Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue 2 Full English Xbox Speech mod for Sega Dreamcas

Postby StuntmanSnake » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Nico0020 wrote: Yea, the audio in the 99min version is just fine. The freespeech is great, the only place it really seems to suffer any is during cutscenes. Eventually I will get a GDEMU for my dreamcast to play the 1GB version. Anyways, thank you smith and everyone who worked on this release. I still have some 99min CD-Rs if anyone is interested please PM me.

Here is a video of some random freespeech from disc 1. Sorry for the quality again, its from my phone.

phpBB [video]

Totally off-topic but is that a Sony Bravia TV? If so, we have the same TV, haha.

Anyway, the quality sounds great. Shame the cutscenes don't sound this good too.
Last edited by StuntmanSnake on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuntmanSnake
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Nico0020 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:55 am

Yes it is actually. Bravia was one of the few TVs I could find with a VGA port for my DC. Tv works great, not too expensive either here.
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: ONESTAR v2
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Undub 99 Min

Postby Senpai Gamer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Im using this on reicast! And it works.

(That should save the author from dozens of Qs about it)
Senpai Gamer
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Dragon Quest IX

Postby Greg_Punzo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Has anyone ever tested the full uncompressed english dub version on a GD-EMU or with dreamshell through the serial port sd card adapter yet?
Greg_Punzo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: GregoryPunzo

Postby Nico0020 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:28 am

Dreamshell wont be able to run this game via the serial port. That port is not fast enough to handle most full retail games. Simpler games can be run though it, and home brew.

GDemu or a HDD mod can run the game no problem. That is what the GDI image is for, so you can play this with no audio compression whatsoever. The only reason there is some audio compression in the 99 min version is due to the limitations of CD media space.

GDemu is really the best way to enjoy shenmue 2 in English, but the devices are in high demand and a bit pricey. I plan to pick one up sometime this year.
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby StuntmanSnake » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:33 am

Nico0020 wrote: Dreamshell wont be able to run this game via the serial port. That port is not fast enough to handle most full retail games. Simpler games can be run though it, and home brew.

GDemu or a HDD mod can run the game no problem. That is what the GDI image is for, so you can play this with no audio compression whatsoever. The only reason there is some audio compression in the 99 min version is due to the limitations of CD media space.

GDemu is really the best way to enjoy shenmue 2 in English, but the devices are in high demand and a bit pricey. I plan to pick one up sometime this year.

Thanks to you, I educated myself on this so called GDemu. My mind is blown. The dream of playing Shenmue 2 with perfect quality english voice is very much a reality! To top it all off, you even have faster load times. Amazing.

I'm going to keep trying the GDemu site for the chance to place an order. I highly suggest all of you who want to play this, and any other game on the Dreamcast for that matter, to look into this as well. It's around $120 according to the 110 euro conversion, but from the videos I've seen, it is well worth the money.

No more 99 min disc hunting and burning in general. \:D/
StuntmanSnake
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby zaneiken » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:11 am

StuntmanSnake wrote:I educated myself on this so called GDemu. My mind is blown

There's also another alternative called USB-GDROM Controller. Loads images from USB thumbdrives and external HDDs instead of SD card.
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby PILMAN » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Gdemu looks interesting, and the load times of course heavily improved, however it seems more realistic with the progress of demul for me to emulate the game. It seems that graphically, it looks identical to the dreamcast, the only downside is some sound issues, but, for me it seems like a nice replacement and all I need is a converter for my dreamcast controller and I am golden.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:57 am

zaneiken wrote:
StuntmanSnake wrote:I educated myself on this so called GDemu. My mind is blown

There's also another alternative called USB-GDROM Controller. Loads images from USB thumbdrives and external HDDs instead of SD card.

Thanks for the heads up. Though, this device seems harder to track down and is almost double the price of GDEMU. It also requires actually cutting your console and causing irreversible changes. Personally, I still see the GDEMU as the better buy as the only upside I see to the USB-GDROM is that it maintains the systems original airflow.
StuntmanSnake
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby zaneiken » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am

StuntmanSnake wrote:It also requires actually cutting your console and causing irreversible changes.

Not necessarily. The USB jack can be mounted the other way around, so accessing it would be by opening the lid and inserting the thumb drive into the gap where the GD-ROM drive was previously, ala GDEMU.
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby StuntmanSnake » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:33 pm

zaneiken wrote:
StuntmanSnake wrote:It also requires actually cutting your console and causing irreversible changes.

Not necessarily. The USB jack can be mounted the other way around, so accessing it would be by opening the lid and inserting the thumb drive into the gap where the GD-ROM drive was previously, ala GDEMU.

Ah, I see. However, in doing so it seems it would then eliminate the only benefit that I personally see going for it, the system's original airflow.
StuntmanSnake
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby 9646gt » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:13 am

Any word on discs at all? dying to get my hands on this and gdemus are out of my price range right now.
9646gt
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:51 am

Actually yes. I received some from Nico0020 and they worked this time the first burn I did. I messaged him to see exactly what brand they were and what site he got them from. I have tried every brand I could think of. Banana Digital, SKC and MediaRange and none were working on my Dreamcast. I was starting to think it was my DVD burner, my Dreamcast GDRom drive, or even Windows 10 that might be the culprit.

For some unearthly reason I haven't had luck this past month or 2 with any other brands. I knew damn well that my DVD drive could burn 99 minute discs as I did this 2 years ago for people back in 2013 and had zero issues. This was all with the Banana brand, those turned out bad, like every batch made recently. I didn't know it at the time but I also got some MediaRange, but they did the same thing the Bananas do and that is make the laser on the DC sound like a machine gun.

The issue with the SKC discs are completely different. The just simply tell me to insert game disc, they don't even have the laser problem where it sounds like it is killing the system.

Once I know the brand Nico has we should all be good. They are completely white, so they are the type which aren't labeled but made to be set up for printing your own custom labels.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby Nico0020 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:49 am

I was actually curious about the possibility of label printing. Ive never used that kind of printer before, so I didn't know what kind of discs are compatible. These are a very smooth white surface. I want to make myself a nice set with disc art, but the sticker labels can eventually warp the disc when they warm up. So printing directly on the disc is the best option. Anyone here actually have that kind of printer?
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:10 pm

I would be interested to know too. I have a friend I am talking to and he has some of those printable disc stickers, but these Ritek you got are definitely the kind you can ink jet print on.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects