Shenmue Chapter 2 Recruitment [UPDATED: 17/10/2012]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Shenmue Chapter 2 Recruitment [UPDATED: 17/10/2012]

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Roles Available

Concept Artist
It will be up to you to create our Art Bible. The devil's in the details, and we need those details. You'll be required to do a little bit of research in order to nail down that Shenmue style, and give the boat, amongst other things, a certain level of authenticity.

Mapper
We have basic layouts, but we need layouts fit for a game. You need to be highly versatile, able to make multiple changes throughout the project to incorporate any gameplay segments that are cut from or added to the game.

How to Apply

Please don't apply in this topic. I want you to PM me. Tell me what you're good at, what you're not good at, how much time you have, when you can work on it, when you can't work on it, and above all, show me how determined you are. I care for determination just as much as I do for skill. I'll review your application, and let you know whether or not you're successful (which you likely will be by default anyway) Your first task will be given within the next few days of being invited to the project, along with your account privilege upgrade.

Future Roles

Keep your eye on this topic, because more roles will become available in the very near future.

In the meantime, feel free to say what you like, pitching ideas or discussing the project itself. And FYI, this is not one of those projects that won't come to fruition. If I can't build a team on the Dojo, I will build one elsewhere, but this project is happening, and it will be completed, but it will take a long time, and the team will require encouragement and support from the community that they're doing this for.

Thank you.
Last edited by MiTT3NZ on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Shenmue Chapter 2 Recruitment

Postby KiBa » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:54 pm

You seem serious.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I am.

Feel free to quote that an stick something profoundly disgusting on the end of it (no, not QWERTY's mam on my bellend) Could turn out quite fun.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:16 pm

If I write for this, can I make Ryo not have the personality of a tree stump?

Kenny has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 pm

No.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:12 am

I would love to help write the story for this.

I would love to mod too but I don't have enough time anymore sadly.

Let me know what I can do to help.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Bluecast » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 am

Let me know when you need voices. Like I said I can do many. Small sample is on my channel. Thing is I do so many I sometimes forget what I can do. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:20 am

Cant see anywhere i can be of help to this, but good luck. :nice!:

Peter has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:55 am

Any plans about the platform/engine yet?
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 am

Yes, but there are many things to be taken into consideration at the moment before I begin designing the game. Research is the most important thing right now (eg we need to know the timescale of a trip from Yokosuka to Aberdeen), followed by extraction (eg need to know if facial animations can be extracted), and getting a basic plotline down (gameplay elements can easily be intergrated into a story)

Until I've built up the initial team and got a bit of work done, I can't say for sure which engine will be used or what platform it will appear on (although it's fairly obvious to say that PC and/or Mac would be first choice before looking into mobile or Dreamcast)

Also, if you're waiting for a reply to your PM, please be patient, as I want to give the topic enough time to be seen before handling any decisions on recruitment. Like I said, you most likely do have the job, I'm just making sure that every point of this project is scheduled efficiently.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Takumi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:45 pm

I'd still recommend we use Unity. Most flexible / robust open source AAA game development platform available atm.

EDIT: Should also mention, this would allow us to quickly prototype things without worrying about granular engine / physics details.
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: xilezor
Currently playing: Shenmue I PAL

Postby Sailors? » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Still unsure on this, seen too many user projects fall down the can. I know you're determined but time kills motivation, especially if nobodies getting paid. I wish you all the best of luck though, would be a great thing to play.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

I can see why we could use unity, but really to achieve the same physics as shenmue would be unreal given unity's resources, ive heard of this on sega uses called hedgehog engine but I dont know head nor tail about it, as far as modding goes if your serious about this we need full real development, stuff that goes way beyond modding, we need someone with real experience for sorting like shenmue resources, suckling the teats of 3dripperdx, wont do us any good, The only engine I use regularly is gamebryo and very few have access to it so its not practical, we need someone who can write software and can decompile the old shenmue files, without sega's old engines and software and source codes and what not this will not be easy. we cannot just do a slapbang job, we are living up to the name of Yu Suzuki and anything other than perfect is unacceptable as a serious project, ill gather some resources and do what I can and a small team of programmers im friends with, let me know how I can help.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:29 pm

This will need a much bigger team than a team of 4.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby south carmain » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:39 pm

mrslig100 wrote: I can see why we could use unity, but really to achieve the same physics as shenmue would be unreal given unity's resources, ive heard of this on sega uses called hedgehog engine but I dont know head nor tail about it, as far as modding goes if your serious about this we need full real development, stuff that goes way beyond modding, we need someone with real experience for sorting like shenmue resources, suckling the teats of 3dripperdx, wont do us any good, The only engine I use regularly is gamebryo and very few have access to it so its not practical, we need someone who can write software and can decompile the old shenmue files, without sega's old engines and software and source codes and what not this will not be easy. we cannot just do a slapbang job, we are living up to the name of Yu Suzuki and anything other than perfect is unacceptable as a serious project, ill gather some resources and do what I can and a small team of programmers im friends with, let me know how I can help.

Unity can handle far more than shenmue's "fake" physics, even the lucky hit game for android plays a lot more fluidly than in shenmue :???:
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to Community Projects