A few modding questions

(Modding and other series related projects)

A few modding questions

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm

I haven't posted in the dojo for quite a while since my interrest in modding (mainly translating) Shenmue just comes and goes in waves.
I recently began to import the japanese dub into the PAL version wich itself is not that hard to do but keeping it close to the original japanese script actually is. That tiny bit of Shenmue-acquired japanese won't help that much here. :lol:
If only the translation tools would support japanese fonts, that would at least make it somewhat possible to get some rudimentary translations as help...

Along the way I also want to improve some minor things in the game and that is where my questions (and maybe future ones) come in.

I have tried to edit the water texture to make it look less atomic-waste-green and simply more realistic. I have extraced the file and changed the hue and saturation with Photoshop and exported it back to PVR with the original settings. Unfortunately it doesn't work. nullDC freezes as soon as the Hazuki pond comes into the picture. Does anyone have any idea why it doesn't accept the only slightly modified texture and even crashes?
Would it be a better way to just use a completely different water texture, maybe the one from Shenmue IIx? (If someone happens to know where it is stored in, it would be nice if he/she could tell me where it is)

Another thing that I tried is to give Ryo the more detailled texures from the passport model for his jacket and jeans. I exported and reimported everything to all the different models of Ryo with the Shenmue Texture Editor but no matter what I change the game keeps loading the original textures. I'm already in contact with the creator of this (and many others of the translation pack) tool but he's pretty buisy and I have to wait for an answer. Since then I thought it might be not a bad idea to ask around if someone has experience in modifying the textures in Shenmue I.

Damn, I should keep my postings a little shorter.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Community Projects