Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

Postby Nopileus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:33 pm

kogami wrote: It's just after this sequence that the game has a problem?

https://youtu.be/9XQgXxilynE?t=2787

The sequence with Fuku-san does not?

You must have misunderstood, i had no issues at all. Your fix was successful :nice!:
Nopileus
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby kogami » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Yes I misunderstood ^^

This is good news :)
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:20 pm

I need 99 minute CD-Rs! Or someone to send me some already burnt of the Shenmue Undub that work! TY to anyone that knows where to get them :)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99]

Postby Jonesy47 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 pm

sm1th wrote: Kogami,

If you can just use the sort order from the undub version I and ReviveDC made.
Use gdi tools to extract the sort.txt or use isobuster.
Dont use duplicates-once in mkisofs.
On disk 3 only use 2 cdda (leave the 2 second weird audio cdda out of it..) *this way motorcycle scene plays perfect
On disk 1 remember to use cdda to avoid heartbeats bar glitch.
Use all of the data excluding the speech files from the undub version I and ReviveDC made. (since people are saying some textures are glitched)
Open the ReviveDC undub in isobuster and view the start of 2nd session lba in hex.
Find the CD00 flags and hex edit to the correct lba that you prefer.
If you do this it shouldn't take more than an hour to have the undub completed and ready to be uploaded.
Also If you want to use the cinematic speech from my version feel free to do so.
I would say that all of the the cinematics in ReviveDC version are damn close to perfect. (maybe 98 percent complete) thats good enough.
The key is that your version has the complete undub of FREE Speech.
If you need the jap speech audio files I have all of them already downsampled.

Maybe try the -cache-inodes in mkisofs that comrade suggested?
-cache-inodes wrote: Cache inode and device numbers to find hard links to files. If mkisofs finds a hard link (a file with multiple names), then the file will only appear once on the CD. This helps to save space on the CD. The option -cache-inodes is default on UNIX like operating systems. Be careful when using this option on a filesystem without unique inode numbers as it may result in files containing the wrong content on CD.

If you do this your version should have no issues whatsoever.

Now disc two works but did the sort order ever get fixed?
If it hasnt been, I wouldn't recommend playing a burnt copy of this unless you want your dreamcast laser to die on you.
It's still amazing for gdrom loaders or emulators tho!

EDIT: Im not sure if sort order is the right way to put it...basically optimization that groups like revivedc use so cdrs put a lot less strain on the laser wasnt originally done for this undub. Im not sure if thats any different now. It would be good to find out tho before burning a 99min cdr that may kill your laser.
Jonesy47
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Nico0020 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:56 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I need 99 minute CD-Rs! Or someone to send me some already burnt of the Shenmue Undub that work! TY to anyone that knows where to get them :)

PM me, I have some 99 minute CD-Rs.
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: ONESTAR v2
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue Undub 99 Min

Postby zaneiken » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Update on my 99min issues:
I've had a lot more success after converting the MDS/MDF files to standard CDI (mount MDS/MDF with Daemon Tools and create CDI using DiscJuggler).
Now all 3 discs load up beautifully, where before they would sometimes struggle to boot - perhaps some difference in how Alcohol 120% handles overburns?
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:27 am

I added version .cdi on the first page, If you have a problem, try this version.

kogami has received a thanks from: Jonesy47
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Drakul » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:40 am

Mec merci! j'attendais ton retour avec impatience et la je rentre de vacances et boom!
Je vais DL ca en retrant et faut vraiment que je me trouve des CD-R 99Min, ils en vendent en france? genre Verbatim au quartier chinois ou autre?
Drakul
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby zaneiken » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:41 pm

I finished playing through the 99-min version last night. Thank you kogami for all your hard work put into this. For someone like me who prefers the original voice acting, this was very enjoyable to play through. I hope in the future someone helps you translate the remaining Japanese script. =D>

For anyone who's complained in this thread about these discs not being optimised: that's a load of rubbish. The problem is not with kogami's optimisation, as he used the GD-ROM sort order. The problem is the *.mds/*.mdf format and Alcohol 120%. Either convert the images to *.cdi like I did, or download kogami's recently uploaded *.cdi version. Burn using IMGburn with the DiscJuggler plug-in.

I originally had the same laser grinding/read issues that have been reported by others, but after burning the *.cdi versions, everything reads smoothly, with the laser not working any harder than when reading the original GD-ROM.
As long as you have a burner compatible with 99-min discs, you should have no problem with this.

zaneiken has received a thanks from: Jonesy47
zaneiken
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jonesy47 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:16 pm

zaneiken wrote:For anyone who's complained in this thread about these discs not being optimised: that's a load of rubbish. The problem is not with kogami's optimisation, as he used the GD-ROM sort order. The problem is the *.mds/*.mdf format and Alcohol 120%. Either convert the images to *.cdi like I did, or download kogami's recently uploaded *.cdi version. Burn using IMGburn with the DiscJuggler plug-in.

I originally had the same laser grinding/read issues that have been reported by others, but after burning the *.cdi versions, everything reads smoothly, with the laser not working any harder than when reading the original GD-ROM.
As long as you have a burner compatible with 99-min discs, you should have no problem with this.

This is AWESOME news!!!
I look forward to purchasing some 99 min cdrs!
PM me if anyone has any they may want to unload!

edit: THANK YOU KOGAMI!!!
Jonesy47
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Nico0020 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:07 am

Jonesy47, check your PMs. I can get you some. Anyone else looking for some you can PM me also.
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby kogami » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:36 am

J'ai acheté un vieux graveur de marque Pionneur (15€) exprès pour pouvoir graver Shenmue sur des CD-R99 min et perso je n'ai rencontré aucun bug sur les 3 CD. J'ai une Dreamcast Neuve qui à servie peu de fois donc peut-être aussi que ça joue. Les CD je les est trouvé sur le net à l'époque du projet.

Il y'a que le CD 3 qui ne passe pas du 1er coup car il me manqué de la place sur le CD et je n'ai pas rajouté ce qu'il fallait pour le bootage automatique mais une fois ingame, plus aucun soucis.

J'avais le choix de faire comme ça ou bien de lancer le CD Utopia avant, j'ai préféré cette solution quitte à relancer le CD plusieurs fois pour qui démarre.

The 3 % which stays in Japanese are not absolutely embarrassing for the understanding of the story because it is about certain PNJ. I am satisfied to learn that everything works well on your dreamcast

kogami has received a thanks from: Jonesy47
kogami
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jonesy47 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:56 pm

kogami wrote:The 3 % which stays in Japanese are not absolutely embarrassing for the understanding of the story because it is about certain PNJ. I am satisfied to learn that everything works well on your dreamcast

Are there any current plans for another 80min version of this (since disc 2 has been fixed now) and, if so, in cdi format? if not, would you be opposed to someone else doing it?
I figure you would just replace the audio files from the old 80 min version of disc 2 and inject them into the new 99min version. That would work, right? Since the new 99min disc has the right order now, all it needs is the correct audio bitrate to fit on an 80min?

edit: I converted your original 80 min disc 1 release from nero to discjuggler format like zaneiken did for the 99 min version and guess what? IT ALSO works much better as far as not putting stress on the laser. I assume the 3rd disc will now also be fine if converted to cdi. All we would really need is 80 min disc 2 to be fixed and we would have a FULL free speech 80 min Shenmue Undub on our hands!
Jonesy47
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Nico0020 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:01 am

Kogami,

I just finished your updated version of disc 2. No problems at all. Thank you for all your hard work. This release is amazing!
Nico0020
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby xDennisx » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:04 am

I have been having trouble getting the discs to work. :sad:

I burned all three discs (.mdf / .mds 99min version) with Alcohol 120% per the instructions posted on the original post. With overburning enabled. No luck though...
Alcohol 120% said it was successful but the Dreamcast just makes ugly sounds when I insert the discs. It won't boot whether with or without my old utopia1.1 disc.

I have no idea what went wrong.
Could it be the burner didn't support overburning, but how will I know? Shouldn't the burn fail if that was the case?
Could it be the discs I bought? MediaRange CD-r 900MB/100min multispeed. I couldnt find 99 min discs anywhere so I thought the 100 min discs should work, right?

If someone could help out I would be forever thankful!
xDennisx
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects