Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue Undub [Japanese Speech Mod] [CD-R 80/99/GDI]

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 am

Fantastic =D> , can't wait for this!

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: Switch
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Moetaeusu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 am

Switch wrote:Here's a quick update on the project status: the project team has recently succeeded in creating full-audio game images that fit onto 80-minute CD-Rs. After some final minor development work these will soon be put through a period of beta testing on real hardware to make sure they work as expected.

About a delivery estimate: it's not possible to be specific yet. At its broadest - definitely within 2018 and before Shenmue III! It will largely come down to whether any major issues arise during beta testing. If it goes smoothly then within the first half of the year should be realistic.

Oh well, works for me, I guess. After all I've waited, it'll probably be worth waiting a bit more. I guess I can cut my teeth with What's Shenmue in the meantime #-o. Thanks to everyone involved in both projects, btw =D>.

Edit: And boo to the manufacturers of lousy CD-R 900s!!!

Moetaeusu has received a thanks from: Switch
Moetaeusu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby spud1897 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Looking forward to this. Great work.

spud1897 has received a thanks from: Switch
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Drakul » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 pm

sounds great, I'll had it to my list of zips :P

However I think I remember when kogami and smith were working on each of their version that it was impossible to fit everything on cd-80 and he had to cut a sequence or some such, I don't exactly recall.
Drakul

Postby Switch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:14 am

Drakul wrote:However I think I remember when kogami and smith were working on each of their version that it was impossible to fit everything on cd-80 and he had to cut a sequence or some such, I don't exactly recall.

Yes, my understanding is that kogami released an 80-minute version but had to withdraw it due to a critical issue being found quite far into the gameplay. The new 80-minute version (which is being worked on by the Shenmue Master team) is being put together through a manual process of identifying and removing unused data files, so testing will be an important final stage.
Last edited by Switch on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Switch has received a thanks from: Nankeiro
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Sounds very laborious. Best of luck!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 am

No way this will have the option to have both the original Japanese spoken dialogue and the Japanese written subtitles? Would help in learning the language if done correctly.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Switch » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:02 am

Jerid'sRamenShop wrote: No way this will have the option to have both the original Japanese spoken dialogue and the Japanese written subtitles? Would help in learning the language if done correctly.

Afraid not, to make this version the Japanese subtitles have been replaced with English (the game doesn't support both sets at once).
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Switch wrote:
Drakul wrote:However I think I remember when kogami and smith were working on each of their version that it was impossible to fit everything on cd-80 and he had to cut a sequence or some such, I don't exactly recall.

Yes, my understanding is that kogami released an 80-minute version but had to withdraw it due to a critical issue being found quite far into the gameplay. The new 80-minute version (which is being worked on by the Shenmue Master team) is being put together through a manual process of identifying and removing unused data files, so testing will be an important final stage.

is it too much to ask that when this new 80 minute version comes out a release will be offered with built in widescreen patch? \:D/
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Moetaeusu » Tue May 29, 2018 11:56 am

So I trust this project won't be halted now that the remakes have been announced, will it? Whatever it is they're going to change, if anything, it's still important to have the chance to play original Shenmue with Japanese audio. Maybe you guys could provide an update on your progress for the past few months, if only to ease my mind? :-"

Moetaeusu has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Moetaeusu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Switch » Wed May 30, 2018 6:06 am

Moetaeusu wrote: So I trust this project won't be halted now that the remakes have been announced, will it?

Here's the update I posted on Phantom River Stone about the project following Sega's recent announcement of Shenmue I & II. (I could have sworn I updated this thread at the same time but apparently not):

Thanks to everyone who has been following the progress of this project. As you will be aware this week Sega has announced the Shenmue I & II re-releases for release in 2018 which should allow players to play an "Undub" officially. As a result, and out of respect for Sega coming to the party, the project team is reconsidering the 100% Undub release timing and plans for its release have been put on hold for now. At the same time a lot of work has gone into the project, and I'll update again if there is further news. Thank you for your understanding.

Moetaeusu wrote: Whatever it is they're going to change, if anything, it's still important to have the chance to play original Shenmue with Japanese audio.

The project team would love to be able to share what has been done - but due to the above circumstances, the decision was made not to go ahead with the release right at this time, sorry. (Kogami's existing version is recommended for people looking to play on the Dreamcast).
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Moetaeusu » Wed May 30, 2018 6:53 am

Switch wrote: Thanks to everyone who has been following the progress of this project. As you will be aware this week Sega has announced the Shenmue I & II re-releases for release in 2018 which should allow players to play an "Undub" officially. As a result, and out of respect for Sega coming to the party, the project team is reconsidering the 100% Undub release timing and plans for its release have been put on hold for now. At the same time a lot of work has gone into the project, and I'll update again if there is further news. Thank you for your understanding.

While somewhat understandable, I believe I speak for many when I say that this is indeed very sucky news. Still, I'm sure much thought was put into the decision and nothing I say is likely to change it, so I can only respect it even if I don't like it.

Moetaeusu wrote:(Kogami's existing version is recommended for people looking to play on the Dreamcast).

Sure, that would be an almost optimal solution... if there was any way to get decent CD-R 99s anywhere in the freaking planet :cry:. My DC has proven to be quite picky even with regular CD-R 80s, so I'm not gonna throw more money away at dubious 99s on eBay or Alibaba. If only someone still had some reliable ones...
Moetaeusu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby WestSide » Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Alright, so I've been following this project for quite a while now, and was very excited that the released for regular CD-R's looked like it was close to completion. I came back to this page every couple days, just to see if there was any updates.

My dreams have now been shattered. This was similar to the feeling I got when Absolute Zero announced that they were dropping all work on the Tales series a couple months ago (but not as bad).

I am sorely disappointed that this project has been dropped, I don't see what connection Shenmue HD has to do with this project. I was actually planning on buying that release as well, but don't think I will anymore since it has caused this project to be cancelled/put on hiatus. I would implore the good people working on Shenmue Undub to please reconsider their decision, especially since it would be a shame for all that great work to go to waste.

I have several other friends who were eagerly anticipating this release ever since I told them about it. When I informed them on the update, they were equally as upset as I was.

Sincerely,

-A concerned fan
WestSide
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 am

WestSide wrote: Alright, so I've been following this project for quite a while now, and was very excited that the released for regular CD-R's looked like it was close to completion. I came back to this page every couple days, just to see if there was any updates.

My dreams have now been shattered. This was similar to the feeling I got when Absolute Zero announced that they were dropping all work on the Tales series a couple months ago (but not as bad).

I am sorely disappointed that this project has been dropped, I don't see what connection Shenmue HD has to do with this project. I was actually planning on buying that release as well, but don't think I will anymore since it has caused this project to be cancelled/put on hiatus. I would implore the good people working on Shenmue Undub to please reconsider their decision, especially since it would be a shame for all that great work to go to waste.

I have several other friends who were eagerly anticipating this release ever since I told them about it. When I informed them on the update, they were equally as upset as I was.

Sincerely,

-A concerned fan

gotta say I agree with this guy, shenmue hd is cool and all but I can't play it on dreamcast
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Switch » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:09 am

I understand the disappointment people feel, and the strong interest is appreciated. But given the obvious overlap with Shenmue 1&2 HD, the team feels that the project needs to maintain a low profile at this time around Sega's official release. Note though, that while the project has been moth-balled for now, it has not been officially canceled and the team will be looking at options.

P.S. Despite the set-back to the planned 100% Undub schedule, I hope you will consider changing your mind and pre-order a copy of I & II. The better the sales, the more support the franchise may get from Sega, which may lead to bigger things in the future.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects