Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcas

Postby Mojo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey there, first post in the forums...

I just downloaded and burned the first cd of 99 min smith repack and for some reason the audio is really terrible. Ryo literally sounds like Robocop. Am I doing something wrong? I am using the "imgburn" software to burn the disks and I'm using the 870 mb deal extreme disks(bough specially for this). I burned at 10x speed.

If anyone can help me on this please give me a shout, I would hate to find out I forked out 30 bucks for the cds for no good reason. I have no save games to test the other disks, haven't even burned them.
Mojo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spokane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Robocop? LMAO.

There is a good chance there is nothing wrong with your game. But at the same time there could be.

What I am saying is Shenmue is infamous for its fairly bad English voice acting. So its hard to tell if there is anything wrong unless you record it for us to hear.

Some might say he talks like Robocop even when it works right.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Mojo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 pm

Lol! Nope, pretty sure there is something wrong. I'm very familiar with the bad va from shenmue too, in the matter of fact, I always loved it!

Anyway, all the voices on my burned disc sound metallic and like they have been filtered to lower frequency, specially on the cutscenes. I've seem videos of this rip on youtube and the sound is supposed to be near perfect.

What software are you guys using to burn this? I though imgburn was the best for this.
Mojo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Spokane » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Hope you get it sorted out, its obvious you have a problem by the way you describe it now.

Sorry I can't help you.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby ReRuss » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm

I had a similer problem before with my dreamcast, it was a bad RF adapter. So you might try swapping a few things around possibly.

Another tip would be to try Alcohol 120 to burn, and slow as possible.
ReRuss
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ReRuss
XBL: ReRuss
Currently playing: Neo-Geo 6-Slot

Postby Mojo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:49 pm

The other games sound fine, so the problem is certainly not on the console.

I played around a bit more though, and now I realized that the weird voices just happens on the cutscenes, when the black bars appear on the screen. The audio on the regular in-game conversations is fine... all the rest is fine too(music, sound effects, etc) and that makes it even weirder to me. Do you guys have any idea on this?

Also, I don't really remember if I downloaded this from links posted here( it IS Smith's repack though). There is a big "!!!FIXED" written on the iso of the first cd. I wonder if the problem is just on the first cd... I have no way to test it though. I also wonder if I download an older version or a fix version that went wrong...
Mojo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Mojo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Oh I give up, now the second disk won't burn :sad: . Tried it four times already with both discjuggler and imgburn, 4 disks down the trashbin.

Would anyone with leftover 99 min cds be willing to burn this and ship it to south america? i'm willing to pay for it through paypal. You can pm me if you are willing.

Thanks for the help anyways. Guess I will dust off that pal shenmue II I have laying around...
Mojo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Anthony817 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Oh that is unfortunate news Mojo. I didn't get any 99minute cdr's yet, so I will be of no help here. Did you get the IMGBurn program with Discjuggler plugin files from Theisozone?

Maybe you could try burning it with Alcohol 120%?
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby ReRuss » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 pm

I done mine with Alcohol 120% and burned as slow as possible and it worked out fine.

Then again there is a small chance your burner doesnt like what youre doing...
ReRuss

Postby Anthony817 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 am

Updated the original post with a link to images of the disc's and covers and inlays for people that want them for the 99 minute version!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0RJGZPSZ
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Shou » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:46 pm

I've searched the forum for this but haven't found a definite answer. Has anyone done the opposite of this (ie add Japanese voices into the XBOX version)? :D
Shou
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:14 am

Mojo wrote:Oh I give up, now the second disk won't burn :sad: . Tried it four times already with both discjuggler and imgburn, 4 disks down the trashbin.

Would anyone with leftover 99 min cds be willing to burn this and ship it to south america? i'm willing to pay for it through paypal. You can pm me if you are willing.

Thanks for the help anyways. Guess I will dust off that pal shenmue II I have laying around...

I'll sell you 10 99min cd-r's for $10 USD.
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby kakuzawa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 am

Shou wrote:I've searched the forum for this but haven't found a definite answer. Has anyone done the opposite of this (ie add Japanese voices into the XBOX version)? :D

here
didn't play this dreamcast conversion yet so I can't give any comparison
anyway, simple conversion (like mine) to have jap voices on xbox makes problems with timing and lipsync (files size to be "injected" to iso is about 1.25gb). You don't have to replace them if you're using modified xbox (I added edited xbe to run either english or japanese dubbing, just be sure it's not graphical selector by any means).
kakuzawa

Currently playing: Used to modify S2X

Postby Shou » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:22 am

kakuzawa wrote:
Shou wrote:I've searched the forum for this but haven't found a definite answer. Has anyone done the opposite of this (ie add Japanese voices into the XBOX version)? :D

here
anyway, simple conversion (like mine) to have jap voices on xbox makes problems with timing and lipsync (files size to be "injected" to iso is about 1.25gb). You don't have to replace them if you're using modified xbox (I added edited xbe to run either english or japanese dubbing, just be sure it's not graphical selector by any means).

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't see a link to download it?

I have a modded XBOX but it would be great to get it on a DVD.
Shou
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ReRuss » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:22 pm

kakuzawa wrote:

here

Timing and lipsync issues will always be an issue with strait up audio swaps. I'm sure if anyone wanted to be picky enough it could be dealt with, but so far noone seems too picky.
ReRuss

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects