU?
StuntmanSnake
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ReRuss » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:38 pm

theres guides on how to hex edit an NTSC shenmue save to work with Shenmue II PAL online, however if you lack a BBA the easiest method is hex editing via dreamcast tools, I dont remember the name but I know it loads directlyon the dreamcas itself and offers hex editing VMU files

Prolly something I'll have to upload here later
ReRuss

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:36 pm

Hmm..where can I get these "Dreamcast tools"?
Also..no amount of hacking and modding of this Shenmue 2 can enable it to automatically recognize our NTSC save file?
StuntmanSnake
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Community Projects