Shenmue 2D

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue 2D

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Damn. If I had your skills it'd make my job much easier!
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby YCC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Damn. If I had your skills it'd make my job much easier!

Never too late to learn :).

Small update. Did some tweaking and rendered out using a more realistic skin material (Subsurface Scattering Material). First render is straight from Max. Second render has the center face with Photoshop editing. He looks too feminine and will have to be tweaked even more. The lips are a bit too perky for me. Hair is all messed up in the front. He needs to look more Japanese.

Edit:
YCC
Asia Travel Representative

Postby YCC » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Original and Edited renders after some tweaking last night. Still doesn't look like Ryo, but I'm kind of digging this look. I keep thinking of Cowboy Bebop for some reason (Spike-ish?).

Ryo has:
-Smaller eyes
-Different eyebrow shape
-thicker lips

Might need to scale everything around.

Update. Super Saiyan Ryo Look-a-Like:

I think I need to get back to making him look like Ryo...
YCC

Postby Fenix » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 am

Maybe it's too much spiky. Ryo's hair goes to his back side.

If you can imitate the haircut, most of your work will be done :)

Fenix has received a thanks from: YCC
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby YCC » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:50 pm

You're absolutely right. Thanks for the input and reference.

YCC has received a thanks from: Fenix
YCC

Postby Mr.Din » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:29 am

This is pretty amazing. :) I wanted to do a Shenmue 2d before but the art style was more like a late Genesis title, mainly because I like the idea of Shenmue in 16 bit.
Mr.Din

PSN: DinSidd
XBL: DinSidd
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby YCC » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Finally started learning Mudbox (sculpting). I've come to the realization that I'll need to add a lot more detail in the original low poly meshes before sculpting. I'm liking the program though and it should add some much needed realism.

He looks fairly pissed off, but if the last picture says anything (I plastered a promo poster's face over the model without UVW unwrapping so that's why it's all messed up on the sides), he should look better once he's textured properly, but I suppose that depends on my painting ability, which I'll also have to learn a bit more about as well.

His hair is still just a placeholder and is not indicative of the final look.
YCC

Postby YCC » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Getting used to Mudbox, though the folds will hopefully change for the better as I get more experience with it.

The face has been tweaked several times to what you see now, but it obviously doesn't look like in-game Ryo. His face is strange. I can't figure out why mine is different. Reference material doesn't help that much, when his face keeps changing from image to image. Scratching my head quite a bit. It could just be my 'interpretation' of Ryo, but I would rather get his face correct.

Anyway, a friend has suggested I begin texturing his face, so I think that's probably the best way to go for now. Hopefully more of his likeness comes through, especially when I also replace the hair with his 'real' hair.

If anyone has some decent reference for his face though...namely front and profile shots of his 'in-game' version, it would be amazing if anyone could send them to me.

P.S. The crappy white pixel edging is due to some setting with the hair plugin. It's not a concern since his hair will be replaced.

YCC has received 2 thanks from: ShenmueTree, wude
YCC

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

I'll try

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: YCC
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby YCC » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reference. They're not exactly what I needed, but I appreciate your attempt.

So I just said 'screw it' and pasted the flattest front face in-game reference that I have and moved stuff around to fit it. It's the first time I can admit that it looks like Ryo from the game. Sometimes, you just have to trace...which I loathe, but whatever. This needs to be accurate. It's amazing how different my proportions were compared to this in-game screenshot/model.

YCC

Postby YCC » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks for posting the links, but again, this isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in emulating the in-game face, the one we all remember. Not the high-res version available in the passport and in some promotional material or the other weird faces of Ryo that are also in the promo stuff.

Big difference between this:

and these:

With the last image being what looks to be the high res model used in the passport. I think the high res looks way too serious/cool instead of his boyish/rounder look in the games.
YCC

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Well to be fair I DID post In-game screenshots. It was not promotional art, it was just different anglesof his face which I had just made on nulldc. It seems like you want shots from cutscenes or some sort.....
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:07 am

Leave it with me, I'll send you some orthographic and perspective shots later on. Or I could just send you the ingame head if you'd like, although it may be slightly warped. I'll do my best to fix it where I can though.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: YCC
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby YCC » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:04 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Well to be fair I DID post In-game screenshots. It was not promotional art, it was just different anglesof his face which I had just made on nulldc. It seems like you want shots from cutscenes or some sort.....

I want to do a slightly more realistic version of in-game Ryo. Regardless, you don't have to worry about it. I'm sticking to what I've modeled and the reference I've accrued.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Leave it with me, I'll send you some orthographic and perspective shots later on. Or I could just send you the ingame head if you'd like, although it may be slightly warped. I'll do my best to fix it where I can though.

Thanks for the offer, but like I said above, I think I'll just wing it for now and start texturing. I've setup my current model to finally start unwrapping/texturing so I'll see how it turns out after it's all said and done. If it's too far away from the Ryo we know, I'll make a decision whether to continue or remodel him at that time.

I do have a question though, is the front of his hair/polygons attached to his face mesh? This is what I'm guessing and have setup my model that way, but it'd be nice to have confirmation. Check out my model below as my guess as to what they did in the game:

YCC

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects