Project: Sekai

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Project: Sekai

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 am

Okay, R3N. Just for you. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyn9XECUYt8&

Watch in 1080p

(Youtube compressed it weird. Ugh!)

Here's a .avi file instead. Just put VLC on repeat.
https://mega.co.nz/#!sc4DgSpC!NhVSOXM5p ... vklMAzAZQI

Also, instead of just redoing some of it, I'm going to try to do what Ryudo and MiTT3NZ suggested as well as completely reanimate it. Instead of only 8 frames looping, I think I'll make it 30 frames. Animating layer by layer is a bitch. xD.

BTW, anyone have any tutorials on removing objects/and ripping models from nulldc? I tried to follow the one here but there's quite a few dead links.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: R3N
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby raymonf » Sat May 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Dead links? Such as...?
I'm a good Internet-scourer. I'll be able to find it for you on my HD or the interwebs.
raymonf
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 pm

I think this a great idea, in fact, I'm kinda surprsied this hasn't been done before. As others have mentioned though, I think choosing to have Ryo narrate a story would be ill-advised, he's just not the talkative type. Also, I presume these are side stories right? If so, I really don't see point of using Ryo as a protagonist for one at all, though, I personally wouldn't be too drawn towards using Nozomi or Fuku san as protagonists either. They're sweet characters, but they're ultimately lacking that spark to carry a story by themselves. I'd be more a attracted to using some of the more colourful characters, like Tom or that guy with the quiff, he's interesting. Ren and Joy would probably work too. Shenhua is interesting, but at this stage in the saga she's almost too mysterious, so I'd be cautious of using her, personally. Xiuying Hong is probably my favourite character in the game full stop, and very interesting, but (due to the esteem in which I hold the character) I think it would be a challenge to do her justice.

Anyway, just some of my random musings, go with what you feel would work best. Good luck!
Last edited by mue 26 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 pm

If it's a younger Ryo before the events then maybe Ryo is a bit more lively.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Ryo's already pretty young though, he's like 17 or 18 or something. I don't think a more extroverted Ryo would be very believable at all. He does certainly have dark streak in him, and a liking for inflicting pain on his enemies, in the first game especially, but he's still a pretty introverted chap.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Sat May 04, 2013 10:33 pm

I wonder how they did it in Shenmue Gai?

I tried looking for videos of people playing it to see, but those seem impossibly scarce if not completely nonexistent.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 04, 2013 10:37 pm

mue 26 wrote: Ryo's already pretty young though, he's like 17 or 18 or something. I don't think a more extroverted Ryo would be very believable at all. He does certainly have dark streak in him, and a liking for inflicting pain on his enemies, in the first game especially, but he's still a pretty introverted chap.

Those flashbacks as a kid he was pretty fiesty. So seeing maybe a 12-13 year old Ryo in a slice of life story. Learning some life lessons from iwao. Heck maybe can include the story how Ryo was teased for liking a girl and since then been shy to show it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby UnHoly Bible » Sat May 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Another tip, use the Shenmue 1 guidebook for backgrounds on all the characters in the game. I might have it lying around somewhere on my computer. That way you can insert random NPC encounters knowing their backgrounds and personalities from the original game.

edit: here is the versus guide book: http://www.mediafire.com/?j7ci6yr5b1jny3b

All the character Bios are in the final pages, but the rest of the book has lots of good stuff as well.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 am

Rakim wrote: I wonder how they did it in Shenmue Gai?

I tried looking for videos of people playing it to see, but those seem impossibly scarce if not completely nonexistent.

This is true. I'd have thought some Japanese speaking Shenmue fan would have been all over that by now, and there would have been more documented about that game. We actually seem to know very little about it.

Those flashbacks as a kid he was pretty fiesty. So seeing maybe a 12-13 year old Ryo in a slice of life story. Learning some life lessons from iwao. Heck maybe can include the story how Ryo was teased for liking a girl and since then been shy to show it.

This is possible of course. I just think it's probably easier and makes more sense to base a story around one of the more colourful and slightly more irrelevant (in the main storyline anyway) characters in the Shenmue universe. Just think about a the possibilities of a story that be done for Tom. I for one, would sure like to know the events that lead an Indian man to constantly talk as if he were a Japanese man doing a bad impression of Jamaican Patois :lol: . Maybe he's Indo-Caribbean and his community retained an accent that was a unique blend of Indian and Patois, but he was forced to leave for Japan at a young age and started to pick up a Japanese twang? Oooh, see I could write a story on Tom!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks for all the interest and replies, everyone. I'll try to address things as best as I can.

First, I have to reveal my idea and inspiration and motives for this project. Not to generalize but I think it's pretty obvious that Visual novels are popular in Japan, though not nearly as popular in the USA. This grants me a unique opportunity to give fans of Shenmue something else Shenmue related to play, and for the Japanese, something more familiar. I don't think the IP is nearly as popular in Japan as it is in Europe or the U.S., thus a Visual Novel would hopefully garner more interest than a more western style game.

Hopefully depending on the success of the project, Japanese, Europeans and the U.S would feel even more likely to want another real Shenmue game and would voice their concerns to Sega and Sega Japan (which, I personally feel may be more receptive of the idea, depending on if this project fails or not.) Sega, seeing people supporting a free fan-game might give more thought into their apparent stubbornness when it comes to Shenmue. With the right promotion, translation, and social awareness, it might (probably not) force Sega to reconsider.

As for addressing individual thoughts.

@ raymonf - I'll have to go back and have a look, I think there was some specific Shenmue model ripper. Anyway, I think I may try alternatives such as taking screenshots where there are no NPCs and then just overlaying it onto the image.

@ mue 26 - Being as I plan an episodic game, there is time for many stories. The first episode will be more of a testing ground than anything else. There will also be a beta demo that only demonstrates the UX, the retelling of the opening scene of Shenmue, paths, interactivity, and unlockables. It'll probably be only 10 minutes of gameplay.

If the first episode received well, it grants me time and indeed incentive to continue working on more interesting stories until all four are complete (and maybe even more.) I hope to distribute it globally (perhaps even someone may translate it). Anyway, the point of an episodic game is that it doesn't exactly have to be set in stone as far as the story goes, and that I believe is bonus.

Some original story idea's I've been throwing around are

Exploring how Fuku-San is taking Iwao's death and his concern over Ryo.
Exploring how Nozomi is adapting to life in Canada
An exploration of Shenhua's supernatural abilities.
A prologue side story involving Ren, Joy and Wong, before they met Ryo
A Chronicle of Iwao's journeys in China.

As you can see, none of these are trying to be a conclusion to the story or directly involve Ryo, they're all sort of open-ended so as to not drastically upset fans and such.

As for the retelling of story, I feel that there are some that just absolutely need to be adapted. Not 1:1 mind you, there needs to be familiarity yet something different. I liked the anonymous idea thrown about a while ago, and that is the script I have been working on. Maybe I'll post the first of the ten pages I've written so you all can give feed back.

@ UnHoly Bible - Thank you, I have this and it is really a great resource. I also have an offline backup copy of the entire Shenmue Neoseeker in case I don't have access to the internet. (I don't know if that's exactly legal, but I use the info for projects)

@Ryudo - Side story involving Tom and young Ryo are very interesting to think about.

@Rakim - A lot of info on Shenmue Gai & some Accompanying pictures. It's an entire hands-on detailing how the game works, classes, and such. Pretty cool.

As this is only a Project and not anything definitive I can't really guarantee plans won't change. But now that I've lay out my motives, and such there will be volunteers to help with the project? Art, scripts, etc. I've gotten a few pms that are quite intriguing so I'll keep my eye on that.

Let me know if any of my ideas are unrealistic and such, and I'll try to evolve if it's reasonable as I can't do everything everyone wants and ultimately I have to make the game what I think it best is. Hope you all understand. (:

ShenmueTree has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Rakim
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby R3N » Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 am

mue 26 wrote: I think this a great idea, in fact, I'm kinda surprsied this hasn't been done before. As others have mentioned though, I think choosing to have Ryo narrate a story would be ill-advised, he's just not the talkative type. Also, I presume these are side stories right? If so, I really don't see point of using Ryo as a protagonist for one at all, though, I personally wouldn't be too drawn towards using Nozomi or Fuku san as protagonists either. They're sweet characters, but they're ultimately lacking that spark to carry a story by themselves. I'd be more a attracted to using some of the more colourful characters, like Tom or that guy with the quiff, he's interesting. Ren and Joy would probably work too. Shenhua is interesting, but at this stage in the saga she's almost too mysterious, so I'd be cautious of using her, personally. Xiuying Hong is probably my favourite character in the game full stop, and very interesting, but (due to the esteem in which I hold the character) I think it would be a challenge to do her justice.

Anyway, just some of my random musings, go with what you feel would work best. Good luck!

Actually I think Fuku san story would be wonderful with proper ingenious comedy. It would be a completely different ambient. Since the character has a different mindset it would be goofy story instead of the typical serious Ryo story.
It could be a funny parody of shenmue and bring some light comedy to the game.

It could be a dating sim style of game :rotflmao:
main star Fuku san:
It would star like this:
Now Since I get rid of Ryo the girls would not be able to resist me :) I would surely be the number one playboy now that Ryo is gone and all the babes will be mine!!! I would train hard in the dojo to show off my manliness and finally get lay with Akemi.

Seriously many Japanese novel games has stupid intros like this is it kinda funny actually.
you could make him train at dojo to increase certain stat.
Or do jobs for Ine- san to earn some money.
Also earn charm by going to the bar at night.
you could even include a pool mini game if possible.
This game would work great with the right script that can make us laugh.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mue 26 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am

Maybe Fuku San would work,to be honest it's been ages since I've played the game. I can't see how a story about Nozomi settling down in Canada would be anything but dull though, that's not to discourage Shenmuetree from trying it though, I'd be interested and impressed if he could make it work.

I also support the idea of the guy whose last post said Yu Suzuki should narrate the game (not sure where the post disappeared to). He could be a great 4th wall breaking and jaded narrator providing much humour. With little random lines and break downs like "shit, I can't believe you've made me resort to this Sega! A 47 million dollar magnum opus, to THIS! Ahem, sorry, sorry, on with the story now". Or "And Nozomi was very lonely in her new home....yeah OK I know this shit is dull as, and yeah I have days when I think I'd rather stay in bed all day rather than do this, but bear with me." :P
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby R3N » Mon May 06, 2013 10:36 am

I do agree with you with Nozomi. She is cute and innocent but she lacks personality. She is so dull and boring.....
Nozomi could end up finding a new love in Canada or something. I really doubt Ryo loves her or see her more than just a friend.The only woman that Ryo showed interest was with Xiuying especially in that scene where he stare at her while she sleep.
Xiu Ying would also be an interesting character too but... It would not work for this type of game because it would require lots of fights scenes.
Well I think I was first to mention Yu on second page. Also as I mention the excuse would be that he found Ryo notebook and decided to make the game.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby raymonf » Fri May 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Now, what about the fluffy kitten?
raymonf

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 pm

raymonf wrote: Now, what about the fluffy kitten?

She embarks on a journey to avenge the black car that ran over her mother...

Giorgio has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects